yconic - Waterlooers?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Waterlooers?

A photo of sarinsazy92 sarinsazy92
Since I haven't been able to visit campus, and since you can only see so much on Google Maps' Streetview thing, can someone give me a general insight into what the Waterloo main campus is like? I went on the virtual campus tour and I found out a little about the place, but I'd still like to know more before I get there.

I'm not really worried about the appearence of the buildings, but I'm curious as to what the facilities are like in terms of their quality? Ex. the gym, the library, the environment faculty buildings? And what are the residences like> (esp. UWP & V1)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
16 replies

A photo of aimango aimango
in terms of quality, the libraries arent bad, it just gets packed sometimes. this is when you resort to empty classrooms.

there are 2 main gyms, 1 is very old so it's not the best quality, but it does it's job. theres another 1 a little off campus but close to the residences - which is pretty nice and good quality. a lot of buildings here are very old but stable - so they dont bother renovating them. thats why waterloo ends up looking really random since theres a bunch of ugly old buildings mixed with brand new ones.

residence - in terms of UWP the facilities are pretty good. it IS an older res so even if you try to keep clean, the cleanliness can only be at a limit, if you know what i mean. the beds are creaky the desks they give you in your rooms kinda suck though. the rooms usually are not that big unless you get a 2 or 3 person suite.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I was just at Waterloo for their open house day and it was really nice.

Lots of open spaces and trees everywhere.

The building look pretty new or at least they've been maintained really well.

All the residence were nice too, some a little on the small side but its a dorm so what can you expect.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of greygoose greygoose

@Alliee wrote
I was just at Waterloo for their open house day and it was really nice.

Lots of open spaces and trees everywhere.

The building look pretty new or at least they've been maintained really well.

All the residence were nice too, some a little on the small side but its a dorm so what can you expect.

The campus is absolutely gorgeous in the summer. It's a little more glum in the winter, but still quite lovely in fall, and looks incredible under the snow too.

Buildings are maintained very well. I mean, it's a typical Canadian university, with the majority of buildings dated back to the 60s. It has the character of its time. There are all sorts of random crazy modern buildings mixed in too, like the Davis Center, Engineering 5, and CEIT (the "dino building"). Libraries are again typical 60s libraries, all well-kept. DC library is newer and nicer than the Dana Porter.

V1 is extremely well-maintained, and the bathrooms are very clean, cleaned pretty much daily. UWP is in a worse repair. I lived in both residences, in a court in UWP (but hanging out a lot with my friends in the towers) and a single room in V1. V1 was definitely nicer living space, but nothing beats having a kitchen. I have continually poked the housing people to renovate UWP on surveys, etc. so I hope others have joined me and we see some maintenance there soon.

The furniture is fine and similar in any residence.

I am really unsure about fitness facilities, as I haven't used them, though I hear those on north campus in CIF are really nice. REV also has a gym if it really means something to you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hey greygoose, how long have you gone to Waterloo? You seem to know a lot about it.

Do you know anything about the area surrounding the campus? I've never lived outside of Toronto and I can't find a lot of info on the atmosphere of Waterloo as a city.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Alliee wrote
Hey greygoose, how long have you gone to Waterloo? You seem to know a lot about it.

Do you know anything about the area surrounding the campus? I've never lived outside of Toronto and I can't find a lot of info on the atmosphere of Waterloo as a city.

I am not greygoose but I know Waterloo very very well and I really like it.

It doesn't have a big-city feel, but it still has everything you need. It may not be this but it's definitely not this.

There's some cool things to do and it's got a pretty good atmosphere.

I can try to answer some specific questions if you want.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Well I'm coming from York university so the area around it was completely dead and there really wasn't anywhere to go hang out or party. You'd have to go downtown.

I'm just wondering that if Waterloo is smaller than Toronto would it be similar or because it's a college town is there enough going on?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Alliee wrote
Well I'm coming from York university so the area around it was completely dead and there really wasn't anywhere to go hang out or party. You'd have to go downtown.

