yconic - Western biomed timetable making
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Western biomed timetable making

A photo of Marble Marble
does anyone know when we have to do timetable selections for western biomed? cause i have friends at mac that are already doing their schedule

thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
31 replies

A photo of freebird freebird
You're not missing anything, don't worry. Registration starts mid-June and goes into July. You can schedule and register on your own online or just let the people do it for you at SAO. But as soon as the timetable comes out you can start making your schedule if you want to. You can probably do it with the old timetable too since most things stay the same.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iCobra iCobra
Apparently the date is June 21st because thats when SAO starts. I've already made a practice timetable using last years schedule. Do we have to make our 1st and 2nd semester timetable at the same time? Im assuming yes.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iCobra iCobra
Apparently the date is June 21st because thats when SAO starts. I've already made a practice timetable using last years schedule. Do we have to make our 1st and 2nd semester timetable at the same time? Im assuming yes.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JNBirDy JNBirDy
Here's a pdf of the timetable for 2011-2012: http://www.westerncalendar.uwo.ca/pdfs/TimetableJune1_11.pdf

The online timetable hasn't been updated though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
^ Online timetable now updated.

https://studentservices.uwo.ca/secure/timetables/mastertt/ttindex.cfm
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Meridian Meridian
Question on course selection please (for biomed student as example).

The Calendar says:

The Breadth Requirements for First Year: First-year students must include 1.0 course from each of two of the three categories (A, B, and C) shown below.

So I will have 4.0 from category C (Bio/Chem/Phys/Math). For the elective, do both half courses need to be from only A or only B or can I take a 0.5 in A & 0.5 in B in first year ? The above quote seems to limit to both in A or both in B only.

thoughts ? (and thanks)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Meridian wrote
Question on course selection please (for biomed student as example).

The Calendar says:

The Breadth Requirements for First Year: First-year students must include 1.0 course from each of two of the three categories (A, B, and C) shown below.

So I will have 4.0 from category C (Bio/Chem/Phys/Math). For the elective, do both half courses need to be from only A or only B or can I take a 0.5 in A & 0.5 in B in first year ? The above quote seems to limit to both in A or both in B only.

thoughts ? (and thanks)

Yes, they have to be from the same category. You'll probably end up doing a full year course anyways.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of bioboy bioboy
Does anyone know how travel time between classes work? For example, if the timetable says a class ends at 11:30am, can I not take a class that says the starting time is at 12:30pm?

Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@bioboy wrote
Does anyone know how travel time between classes work? For example, if the timetable says a class ends at 11:30am, can I not take a class that says the starting time is at 12:30pm?

Thanks!

If your schedule is for example:

Biology 9:30-10:30
Chemistry 10:30-11:30
Math 11:30-12:30

the classes will actually be:

Biology 9:33-10:20
Chemistry 10:33-11:20
Math 11:33-12:20
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
Classes actually end on the :20, giving you 10 minutes to get to your next class. Lectures don't usually start until about the :33, so you actually have about 13 minutes. 98% of the time, that is more than enough time to get to your next class.

EDIT: OK. Just confirming what JNBirDy said.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of bioboy bioboy
Thank you!

Also, I was wondering which math course you would recommend as being "easier", stats 1024, math 1228 or math 1229. I'm having a hard time deciding between these 3 since they seem quite similar difficulty-wise from what i've heard.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@bioboy wrote
Thank you!

Also, I was wondering which math course you would recommend as being "easier", stats 1024, math 1228 or math 1229. I'm having a hard time deciding between these 3 since they seem quite similar difficulty-wise from what i've heard.

-Stats if fairly easy... but I say don't take it as you're going to have to take a statistics-like course in your upper years.
-Math 1228 is finite mathematics, I always associate it with business, so if you're a science student it probably won't be really useful.
-Math 1229 is matrix algebra, if you've taken calculus and vectors in grade 12, it will be similar to vectors. Out of these three I'd suggest taking this one.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of stopngolo stopngolo
Hi,

I was wondering for the courses without an instructor name on the online timetable, does that mean the instructor is still undecided?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of mgatie mgatie

@stopngolo wrote
Hi,

I was wondering for the courses without an instructor name on the online timetable, does that mean the instructor is still undecided?

Yup means they haven't decided who will be teaching :)
You should use ratemyprof and based on that i selected profs but you don't really have much options first year and I thought my first year profs were amazing :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

^ regarding choosing profs, look here: https://www.ipb.uwo.ca/evaluation/index.php
From my experience, awesome profs average over 6. Profs with 5s and even some 4s are okay, scores under 4 are generally bad news.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of hamzanaeem002 hamzanaeem002
From the profs available for Calc 1301, who would you recommend? The options available are: Ditor, Coskun, Yu, Pinsonnault and Joyner. Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@hamzanaeem002 wrote
From the profs available for Calc 1301, who would you recommend? The options available are: Ditor, Coskun, Yu, Pinsonnault and Joyner. Thanks!

1.Joyner
2.Ditor
3.Coskun
4.Yu
5.Pinsonnault

Based off of course evaluations.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of stack444 stack444
which courses should i sign up for a lab for? im in science for example so my courses look like this first year:
psych 1000
calc 1000a, 1301b
chem 1100a, 1200b
phys 1028, 1029
bio 1001a, 1002b

and what about tutorials? where do i find this out? thanks :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@stack444 wrote
which courses should i sign up for a lab for? im in science for example so my courses look like this first year:
psych 1000
calc 1000a, 1301b
chem 1100a, 1200b
phys 1028, 1029
bio 1001a, 1002b

and what about tutorials? where do i find this out? thanks :)

What exactly do you mean by "which courses should i sign up for a lab for"? You don't really have a choice, if the course you enroll in has a lab and/or tutorial component to it, you have to sign up for them or you'd forfeit a hefty portion of your grade. Chemistry and biology have both a lab and tutorial component, while physics only has a lab component. You have to sign up for any lab/tutorial component associated with the class.

During the registration period when you make up your timetable - or during SAO if you want an upper year student to help you out you will sign up for the tutorials and lab. When you enroll in a course, it will ask you to also pick a tutorial/lab section and time to register for.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BusterBaxter BusterBaxter

@freebird wrote
^ regarding choosing profs, look here: https://www.ipb.uwo.ca/evaluation/index.php
From my experience, awesome profs average over 6. Profs with 5s and even some 4s are okay, scores under 4 are generally bad news.

Any idea when they release the 2010-2011 prof evaluation results?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@BusterBaxter wrote

@freebird wrote

Any idea when they release the 2010-2011 prof evaluation results?

It'll be a while unfortunately. I think they just recently released 2009-2010.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of stopngolo stopngolo
has anyone heard of Coskun for Calc1301?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

See the link I just posted above. Coskun has pretty good reviews.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of stack444 stack444
yup coskun seems to have good reviews, especially for a tough course like 1301. ive also heard from someone on SA that he gives assignments instead of quizzes but i cant be 100% sure on that because he/she wasnt either. coskun has taught 1301b twice now in his two years of teaching at UWO. sounds like a good pick for 1301

freebird (or anyone) do you think its okay if i have a class in the UCC from 1 30 to 2 30 (2 20) and then a bio lab at 2 30 in the NCB (north campus building). ive heard if youre late for labs its a 0 on the lab so im wondering if thats a good choice or not; as opposed to pushing the lab back to a tuesday morning. is it good to have no class before a lab so that you can set up and stuff? thanks :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0