yconic - Waterloo's Software Engineering
Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Waterloo's Software Engineering

A photo of lihman lihman
Yes, I think you're a shoe-in for the program. I have been accepted, and my average is not too far from yours.

Additionally, they assume all applicants have no programming experience. A good assumption, I would say, as not all schools have the resources to provide programming courses. Personally, I have taught myself web design (HTML + CSS + JS) and PHP, and am currently learning C#. However, there is no avenue to report these skills through, and I assume that means that they don't really care.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of CanadaBoy CanadaBoy
Yes, I think you're a shoe-in for the program. I have been accepted, and my average is not too far from yours.

Additionally, they assume all applicants have no programming experience. A good assumption, I would say, as not all schools have the resources to provide programming courses. Personally, I have taught myself web design (HTML + CSS + JS) and PHP, and am currently learning C#. However, there is no avenue to report these skills through, and I assume that means that they don't really care.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lihman lihman
Thanks for replying! I really appreciate the help.

Did you already write the AIF?
http://www.eng.uwaterloo.ca/admissions/Admissions/AIF.htm

On their website, it says,

Programming Knowledge

For admission to Software Engineering, you are required to demonstrate that you have experience in developing well-structured, modular programs. For every programming language in which you have at least four months of programming experience, list the language, number of months experience you have in using the language (not how long you have known it), and capacity in which you used the language (e.g., courses completed including marks, work experience, self education).

Did you talk about web design (if you did write it)?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Sapper1815 Sapper1815

@CanadaBoy wrote

??? There haven't been any acceptances for Software Engineering yet. And programming experience is expected.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CanadaBoy CanadaBoy
My apologies. Obviously there is a difference between Computer Engineering and Software Engineering. :colors:

I did not have to write an AIF for my Comp. Eng. acceptance.

Anyways, sorry once again, and best of luck with your admission. If you ever need PHP help, give me a shout :bounce: .
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of xxMoonCakezxx xxMoonCakezxx
If you got a 100 in Physics you must be a genius beyond compare.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AlbertoWeiler AlbertoWeiler
Yes, I think you can get admission in that program. I want to tell you that Software Engineering is a systematic and disciplined approach to developing software. It applies both computer science and engineering principles and practices to the creation, operation and maintenance of software systems. At the University of Waterloo, Software Engineering is an independent, interdisciplinary program supported by both the Faculty of Mathematics and the Faculty of Engineering.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lihman lihman
Thank you for the help everybody!
Was this helpful? Yes 0