yconic - Waterloo or U of T for Electrical Engineering
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Waterloo or U of T for Electrical Engineering

A photo of T2011 T2011
I am an international student and I got accepted to the Electrical Engineering Programs at UofT (St. Georges) and UWaterloo (Co-op, with $22,000 scholarship). I know that this a common topic (believe me when I say that I have read hundreds of comments regarding this issue) that has been much discussed. But after procrastinating for almost two months, I am still undecided. I know that Waterloo is the cheaper option, but it does not have any summer breaks (so I will be away from my family and friends for long periods of time). I live in South-East Asia, and it takes about 72hrs to reach Canada. So I want to know that which university will give me the best undergraduate experience? Which university is the best for my particular program? I have heard that ECE undergrads have to often repeat terms, is it true? I have heard such contrasting sides of UofT that I don't know what to believe, but are the class sizes really that big? I know that it sounds cliche`d but I don't want to be another face in the crowd. So please share your views and help me make one of the biggest decisions of my life. I thank you in advance.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Both are good programs/schools. Personally if I was offered 22 grand to attend UW for any engineering program i would take it over uoft. Really the question you have to ask yourself is if your willing to be away from home during the summer. You might be able to work something out with UW.

I cant speak about either uni from experience but there are some people on here who can.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inyoface inyoface
Can you elaborate on what part of ECE you'd like to do? Are you computers or electrical? If computers is it hardware or software?
Personally, $22000 would factor into my decision.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of T2011 T2011
I must confess that I am not exactly sure which part of ECE (Software or Hardware) I am going to pursue in my future. That makes Waterloo an even clearer choice since there 6 co-op terms. But one of the biggest reasons why I am considering UofT is that five of my friends will also attend there (No they did not get the offer from Waterloo). And I think that it must be considered considering that I will be staying in a foreign country. But that being said, I want to know which program will let me test my skills more, be it in terms research or work experience? I have often heard that ECE undergrads have to often repeat terms, is it true? And is it a similar case for UofT as well?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inyoface inyoface
I have sent you a rather lengthy message. It contains some opinions and speculations so I didn't want to post them here.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LRooke LRooke

@inyoface wrote
I have sent you a rather lengthy message. It contains some opinions and speculations so I didn't want to post them here.

Send it to me too, if you don't mind. I am in the same predicament myself.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of rawrawraw rawrawraw
well if you are planning to return to China after your studies, then U of T is a better choice because it has more international recognition than UW.
Was this helpful? Yes 0