Waterloo Software Engineering, Designing an app
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Waterloo Software Engineering, Designing an app

A photo of ZalM ZalM
So I read here that one way to increase your chances to get into Software Engineering at Waterloo is to design an application for Android/iOS. I was wondering how one would be able to include this in the AIF and what kind of app it would have to be (how detailed, what possible functions). Any examples of apps that would be considered would help as well. <br> <br>Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
12 replies

A photo of 2012Applicant 2012Applicant
Don't worry about it much. By saying that you designed an app for ios or android and explaining what you did (technically) that should be fine. You do not have to provide proof and source code, however you also don't want to lie.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ZalM ZalM
Thanks a lot! Exactly the answer i needed :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of seasharp seasharp
If you really wanted to "include it", then providing a link to a GitHub account or something would be one way to go, or if it's published on the Android Market/App Store, include that.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jxjhappy jxjhappy
Does this designing an app for ios or android count really much for the addmission determining?
Because I am applying to software engineering too and I really have no idea about the details for designing such apps? Do I have to learn and try this or I will still have a pretty good chance to get in even if I don't design any apps for ios or android?
Thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of volnxebec volnxebec
I know friends of mine who got accepted to waterloo software when he applied in April (2 years back)... all they care is good marks.. Designing app will help u get a coop, but I will say it won't help that much for admission unless ur mark is just boarderline
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of rgawdzik rgawdzik
Apps are very super easy to make and publish, I am sure you won't have a problem.

If you want, PM me and I can get you started.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of xOrangeBearx xOrangeBearx

@rgawdzik wrote
Apps are very super easy to make and publish, I am sure you won't have a problem.

Don't listen to this guy, apps are hard to make and take a lot of time. They take lots of hard-work and dedication.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@xOrangeBearx wrote

@rgawdzik wrote

Don't listen to this guy, apps are hard to make and take a lot of time. They take lots of hard-work and dedication.

lol, this guy goes to my school. He never made an app before. He doesn't understand that it depends on what type of app you make.

Sure 3D games take a while to make, I've made them before, but something simple is just like an ordinary computer program.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of tyuo9980 tyuo9980
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.RICE

Here's a game that I started over the summer. It took a while though for the graphics and the music and I had to rush it near the end.

It was a group effort so in addition to having the initiative to work on a project like this I also had to manage the project, assign tasks to everyone, and schedule group meetings. I tried to make sure that everyone met deadlines but that just doesn't always happen.

If you plan to make an app, you should talk about what motivated you to do this project, what you learned, all that stuff.

Doing a project like this that's outside of school is somewhat unique. I would say that this alone can boost you by 1%.

I asked a professor who is also part of admissions and he said that most people, with activities such as DECA, robotics, some math competitions, and other school clubs, get a score of 2-3 out of a possible 5 on the AIF. Any national/international level achievements can boost you to the 4-5 range. That includes participating in F1 internationals, VEX/FIRST robotics internationals, olympiads, and even maybe starting something unique such as this.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@tyuo9980 wrote
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.RICE

Here's a game that I started over the summer. It took a while though for the graphics and the music and I had to rush it near the end.

It was a group effort so in addition to having the initiative to work on a project like this I also had to manage the project, assign tasks to everyone, and schedule group meetings. I tried to make sure that everyone met deadlines but that just doesn't always happen.

If you plan to make an app, you should talk about what motivated you to do this project, what you learned, all that stuff.

Doing a project like this that's outside of school is somewhat unique. I would say that this alone can boost you by 1%.

I asked a professor who is also part of admissions and he said that most people, with activities such as DECA, robotics, some math competitions, and other school clubs, get a score of 2-3 out of a possible 5 on the AIF. Any national/international level achievements can boost you to the 4-5 range. That includes participating in F1 internationals, VEX/FIRST robotics internationals, olympiads, and even maybe starting something unique such as this.

I personally made 8 apps, and 2 games, 1 2D & 1 3D in 2012. They are great, not only for the learning experience, but they make you stand out, not only by schools, but by big names like MSFT & INTC.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jxjhappy jxjhappy
Then what would be the safe marks for getting into software engineering if I don't have experience of developing that kind of programs( probably I won't have a really strong AFI either)?

By the way, where can we declare all the programs or projects that we've developed so far or experiences familiar to those on our AFI?(Is that the only place for us to declare those is in the engineering portion, third essay question with 600 characters limitation?)

Thanks for the explaiations.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of tyuo9980 tyuo9980

@jxjhappy wrote
Then what would be the safe marks for getting into software engineering if I don't have experience of developing that kind of programs( probably I won't have a really strong AFI either)?

By the way, where can we declare all the programs or projects that we've developed so far or experiences familiar to those on our AFI?(Is that the only place for us to declare those is in the engineering portion, third essay question with 600 characters limitation?)

Thanks for the explaiations.

https://uwaterloo.ca/quest/applicants/how-do-i/admission-information-form

its "Admission information form (AIF)" btw.

You will be able to put all extra info on the AIF.

I would say minimum 90 if u dont have any ECs or done any contests.

~88 if you do have ECs.

To be safe just aim for 90s.
Was this helpful? Yes 0