yconic - Western biomed/science - OUAC application
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Western biomed/science - OUAC application

A photo of elliekay elliekay
Hey, so I'm sorta confused... I was told to apply for just Science (ES) because biomed and science is the same for first year. Anyways, none of the options under "areas of interest" include biology... am I doing this right?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
ES is more for chem, phys, math, geology, comp sci, etc... people; ESM is more for bio/med.

You're right; they're essentially the same. I know lots of people who mistakenly chose ES when they planned on going into bio/med. Not a big deal at all. It all comes down to what courses you take in first year, and ES and ESM will allow you priority for all science courses. It might actually be advantageous to apply to ES, as it is easier to get accepted that way.

The point of the whole "areas of interest" thing, I believe, is to just survey the incoming students - to get an idea of what subjects are popular (and, therefore, are more worthy of faculty investment). As far as you need to be concerned, it is meaningless. I don't even know what I answered for that.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of elliekay elliekay

@mynameismattgotmlgo wrote
ES is more for chem, phys, math, geology, comp sci, etc... people; ESM is more for bio/med.

You're right; they're essentially the same. I know lots of people who mistakenly chose ES when they planned on going into bio/med. Not a big deal at all. It all comes down to what courses you take in first year, and ES and ESM will allow you priority for all science courses. It might actually be advantageous to apply to ES, as it is easier to get accepted that way.

The point of the whole "areas of interest" thing, I believe, is to just survey the incoming students - to get an idea of what subjects are popular (and, therefore, are more worthy of faculty investment). As far as you need to be concerned, it is meaningless. I don't even know what I answered for that.

Ok, thanks so much, that clears things up :)

I'm just applying to ES since it has a lower cut-off, and I don't wanna waste an application by applying to both.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BioMEDICAL BioMEDICAL
Yeah go with ES since the cut-off is a good 2-3% lower (83% this year), much better than wasting two applications to enter the same faculty and take the same first year courses.
Was this helpful? Yes 0