I'm just wondering that if Waterloo is smaller than Toronto would it be similar or because it's a college town is there enough going on?

It's definitely smaller than Toronto, and not similar at all. TBH I don't like living in Toronto very much in comparison. There may be "things to do" here but as a female in St. James Town I can't exactly go out running around at night by myself >.> I loved being able to walk alone in Waterloo at night. And the shopping and costs of living here are prohibitively expensive in comparison. I miss eating out for half the price of what I pay here for worse quality.

There's stuff to do, though certainly less than Toronto. But since GO/Greyhound and soon GO Train fare is so cheap, it's easy to get out to Toronto for a weekend if you get really bored or have something special in mind. I have never found myself bored in Waterloo, but that's because I have such great friends. Even if we're just inventing things to do, time passes so quickly. I think we'd do that anywhere we'd go to school, though... adventures are so amusing :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

That sounds a lot better than my year at York there really wasn't anything to do, at least i could never find much.

And the whole being alone thing is a definite no-no at York so if I could go for a run or bike ride at night that would be so nice to not worry.

Hopefully I'll meet some great people there too.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LRooke LRooke
Goose crap everywhere.

Some of the newer buildings are pretty stylish, but most of the administrative offices are located in the original 1950s blocks(THEY STILL HAVE ASBESTOS. There's a seedy shopping plaza near campus with a Mongolian BBQ and a Harvey's. RIM 2-10 are like right down the street (The older buildings).

Some of the lecture halls are nice, and some are made of cheap, old wood.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Alliee wrote
That sounds a lot better than my year at York there really wasn't anything to do, at least i could never find much.

And the whole being alone thing is a definite no-no at York so if I could go for a run or bike ride at night that would be so nice to not worry.

Hopefully I'll meet some great people there too.

Waterloo Park and Columbia Lake are right next door/on campus and lots of people walk/bike/run there on the grass/paths/trails/roads. You can also go to the petting zoo at Waterloo Park while on a walk/jog/run.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango

@greygoose wrote

V1 is extremely well-maintained, and the bathrooms are very clean, cleaned pretty much daily. UWP is in a worse repair. I lived in both residences, in a court in UWP (but hanging out a lot with my friends in the towers) and a single room in V1. V1 was definitely nicer living space, but nothing beats having a kitchen. I have continually poked the housing people to renovate UWP on surveys, etc. so I hope others have joined me and we see some maintenance there soon.

The comments you made about UWP only apply to Eby and Beck, I think. I lived in a 1st year court (Wellesley South) and it was a little better quality. Obviously not as amazing as MKV but IMO the living is better compared to V1.

@ g93: Lawl @ your pics comparison XD..

And @ Alliee: no I dont agree with you on being a lot of open space. If you've visited waterloo in the past few months, you've probably seen a lot of construction going on. Basically there is not a lot of space to build new stuff so they decided to fill in all the available space. i.e. removing a huge ass field a few years ago and building a nano building that still isnt done.

It's getting more crowded, and a lot of buildings are awkwardly close together cause Waterloo likes to make underground passages and overpasses. I mean if you compare the campus to Western, Western thought ahead of time and if you've gone there, now they definitely have a lot of open space. But Waterloo isn't like Laurier - their buildings are really close together!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@aimango wrote
The comments you made about UWP only apply to Eby and Beck, I think. I lived in a 1st year court (Wellesley South) and it was a little better quality. Obviously not as amazing as MKV but IMO the living is better compared to V1.

I was in Waterloo Court. I found it just as bad as my friend's apartment in Beck Hall, albeit bigger and with more windows. I was one of the few "blessed" with a balcony... yeah wtf are you going to do with that in January, besides locking your friends out on it and laughing at them. My room in V1 was far cleaner than that apartment, and I spent a lot of damn time cleaning it. My friend's 4-bedroom in Wellesley North was even wooorse. But I mean, they're not unliveably bad or anything, and I probably could have showered without flipflops where I would never do that in V1; I just think they need similar renovations to those of V1.

