yconic - waterloo/UofT uni EC prep
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

waterloo/UofT uni EC prep

A photo of plaidboy plaidboy
I got employed at KUMON as an assistant, and i'm applying for uni's next school year. Does this job give me a solid chance of being accepted to either uni for engineering? btw, I work 3hrs once a week. Also, this is my only EC.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of x711Li x711Li
Keep in mind that engineering admission, especially at the two more prestigious programs in the nation, is heavily mark-based in contrast to business schools which may take extracurriculars far more into account. Keep your marks up and you'll be fine.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of threepointonefour threepointonefour
If you are only interested in being accepted, then yes, that is sufficient provided you have a good average. At Waterloo, your AIF can only raise your admission average by 5%, so if you have a 90-93% average in highschool you should be accepted. If you are interested in scholarships that require any kind of community service/ ECs you will have no chance, and would need to be significantly more involved.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of chatmike chatmike

@x711Li wrote
Keep in mind that engineering admission, especially at the two more prestigious programs in the nation, is heavily mark-based in contrast to business schools which may take extracurriculars far more into account. Keep your marks up and you'll be fine.

Uh what? It's a fact that waterloo can swing your mark as far as 5% based off of the AIF.

So yes. EC's certainly do make or break things. 5% is a freaking lot.

In regards to the OP. Its not necessarily the best to have your ECs in school/faculty related subjects. Universities want diversified students. And i know it sucks to hear this, but 1 EC that isn't diversified really isn't worth much.

I guess it's too late now to get a lot of ECs since you're in grade 12, just try to bring your marks as high as you can.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of plaidboy plaidboy
well i'm joining DECA too i guess, and i know everyone joins DECA but im actually going to try and make provincials. I just want to know if getting a job was a good choice, because I don't want my average to drop
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango
Dude, I had that Kumon job too in high school, except I worked there for almost 3 years lol. But I had a ton other ECs. Definitely get some more ECs on there o__O You never know what your competition is gonna be like for admissions, it changes every year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0