yconic - Waterloo Residence Discussion
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Waterloo Residence Discussion

A photo of Stranger Stranger
Hey Waterloosers,
What residence community are you hoping for?

My preferences:
1. UWP or MKV (UWP if I decide to do BBA/BCS cause it's closest to Laurier)
2. CLV (South) or V1 (don't want mandatory meal plan or traditional style option)
3. REV (definitely don't want traditional style... But it's where the fitness center is... Also most social res, I've heard.)

:bom:

Was this helpful? Yes 0
71 replies

A photo of Sky7ar Sky7ar
well, im actually not so sure
I'm just new to this and dont know much about these rez' so can u tell me (or anyone w/ experiences) which is a better place to stay if i wanna maintain a good academic standing while making some decent frds?
the thing is i heard CS requires quite alot of hard work, correct me if im wrong('ll b glad to hear it), and i get distracted quite easily >,<
suggestions?

ps im in CS reg now and i wanna make it into co-op, so i guess academic performance's essential, but still, dont wanna be a complete nerd :colors:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inspirative inspirative
For my ranking form it'd probably be -

1. MKV
2. REV

-rest are w/e.
the thing is, I would only want to live in suite if I can get MKV.
I hope the app doesn't make you chose between apart. or dorm ;\
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@inspirative wrote

the thing is, I would only want to live in suite if I can get MKV.

MKV only offers the 4-person suite so you're fine. :P

@Sky7ar wrote
I'm just new to this and dont know much about these rez' so can u tell me (or anyone w/ experiences) which is a better place to stay if i wanna maintain a good academic standing while making some decent frds?
the thing is i heard CS requires quite alot of hard work, correct me if im wrong('ll b glad to hear it), and i get distracted quite easily >,<
suggestions?

ps im in CS reg now and i wanna make it into co-op, so i guess academic performance's essential, but still, dont wanna be a complete nerd :colors:

Have you read up on the different res communities?
http://www.housing.uwaterloo.ca/residences/index.html

I've never checked them out in person..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Just for lulz:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgLW3W9kd5o
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Sky7ar Sky7ar

@Stranger wrote

@Sky7ar wrote
suggestions?

Have you read up on the different res communities?
http://www.housing.uwaterloo.ca/residences/index.html

I've never checked them out in person..

I've read it but still cant make up my mind. they all seem to have its pros & cons & thats y im here to look for opinions.
not sure if suite or trad's better

@Stranger wrote
Just for lulz:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgLW3W9kd5o

wth, can we keep pets in dorm rooms? ;P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kimm kimm
I think i may apply for MKV,
Does anyone know how far away MKV or the other building are from the school?
I can't seem to find any info on the site,
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of link link
Im going for a tour of the campus and residences this friday so if u have any questions you'd like me to ask the guide, post here. I'll try to get as much info as i can
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inspirative inspirative

@kimm wrote

Basically.

UW Place is the furthest from all the university residences, it's more east and on the south end.

It's near the engineering/math buildings. MKV, REV, V1 are all together pretty much, from memory they were a bit north west from the gym. Then you have CLV, which is off campus (you'd have to bus to the university first).

All the colleges are together near the environment buildings.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@kimm wrote

You can find the location of all the residences on google maps.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango

@inspirative wrote

@kimm wrote

Basically.

UW Place is the furthest from all the university residences, it's more east and on the south end.

It's near the engineering/math buildings. MKV, REV, V1 are all together pretty much, from memory they were a bit north west from the gym. Then you have CLV, which is off campus (you'd have to bus to the university first).

All the colleges are together near the environment buildings.

this pretty much covers it. google maps doesnt help at all if you havent been to the campus. MKV is an awesome res, ALMOST wish I lived there, but I loved UWP because its right beside the plaza. Had bbt basically everyday :3
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of smiley8 smiley8
Hello, I have a quick question. Which residence is located closest to the science buildings? I'm most likely going to go to Waterloo for science and business. Does anyone know the names of the buildings in which the courses for this program most likely take place in? Thanks!!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Do you guys a meal plan will be worth it? Is it cheaper to buy your own stuff?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CaliLeung CaliLeung
Right now for me it's:
1. V1
2. MKV
3. REV
4. UWP
5. CLV
I really want a single room, I don't think I could stand living with another person in the same room and quite frankly, I know that I'd be a horrible roommate and I'd piss people off (I have random and annoying habits). I don't like how UWP is (kinda) far from the campus. It's closer if you consider how I need to go to Laurier as well (my program) but I don't really like it... and of course, CLV sucks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango
^ actually UWP would be most suitable for you since it is literally a 2min bus ride to laurier. but yeah i am so happy i didnt get rev or a bunk bed room for my 1st year, i woulda hated it.

