yconic - Waterloo Res - Meal Plans/ Food discounts?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Waterloo Res - Meal Plans/ Food discounts?

A photo of paramecium paramecium
Is it true that you get food discounts on certain residences at waterloo but not all? please explain!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

A photo of aimango aimango
I think the more expensive the meal plan you get, the bigger discount you get. Check out the site, I dunno the rates. Even if you get the lightest meal plan, youll get a discount.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@aimango wrote
I think the more expensive the meal plan you get, the bigger discount you get. Check out the site, I dunno the rates. Even if you get the lightest meal plan, youll get a discount.

what is the best res for a dd student?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

what are the discounts of getting any meal plan on food eateries around campus?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of North North

@paramecium wrote

what is the best res for a dd student?

"best" rez depends on the person - for the DDs that closest rez to Laurier is UWP.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of North North

@paramecium wrote
what are the discounts of getting any meal plan on food eateries around campus?

Discount depends on the meal plan. Try to make sense of it form UW Food services website -
http://www.foodservices.uwaterloo.ca/mealplans/valueplus.php & http://www.foodservices.uwaterloo.ca/mealplans/village1_rev.php
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Where do you get a bus pass? Is it included in any fees?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of North North

@paramecium wrote
Where do you get a bus pass? Is it included in any fees?

Your WatCard works as your bus pass for GRT. Just show it to eh bus driver and get on.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

How hard is CS 135?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of greygoose greygoose
This is how the meal plan "discount" works:

TRADITIONAL STYLE
- You pay retarded amount of money to UW for meal plan (~$450/mo).
- UW deducts 50% off immediately for maintenance/staff costs.
- You get a 50% discount on all food you buy with meal plan dollars *for that term*.

So if you have meal plan dollars left over for future terms, unless you're getting a meal plan with the same discount that term, you will not receive discounts in the future.

SUITE STYLE
- Discount based on the size of the meal plan you buy, no money deducted for maintenance.
- Lose the discount the term you stop paying for your meal plans.

Note that food on campus is *expensive*--it's cheaper to eat in the university plaza, where food is marginally better quality.

@paramecium wrote
How hard is CS 135?

Hard if you have bad habits from learning to program with ugly languages like C#/C++/Java. I hear the averages for people who have never had any exposure to programming before actually have higher averages than those who did (and learned badly).

I had some exposure to programming, but not a huge amount prior to 135. Recursion was damn hard for me to understand at first in specific contexts (binary tree processing), but it comes with time and practice. I did quite well in the course. The averages I think are usually a high 70? It drops in CS 136 with the exposure to C in a bit more rigorous manner than you'd have seen it before.

Though I also regret not taking CS 145, but I had no idea in the beginning. It was definitely better than 135/136, and now the CS 145/146 curriculum is looking insane. I'm kind of jealous :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0