yconic - Waterloo SE courses?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Waterloo SE courses?

A photo of Chovester Chovester
Wondering about courses in Waterloo Software Engineering :)
I received my admission and they sent me a paper of all the courses I needed to take in my first year.
There were around 12 courses (6/term) and all of them were related to computers/physics...
Don't I need an English or a Social Science course in my first year in ANY university?
Is waterloo an exception and do I only need to take the courses listed, or do I need to take any extras during my first year?

ps. I tried to look up other sites, but couldn't find any related to my question and the paper I got from Waterloo only says things like I'll be taught by world-class experts from waterloo's internationally recognized school of computer science etc. ):
Was this helpful? Yes 0
2 replies

A photo of North North

@Chovester wrote
I received my admission and they sent me a paper of all the courses I needed to take in my first year.
There were around 12 courses (6/term) and all of them were related to computers/physics...
Don't I need an English or a Social Science course in my first year in ANY university?
Is waterloo an exception and do I only need to take the courses listed, or do I need to take any extras during my first year?

ps. I tried to look up other sites, but couldn't find any related to my question and the paper I got from Waterloo only says things like I'll be taught by world-class experts from waterloo's internationally recognized school of computer science etc. ):

http://ugradcalendar.uwaterloo.ca/page/ENG-Software-Engineering

Not all degress require social science courses. Though almost every arts degree does. That link is the specific requirements for SE at UW.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango

@Chovester wrote

http://www.softeng.uwaterloo.ca/Prospective/curriculum.htm#sequencing for 2016s. no for any program here, you will have a bunch of required courses and electives you can take ANYTHING in, you might have to fulfill some arts or humanities credits depending on the degree, but you can take them at any time. you can take a 1st year course in your 4th year if you wanted to.

for SE, you do not get electives in first yr so you dont really need to worry about that. starting 2nd year you can start picking courses. we have specific elective requirements, i.e. 2 sci electives required, 1 english/speech comm course, and i think 2 from a big selection. its all on that site, which directs you to the lists of acceptable courses. you dont really need to worry about this til like 1B term though.

the list may look confusing with all the codes and such.. also the SE101, 102, 201, 202... courses are seminars and are not real courses, except for SE101 which is a 0.25 credit (most courses are 0.5)
Was this helpful? Yes 0