yconic - Waterloo Planning
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Waterloo Planning

A photo of caribbeandiva caribbeandiva
I got accepted to Waterloo Planning but I am not sure if I should go to that or not. Exactly what kind of job can you get by studying this? People tell me you can go into urban planning, architecture and even business :/
Can someone please clarify this for me?
In addition, does anyone know about the workload and level of difficulty?
What is the environment at Waterloo?
I know that this is a lot of questions, thank you in advance for your help!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

This post was deleted

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@VictorNgo wrote
Are you interested in cities and their development?

I recommend checking out the first few pages in the ASCP guide about education in urban planning to get a sense of the profession. The Bureau of Labor Statistics has some good information as well.

Waterloo also has a careers page.

You can get jobs in the public, private (consulting generally) and non-profit sector. It would be difficult to get a job in solely in architecture (you would need a professional architecture degree), but you can get a job at an architectural firm doing planning for them. Buildings don't just exist in a vacuum, but need to integrate well with neighbourhoods and communities. If you're more interested in actual design, you can specialize in urban design for your planning degree, which is the bridge between planning and architecture.

From the wiki entry:

All planners deal with land use, space and place, but provide different viewpoints towards the planning of the built environment. For instance, in planning for a neighbourhood centre, the economic development planner would suggest locations that are economically viable and would be subjected to a steady flow of potential customers. He or she would analyse statistics and projections like the floor-space needed, where the customers are to be drawn from, location of competitors and so forth. The urban designer will come in and suggest principles that make the neighbourhood centre 'liveable', including how to ensure safety in design, design guidelines for developers, and so forth. The infrastructure and transport planner would ensure the efficient provision of basic infrastructure services, including water, electricity and sewerage needed for the smooth running of the businesses, as well as plan for basic public transport services or delineate out cycling paths.

However, I should note that most employers will prefer candidates to have a Master's degree in Planning.

I'm not familiar with Waterloo so I can't comment on their program specifically. But if you have any other questions about the profession, you are welcome to message me.

I agree.

For a profession that really isnt that technical (no math involved) the amount of money that can be made is understated. My old man is one and although hes not quite making six figures with the benefits provided by the city and the time he has off work its definitely a great profession.

Make sure you get work experience.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted