yconic - Waterloo university mechanical engineering
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Waterloo university mechanical engineering

A photo of Swapnil94 Swapnil94
What are the chances of getting in waterloo university for mechanical engineering with following marks and ECs

Advance functions - 90%
calculus - 90%
English - 80%
Physics - 92%
Chemistry - 95%
Computer science - 93%
Technology design - 90%

Robotics club - Participated in VEX and FIRST robotics competition
Participated in waterloo math and chemistry contest
participated in york university's series of competitions such as fermi questions, chemistry, photvore
in science club

I am in grade 11 right now. But I am pretty sure my results will be something like this next year. Are those marks and ECs enough to get in waterloo university for mechanical engineer co-op program?

And does everyone in co-op program get a job 100%?
Thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

This post was deleted

A photo of chatmike chatmike
Depends on the year. The expected cut-off for mech eng is mid 80s, this year it went to high 80s. If your year is a normal year with the normal cut off of mid 80s, you're set, but i saw lots of people with a 87-88 avg getting rejected to UW mech eng this year, so dunno. If everyone that is applying have abysmal EC's, your couple EC's will get you in. Like for me, my average was 84, and i got a mech eng offer simply based off of my ECs and AIF.

No one can tell you, it depends how many people apply in your year.

As for co-op, its nigh 100% i believe. But i'm pretty sure you NEED to get a job, so that statistic doesn't mean much.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Swapnil94 Swapnil94

@chatmike wrote
Depends on the year. The expected cut-off for mech eng is mid 80s, this year it went to high 80s. If your year is a normal year with the normal cut off of mid 80s, you're set, but i saw lots of people with a 87-88 avg getting rejected to UW mech eng this year, so dunno. If everyone that is applying have abysmal EC's, your couple EC's will get you in. Like for me, my average was 84, and i got a mech eng offer simply based off of my ECs and AIF.

No one can tell you, it depends how many people apply in your year.

As for co-op, its nigh 100% i believe. But i'm pretty sure you NEED to get a job, so that statistic doesn't mean much.

can you tell me your ECs?
Thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of chatmike chatmike
Now something to consider, UW and other clever universities want a variety of different students. They have a certain quota of the 99% average kids, and a certain quota of kids with some ECs and a high mark, and kids with a lower mark with more ECs. To create a strong graduating class, you need a variety of different types of learners,thinkers and do-ers.

With that said, my ECs were as followed:

Part of the prefect committee
Couple clubs here and there
Some volunteering
Starred in, produced, directed, co-wrote, stage managed, was stage crew for, was light technician, and was sound technician for school plays and productions between grade 9 and 12.

And don't forget the AIF! A lot of people always think the ECs are more important than the AIF and that's just silly. The 5ish questions you answer needs to sell you to the university. Your paragraphs need to be convincing and interesting.
Was this helpful? Yes 0