yconic - Western Biomed Acceptance?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Western Biomed Acceptance?

A photo of mmoham95 mmoham95
I'm applying to Western Biomed....Science....and Health Science. I dont know if I can get in with these marks?

Gr 11 average 91%
ENG4U - 92%
Calculus and Vecors - 90%
Advanced Functions - 77% (but i am retaking it in second semester)

and next semester i have
Chemistry - (I think i'll have a high 80's to 90's)
Biology - (That's an easy 90)
Human Growth and Development - 95% (easy course)

I'm also in the Western's WISE program (WESTERN INITIATIVE FOR SCHOLARLY EXCELLENCE) and am applying to Western Scholars.

Would I get in with these marks. ITs only advanced functions that's pulling me down but im retaking it. Do you know if Western would take the midterm of Advanced Functions second semester over the final first semester?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of DoctorGaga DoctorGaga
thats a good question..im not sure, although im pretty sure they would. i would definitely call in this week and speak to admissions about that because if they don't..you wouldnt wanna waste your time retaking a course.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of yifanzhang yifanzhang
I believe you will be accepted with your gr. 11 marks alone. I had roughly the same marks as you and I was accepted late January, before my final first semester marks had come out.
Of course, your acceptance is contingent on you maintaining an 86 average, meaning that by the time your second semester marks are out and you calculate your top six, that has to be more than an 86. Your advanced functions mark won't matter as long as you do well while retaking it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I have yet to get accepted to bio med because my grade 12 marks just went in today. My grade 11 marks were mostly completed in grade 10 (my rebellious I-don't-care-about-anything phase when there was a death in my family) so let's just say it doesn't give a great reflection of me. But my grade 12 marks went in today and they are the following...

Advanced Functions: 85%
Studies of English Literature: 88%
Biology: 90%
Drama: 92%
Calculus: 89%
English: 90%
Data Management: 94%
Chemistry: 94%
Classical Civilizations: 92%

Good chance of getting accepted? I didn't apply to western general sciences as a back up which was probably a dumb move on my part...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ozinator Ozinator

@mmoham95 wrote
Do you know if Western would take the midterm of Advanced Functions second semester over the final first semester?

^ Any confirmation on that? Excpet i took adv func in gr 11 :batman:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Ozinator wrote

@mmoham95 wrote
Do you know if Western would take the midterm of Advanced Functions second semester over the final first semester?

^ Any confirmation on that? Excpet i took adv func in gr 11 :batman:

Yeah...Western takes the highest mark of the two. So if your first semester final was a 70 and your second semester midterm is an 80 then they take the 80 (even though it is only a midterm mark)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@yifanzhang wrote
I believe you will be accepted with your gr. 11 marks alone. I had roughly the same marks as you and I was accepted late January, before my final first semester marks had come out.
Of course, your acceptance is contingent on you maintaining an 86 average, meaning that by the time your second semester marks are out and you calculate your top six, that has to be more than an 86. Your advanced functions mark won't matter as long as you do well while retaking it.

My average right now is 86 with my 77 in advanced functions and a 91 without. I'm worried I won't get in even though right now I have 100 in advanced functions while retaking it. Its funny because 30 people are also retaking it in my school and our school is an extremely high academic school. I actually didnt mind the teacher. She explained well, but her tests were extremely long and it was difficult for anyone to get through the whole test...so we lose huge percentages because the tests were out of a little bit of marks. But I'm still worried about not getting in...

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@chelsealaurensinclair wrote
I have yet to get accepted to bio med because my grade 12 marks just went in today. My grade 11 marks were mostly completed in grade 10 (my rebellious I-don't-care-about-anything phase when there was a death in my family) so let's just say it doesn't give a great reflection of me. But my grade 12 marks went in today and they are the following...

Advanced Functions: 85%
Studies of English Literature: 88%
Biology: 90%
Drama: 92%
Calculus: 89%
English: 90%
Data Management: 94%
Chemistry: 94%
Classical Civilizations: 92%

Good chance of getting accepted? I didn't apply to western general sciences as a back up which was probably a dumb move on my part...

I think you have a strong chance of getting in with your marks.
Putting science as a backup would have been a good plan...but I think you shouldn't worry too much about getting in
Western - Health Science
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Carter14 Carter14
does anyone have the email address to their admissions office?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of bobikins1994 bobikins1994

Sorry to intrude on this discussion but i have a question. I am in grade 12 and have similar ambitions as many other pre-med students to become a doctor. I wish to go to Western for Biological and Medical sciences for my undergrad. Now, i took advanced functions last year and basically just bombed it due to some unfortunate occurances in my life. i got a 64.

Now if my current top six were to look like this, would i have a chance of being accepted?

Advanced Fcns-64
Chemistry-94
English-90
Calculus-92
Canadian Law-88
Exercise Science-97

The overall average would be an 87.5%.

In addition to this, i have filled out an Extra Curriculars profile. This is an app available on Western's website in case the applicants average falls under the minimum average or happens to lack in a certain requirement. My extra curriculars include being the President of a local charity, Leader of Amnesty Intll at my school, and also being a promotions exec of the Multicultural council. I am also an active Link Crew leader. Would these qualifications be enough for me to get into this program! Please be honest!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aquarius aquarius

@bobikins1994 wrote

Sorry to intrude on this discussion but i have a question. I am in grade 12 and have similar ambitions as many other pre-med students to become a doctor. I wish to go to Western for Biological and Medical sciences for my undergrad. Now, i took advanced functions last year and basically just bombed it due to some unfortunate occurances in my life. i got a 64.

Now if my current top six were to look like this, would i have a chance of being accepted?

Advanced Fcns-64
Chemistry-94
English-90
Calculus-92
Canadian Law-88
Exercise Science-97

The overall average would be an 87.5%.

In addition to this, i have filled out an Extra Curriculars profile. This is an app available on Western's website in case the applicants average falls under the minimum average or happens to lack in a certain requirement. My extra curriculars include being the President of a local charity, Leader of Amnesty Intll at my school, and also being a promotions exec of the Multicultural council. I am also an active Link Crew leader. Would these qualifications be enough for me to get into this program! Please be honest!

I was at Western 2 days ago and the admission officer said last year cut off was 85.5 .The student who took us around was a 1st year Bio med student with 86% entrance average. So pretty sure your average is good enough.
Was this helpful? Yes 0