yconic - Waterloo Software Engineering
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Waterloo Software Engineering

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Possibly. Depends on your AIF really, if you have lots of ECs/ or you have programming related work experience it'll def up your chances.

You're prob looking at a May acceptance if you do get in so just sit in tight and don't get too anxious :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
17 replies

Possibly. Depends on your AIF really, if you have lots of ECs/ or you have programming related work experience it'll def up your chances.

You're prob looking at a May acceptance if you do get in so just sit in tight and don't get too anxious :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

ECs = Extra-Curriculars, clubs you're apart of in school, volunteering events or anything you do outside of school.

Wow, that's a lot of programming experience! Hopefully, that will give you an edge against others but it would def help if you have decent ECs listed along with that.

I'm not sure how much emphasis Waterloo places on programming experience on the AIF. Mine were actually pretty minimal, hopefully this won't put me at too much of a disadvantage in Uni. But I think you stand a fair chance of getting in.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Your programming experience is definitely a big boost. Its unfortunate that you were not able to take any CS courses. (That will probably bump up your AIF) You should be fine, and receive it during the next wave. Best of luck :)...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iRamie iRamie

@ChaoticX wrote

PHP: 36 months. Began a website in grade 9. Working on custom CMS, powers mylifeisib.co.cc and future site for Pokemon Universe.
JAVA: 20 months. Worked on java game server. Fixed bugs, added new features. Created Android app, wasn't released because of copyright concern. Made other tools e.g irc bot and dynamic ip updater
C/C++: 15 months. Made homebrew for the PSP, called OneMangaPSP. Features API centric design, allows for easy addition of new services. Created networking library akin to Apache MINA in C++, LINA.
Vala: 5 months. Made GTK+ media player. Working on GB emulator.

LMFAO that's a lot of experience.

What some people seem to misunderstand is that its all about the Concepts of programming (Like knowing how to use Arrays, do Networking, Data Types, Basic Stuff), there's more to it. I probably have almost the same Programming experience as you, except Vala, but when i wrote this thing called the "Canadian Computing Competition" (Senior Level), i swear i thought it was going to be about programming, but it was more math! So of course I'm guessing the experience will help you, but I'm just saying that it may not be what you think it is like in high school.

LOL When you say "JAVA: 20 months. Worked on java game server.", do you mean a private server?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

A photo of arviny arviny
I think you have a solid chance of getting an offer after midterm, I wouldn't worry about it. 100% they are just waiting for your marks.
Unless you goto one of those "easy schools" that UW keeps a tab on.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of aimango aimango
you will definitely get in. honestly if you know more than 3 languages and have work experience, you will definitely get in SE. LOL.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of plato plato
I think your chances for admission are good. Programming experience goes a long way on the SW AIF form. Programming can be a 'you get it or you don't' subject, no matter how good your grades are.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iRamie iRamie

@plato wrote
I think your chances for admission are good. Programming experience goes a long way on the SW AIF form. Programming can be a 'you get it or you don't' subject, no matter how good your grades are.

Does iPhone apps count as programming experience?
Like what if i have a portfolio of programs i have, how will they see them.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of plato plato

@iRamie wrote

@plato wrote

Does iPhone apps count as programming experience?
Like what if i have a portfolio of programs i have, how will they see them.

Yes iphone apps count, objective C is very relevant. You can include your apple developer account info so they can check out your store front. But still describe the programs in your AIF.

You should concentrate on illustrating the modular aspects of your code base, rather than very specific applications that can't be modified to do something else. If you've developed any libraries, or an API to a more general series of classes/functions, list those. Software engineering revolves around code reuse and design patterns. "Good programmers write good code, great programmer reuse code".

Don't sweat it, if you've listed a lot of programming experience in your AIF you should be fine.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Haru Haru
This is a question for a friend. How much do software engineers earn in their 1st year after graduation?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iRamie iRamie

@Haru wrote
This is a question for a friend. How much do software engineers earn in their 1st year after graduation?

EPICCCC Gravedig lololol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Haru Haru

@iRamie wrote

@Haru wrote

EPICCCC Gravedig lololol

HUH?! :S
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Haru Haru

@iRamie wrote

@Haru wrote

EPICCCC Gravedig lololol

HUH?! :S
Was this helpful? Yes 0