@aimango wrote
And @ Alliee: no I dont agree with you on being a lot of open space. If you've visited waterloo in the past few months, you've probably seen a lot of construction going on. Basically there is not a lot of space to build new stuff so they decided to fill in all the available space. i.e. removing a huge ass field a few years ago and building a nano building that still isnt done.

No, I'd disagree. There's not a ton of open space where all the buildings are, sure, but there is some, and campus is damn enormous. See the whole half of campus where the colleges are, etc. The BMH Green still is there, between the PAC, MC, new M3 building, and SLC, as well as those AHS buildings at the north of campus, and \exists the MC/DC Quad too. The open space between the eng buildings, Physics, South Campus Hall, Tatham Center (co-op building), and the Dana Porter Library. There's a little court between Chemistry, Biology, and the MC. I mean, compare this to U of T's St. George Campus. There's the big Queen's Park (I think it's called Queen's park?) right in the middle, but not really any other open space, and lots of streets. Waterloo is nothing like that. Nearly all the buildings on campus are contained inside Ring Road (the ring road that circles campus, strangely enough), and there's still plenty of greenspace inside.

Besides, there's lots of goose poop in the greenspace, especially the V1 Green, though they did tell us they "goose-poop-proofed" it for Frosh Week. :P

@LRooke wrote
Some of the newer buildings are pretty stylish, but most of the administrative offices are located in the original 1950s blocks(THEY STILL HAVE ASBESTOS. There's a seedy shopping plaza near campus with a Mongolian BBQ and a Harvey's. RIM 2-10 are like right down the street (The older buildings).

OH GOD UNMATCHED PARENS PARSING ERROR

Ahem.

They have been removing a lot of the asbestos in the older buildings on campus. They had a big restoration project in Winter in CPH, as I recall since I kept getting trapped by the renos. It's pretty much clean now, barring the maintenance tunnels. And why would you be going down there? And I mean, it's in the walls, not like you're getting any toxic exposure to it anyhow.

The plaza is not seedy! I mean, there's plenty of lousy Chinese food there, but there is at least one EXCELLENT bar and at minimum two very good restaurants (I can't get a donair or curry with rice or naan for that quality anywhere else for $9...). Also three different bubble tea places, choose the one you like best as two are comparable for price, one is more expensive. I've had lousier bubble tea for more money in Toronto. You mention the sketchtastic Mongolian Grill and a fast food place, no wonder you think it's seedy. If you don't want seedy, avoid the sketch-but-disgustingly-cheap Chinese food. (And whatever they say about Mr. Paninos, those dumplings and Shanghai noodles are deliciously bad.)

There's also a 24 hour burger king with free wifi in plaza as well, though it's in the east part of it. And a few big restaurants, including an East Side Mario's and Cameo farther east, which turns into a lousy nightclub at night and has mediocre food at best for high prices. A Westerner-catering curry place, as well as a real-deal Bangladeshi restaurant, a delicious Turkish place with slowass service and an Egyptian place, etc. so forth. I am picky about eating out and I miss the plaza now that I'm derping about in Toronto.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LRooke LRooke
Dude, the only reason I go near there is to get Harvey's.

Mmm...Harvey's.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Gross.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LRooke LRooke
I actually had one today after the above conversation, in fact.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I had to move into UWP because I have a ton of food sensitivities and couldn't eat the V1 caf food. My roommate in UWP claimed the same, and wouldn't let either of her roommates (me and other girl) use any of her kitchen things because she was worried about cross-contamination. The only thing she was genuinely allergic to (e.g. that she didn't demonstrably lie about) was seafood, and I never cook seafood at home anyways.

But she ate Harvey's all the F***ING TIME!

Food sensitivities my ass. I can't even eat that stuff once a month. Don't get me started on campus pizza.... :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0