yconic - Waterloo Residences
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Waterloo Residences

A photo of leahquin leahquin
I'm wondering if anyone has any opinions on the UW rez? I'm really considering going there, and I have no idea where I would want to live...
Was this helpful? Yes 0
12 replies

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
MKV and UWP are nice (suite style). The living room/kitchen area is huge.

V1 singles aren't bad and the bathrooms are pretty clean even though they're shared by an entire floor. But the caf food at V1 is absolutely terrible.

CLV is also nice (townhouse), but it's farther from campus.

REV is okay..rooms are kind of small though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of leviaidan leviaidan
I want to go to V1 because it has single rooms.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@inthemaking wrote

V1 singles aren't bad and the bathrooms are pretty clean even though they're shared by an entire floor. But the caf food at V1 is absolutely terrible.

MKV seems really nice, possibly REV. I definitely want a roommate, I've shared a room with my sister all my life and I don't know what I'd do with myself if I had my own room, it would be too quiet..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I lived in SJU for my first year. They have the 2nd best residence cafeteria on campus (Congrad Grebel is 1st), the rez is relatively central to all campus buildings and the female rez has a huge tv, fireplace and piano (it's a Catholic rez but you don't have to be Catholic - men and women are in separate buildings but you can go from one to the other. I also lived in Eby Hall which is off campus residence. It's still close to the U and nearer to the plazas. In the apts you have 2 other roommates. You can cook for yourself or apply for a meal plan. I recommend both highly.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TessaSmits TessaSmits

@inthemaking wrote

How far is the CLV from campus?

And what residence would you recommend if I don't want to follow a meal plan?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking

@TessaSmits wrote

@inthemaking wrote

How far is the CLV from campus?

And what residence would you recommend if I don't want to follow a meal plan?

CLV is on the other (west) side of Columbia Lake - just off campus. [url]http://www.uwaterloo.ca/map/index.php#[/url]

I would recommend MKV.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Irish Irish
My sister goes to Waterloo and stayed at REV for 1st year. She is quiet and thought it would be easier to meet people. It was, she met lots of friends even though she is really shy. She still lives with some of them in a house. She says it is the best residence, but prob a lot of other people think the same thing.
Rooms are small, but it is a great atmosphere, people party but you can shut your door or go to the library and get your studying done. And it is clean. I have eaten at the caf and it not amazing, but pretty good.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Irish wrote
My sister goes to Waterloo and stayed at REV for 1st year. She is quiet and thought it would be easier to meet people. It was, she met lots of friends even though she is really shy. She still lives with some of them in a house. She says it is the best residence, but prob a lot of other people think the same thing.
Rooms are small, but it is a great atmosphere, people party but you can shut your door or go to the library and get your studying done. And it is clean. I have eaten at the caf and it not amazing, but pretty good.

I'm really liking the sound of REV and MKV
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waterlooser waterlooser
okay i lived in REV in first year so
REV is the party residence, though you might have the odd chance of getting a quiet floor. imho, they have the best caf food in uw
CLV is just soooo far away. you are completely reliant on the bus system, especially in the winter
MKV is the newest residence, nothing more needs to be said
V1 is okay, except most floors are like dead quiet no activity whatsoever
UWP can also be quiet sometimes but can be pretty liveeeee sometimes
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango
^ i agree wit everything above.
MKV or UWP would be the best places to live IMO because you dont have to share a room with anyone but you still get roomies. the choice depends on your faculty, ie. math/engineering students would prefer UWP, others MKV due to the distance to class.

V1 sucks. Im sorry it just does. The walls are like paper thin and the dining is terrible. The 1st floor lounge isnt bad though.

REV I actually never really go there. but there is always crap happening there due to the excessive amnt of parties, lol police over there quite a lot. so if you dont like noisiness then you probably wont like it.

CLV i have no idea but i hear its pretty chill there since its an actual house. but yeah its hella far from everything except CIF, the gym.

btw i currently live in UWP. and i enjoy it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cq6 cq6
I have heard that the residences aren't very good. Is it a good idea to live off-campus?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waterlooser waterlooser

@cq6 wrote
I have heard that the residences aren't very good. Is it a good idea to live off-campus?

depends where you live...commuting especially if you take the 85 or any highway can be a pain in the morning

if you mean off-campus as like finding a house to rent or living with a sibling i would truthfully not do that because i feel like you should always have that first-year dorm experience.
Was this helpful? Yes 0