@smiley8 wrote
Hello, I have a quick question. Which residence is located closest to the science buildings? I'm most likely going to go to Waterloo for science and business. Does anyone know the names of the buildings in which the courses for this program most likely take place in? Thanks!!!

youll be fine living at any residence since waterloo is set up so that all the buildings are basically in the middle of a circle layout, and all the residences are outside of the circle. the science buildings are actually right in the middle of the circle, theyre not off on the corners or anything like arts and engineering. You'd be taking classes in PHYS, CHEM, BIO1, BIO2 (LOL Whatd you expect?) actually i am surprised the science buildings arent named after people like all the math and eng buildings are.

for V1 & REV, meal plan is a requirement. if you are gonna live at MKV, i advise getting a meal plan since V1 & REV are so close. UWP - just get the lite one since the plaza is way closer and more convenient. If you end up getting CLV - it sucks for you LOL. getting a meal plan depends on how much youll be on campus, because CLV is farrrr off campus. but it's quite close to sobey's for groceries.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CaliLeung CaliLeung

@aimango wrote
^ actually UWP would be most suitable for you since it is literally a 2min bus ride to laurier. but yeah i am so happy i didnt get rev or a bunk bed room for my 1st year, i woulda hated it.

Sorry, I wasn't really being clear enough... I know that UWP is closer to WLU and that'd be a good thing, but I don't like it anyway. I'm not really a fan of suite style (though if it was MKV I'd be fine with it) I just really hate sharing a room and I'd kill myself if I had a bunk bed... I feel that UWP is kinda away from the UW campus anyway, though not as much as CLV...
Which residence did you end up getting into?
Edit: Nevermind, I just saw you went to UWP.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@aimango wrote
this pretty much covers it. google maps doesnt help at all if you havent been to the campus. MKV is an awesome res, ALMOST wish I lived there, but I loved UWP because its right beside the plaza. Had bbt basically everyday :3

What do you mean? Doesn't it show the general area of the residences?
What's bbt? :P

@aimango wrote
for V1 & REV, meal plan is a requirement. if you are gonna live at MKV, i advise getting a meal plan since V1 & REV are so close.

I'm confused.. Why should you get a meal plan cause of V1 & REV? :s Are there a lot of food places around there?

~~~

UWP doesn't seem that far away from the university. It actually seems pretty close. :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Kooh Kooh

@Stranger wrote

@aimango wrote

What do you mean? Doesn't it show the general area of the residences?
What's bbt? :P

@aimango wrote
for V1 & REV, meal plan is a requirement. if you are gonna live at MKV, i advise getting a meal plan since V1 & REV are so close.

I'm confused.. Why should you get a meal plan cause of V1 & REV? :s Are there a lot of food places around there?

~~~

UWP doesn't seem that far away from the university. It actually seems pretty close. :P

bbt= Bubble Tea

As for V1 and REV, I guess they don't have cooking equipment so you would need a meal plan. I didn't see any stores nearby those residences unless you count the plaza by UWP.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
1. MKV
2. UWP
3. V1
4. REV
5. CLV

:) Anyone know when the actual rez forms are due?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Kooh wrote
As for V1 and REV, I guess they don't have cooking equipment so you would need a meal plan. I didn't see any stores nearby those residences unless you count the plaza by UWP.

Isn't there a grocery shuttle or something like that?
Anyone know how long the shuttle will take to get to the grocery stores?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Kooh Kooh

@Stranger wrote

@Kooh wrote

Isn't there a grocery shuttle or something like that?
Anyone know how long the shuttle will take to get to the grocery stores?

I think there is a grocery shuttle to Sobeys or whatever is nearby. Maybe like 15 minute ride to get there.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

http://www.housing.uwaterloo.ca/general-info/grocery-shuttle.html

There's a grocery shuttle that takes you to Food Basics or Zehrs from MKV and CLV. There's also a grocery shuttle that takes you to Sobeys or ValuMart from UWP.

I don't want to get a meal plan... I'd probably save money that way too.

Estimating food costs for a week:
- beverages: $3.00
- bread: $2.80
- fruits & veggies: $8.00 =nomnomnom=
- eggs: $2.80
- other foods: $7.00 (e.g. cereal, pasta, spreads, or whatever other thing I may want that week)
-------------
Approx. total with tax: $27

That means approximately $108 monthly. $432 per term. Not bad. Compare that to getting a meal plan that costs around $2000 per term.

I'm planning to eat sparingly, btw. I want to lose 15lbs anyway (and I definitely don't want to gain the "freshman 15"). xD

I'll probably bringing a crate full of beverages, condiments, cooking oil and other stuff from home when I first move in. :P

Edit: I just found out that students living in UWP, CLV, and MKV can get these optional meal plans which start out at $750 a term for the most basic plan.
Was this helpful? Yes 0