yconic - Western: BMOS or Social Sciences?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Western: BMOS or Social Sciences?

A photo of bowenhou bowenhou
Hey other than queen's for psychology I've been accepted to two programs at Western, BMOS (still waiting on AEO) or Social Science. Now, I don't think there's a possibility of getting AEO because I bombed calculus, but I'm just wondering which is the better program of the two? I plan on applying for Ivey again, no matter what (I've heard in BMOS you only need to take one math course?) and on doing Law after my undergraduates, so either program could work, so my questions are, 1. which of the two programs would be easier to get into Ivey with, and 2. which would be a better standalone program if I end up not pursuing law?

Keep in mind with calculus in my Top 6 I won't be getting an entrance scholarship / with SS I'll get 1000-2000 depending on how exams go.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
2 replies

A photo of beyondsection17 beyondsection17

@bowenhou wrote
Hey other than queen's for psychology I've been accepted to two programs at Western, BMOS (still waiting on AEO) or Social Science. Now, I don't think there's a possibility of getting AEO because I bombed calculus, but I'm just wondering which is the better program of the two? I plan on applying for Ivey again, no matter what (I've heard in BMOS you only need to take one math course?) and on doing Law after my undergraduates, so either program could work, so my questions are, 1. which of the two programs would be easier to get into Ivey with, and 2. which would be a better standalone program if I end up not pursuing law?

Keep in mind with calculus in my Top 6 I won't be getting an entrance scholarship / with SS I'll get 1000-2000 depending on how exams go.

Was calculus in your top 6 courses inc. english? Because if not, Ivey won't see it.

As for bmos vs psych, they're both good programs, and neither will give you any better of a chance applying to Ivey or Law School. Which would be a better standalone program? It really depends what you want to do after university. My gut feeling says BMOS, but if you're more interested in psych than organizational studies, I strongly recommend you study that because you'll get better marks in it anyway.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of bowenhou bowenhou
Well I didn't have the foresight to take data management so unfortunately calc is in my top 6. It dropped me from about an 89 to an 85 (yes, my capacity for math is that bad :/) but I feel that I'm pretty good at understanding business so if I don't have to do a lot of math in BMOS, I should do fine? My ideal career would probably be a lawyer, so I'm not sure which one would best prepare me for that, but I'd like to graduate with the best possible degree barring a decision change in my career.
Was this helpful? Yes 0