yconic - Waterloo Software Engineering (How Can i Prepare?)
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Waterloo Software Engineering (How Can i Prepare?)

A photo of iRamie iRamie
I am in grade 11 right now and I plan on going to Waterloo for Software Engineering.

My average right now is around 85% with math being my lowest mark (81%). I can program very well and already have some experience programming for companies and managing server level applications, etc..
But the thing i am worried about is my marks because i have heard people with 90+ can get into software engineering only as it is a very competitive program.

Can someone who has experience please give me some advice on how as a grade 11 student i can prepare for this Program and what i must do to get accepted for this (Volunteering, Contests, Experience, Grades, etc).

Thank you so much.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of Haru Haru
If you're going into Software Engineering, it would make sense to do physics/chem and obviously programming contests.
SOme of the ones I did in gr. 11 include: CCC, ECOO, ACSL and Avagadro Chem Contest.
I also suggest you to take the Sir Isaac Newton (SIN) Physics Contest. It is challenging, but participation counts a lot too. Also, do as many math contests as possible! (Fermat/Hypatia/Sun Life Open etc)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iRamie iRamie
I don't quite why understand they put so much emphasis on participating in those math contests? Like its just a contest, why are we pressured into writing it?
Also if you know, why do they put chemistry and physics as a pre-requisite to this program and don't even put ICS or TEJ as a pre-requisite?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Sapper1815 Sapper1815

@iRamie wrote
Also if you know, why do they put chemistry and physics as a pre-requisite to this program and don't even put ICS or TEJ as a pre-requisite?

More chemistry and physics are part of the program, so you need the pre-requisite background. Programming experience is required, which could be ICS or TEJ, or some other route.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Haru Haru

@iRamie wrote
I don't quite why understand they put so much emphasis on participating in those math contests? Like its just a contest, why are we pressured into writing it?

since waterloo hosts most of the math contests, wouldn't it make sense to write them? not only that, math is required as a basis of engineering and those contests are an indication of your logic and problem solving skills. they may not directly relate but can be useful. two people with relatively same marks/ECs one having done more math/physics/chem/cs contests than the other has significantly higher chances of getting accepted.

Edit: you are NOT pressured into writing anything. it's all up to you. but it is strongly suggested that you do take the initiative to write them no matter how poorly you do. participation is key.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango
alright. seeing that you already have relevant work experience, i already know you are going to get in. unless you are predicting a <80 average, I will assure you that you will get in. Now if you are hanging at high70 low80 range, you will STILL be fine due to your work exp. i know a guy in my class who had an 82 avg, but unfortunately he did crappy on his midterms and dropped out, lol. (as long as you do your hmk and study a little, this should not happen to you).

The contests are there for scholarship opportunities, mostly. You dont have to do that well, but just do it for the experience. Waterloo WILL be impressed if you do well, tho. Btw the SIN contest will not really affect your chances with SE lol, unless you do well.

Btw definitely do the CCC and get involved with DWITE at your school, even though DWITE is kinda a crappy contest lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0