yconic - Western Business Programs????
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Western Business Programs????

A photo of thegoal08 thegoal08
What do you guys think about Western's BMOS program? Is it worth applying to if I don't want Ivey(I do, but theoretically)? How does it rank up against Queen's Commerce, or Laurier's program?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of Viking21 Viking21

@thegoal08 wrote
What do you guys think about Western's BMOS program? Is it worth applying to if I don't want Ivey(I do, but theoretically)? How does it rank up against Queen's Commerce, or Laurier's program?

in my opinion even the ivey program doesnt rank up with queens. If you want to study i-banking and willing to take ivey's financial burden then go for it. Laurier BBA is also very good. I'm pretty sure queen's tuition is pretty steep as well. But in my opinion I wouldn't go there just for the BMOS program...maybe go to like a UTM commerce or Laurier BBA and apply for ivey after two years.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cloverhannah cloverhannah
Same here! I'm also interested in Western's BMOS. What average do I need? I know mid80s is definitely not enough:( Also, does it require lots of ECAs?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of thegoal08 thegoal08

@cloverhannah wrote
Same here! I'm also interested in Western's BMOS. What average do I need? I know mid80s is definitely not enough:( Also, does it require lots of ECAs?

i think to be competitve you need an 84.5. you need alot of ECA's mostly leadership roles. work experience also counts. if you're not applying to ivey i think you should be fine with mid 80's, but don't take my word for it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sherrybloosm sherrybloosm

@cloverhannah wrote

I'm pretty sure last year's admission average to BMOS was 85. That could change for this year though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Joshki Joshki
Western's BMOs ties social science into business..that's what i hate the most and now im not even gonna apply there. Personally, I think even brock's BBA is better the BMOs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I'm in BMOS first year right now. During our first class our prof said the cutoff this year was 88%.

I applied into BMOS with my top 5 average (from Alberta) being 88.8% at the time not including our provincial exams (which typically lowers your average by 2-3%) but my high school ECs were pretty good but not extreme compare to others I've seen on this forum.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of onlymatthew onlymatthew

@Viking21 wrote

@thegoal08 wrote

in my opinion even the ivey program doesnt rank up with queens. If you want to study i-banking and willing to take ivey's financial burden then go for it. Laurier BBA is also very good. I'm pretty sure queen's tuition is pretty steep as well. But in my opinion I wouldn't go there just for the BMOS program...maybe go to like a UTM commerce or Laurier BBA and apply for ivey after two years.

Just to clarify, Ivey and Queen's have tuition levels that are fairly similar.

Ivey HBA:
5159 + 5134 + 21499 + 21499 over the four years
= $53291

http://www.ivey.uwo.ca/hba/tuition-and-finance/tuition-and-fees.htm

Queen's Commerce:
13092 for each of the four years
= $52368

http://www.queensu.ca/registrar/currentstudents/fees/undergrad/ug-dom.pdf

I'm not entirely sure for QC though, because the tuition could scale upwards (or downwards) each year.

To the OP, you should understand how different MOS is from Ivey. Although you can still become employable with a MOS degree, "business at Western" is usually talking about Ivey. I personally wouldn't apply to Western BMOS without the intention of entering Ivey. Plenty of people still do it, but you're better off at another university. There's still merit in going into BMOS for two years and then trying to transfer into Ivey though, as Western kids do seem to have an advantage in successfully applying to Ivey.

Queen's Commerce is pretty comparable with Ivey so it's pretty safe to say that it's superior to BMOS.

Mid 80's is pretty safe for BMOS too, although you should try to play it safe and get to high 80's (at which point you should just apply to Ivey).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Viking21 Viking21

@onlymatthew wrote

@Viking21 wrote

@thegoal08 wrote

Just to clarify, Ivey and Queen's have tuition levels that are fairly similar.

Ivey HBA:
5159 + 5134 + 21499 + 21499 over the four years
= $53291

http://www.ivey.uwo.ca/hba/tuition-and-finance/tuition-and-fees.htm

Queen's Commerce:
13092 for each of the four years
= $52368

http://www.queensu.ca/registrar/currentstudents/fees/undergrad/ug-dom.pdf

I'm not entirely sure for QC though, because the tuition could scale upwards (or downwards) each year.

To the OP, you should understand how different MOS is from Ivey. Although you can still become employable with a MOS degree, "business at Western" is usually talking about Ivey. I personally wouldn't apply to Western BMOS without the intention of entering Ivey. Plenty of people still do it, but you're better off at another university. There's still merit in going into BMOS for two years and then trying to transfer into Ivey though, as Western kids do seem to have an advantage in successfully applying to Ivey.

Queen's Commerce is pretty comparable with Ivey so it's pretty safe to say that it's superior to BMOS.

Mid 80's is pretty safe for BMOS too, although you should try to play it safe and get to high 80's (at which point you should just apply to Ivey).

my point was the degree stand point. I mentioned the fact that queens is pretty expensive. If you don't get the BMOS and eventually ivey then the queen's bcomm looks much more attractive. <-- to OP
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BigBMan BigBMan
The recruiters come for Ivey and some do stay to take a look at BMOS students. Recruiting at the big 4 and some other bigger companies is good. I think it is a fine program but you will remain in the shadow of Ivey, whereas at a place like Laurier, you will be part of the only business program.

There are advantages to excelling in a program like BMOS but I personally would not pick it over Laurier/Ryerson/UTM/Brock.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted