yconic - Western Financial Modelling?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Western Financial Modelling?

A photo of Matthew Matthew
Hey,

I want to go into financial anlysis/trading, that sort of thing. Does anyone know if Westerns Science degree with a major in financial modelling is good for that?

I know that this is the math forum and this is a science degree, but financial analysis seemed more relevant to math than to science.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
Its actually quite new if I'm not mistaken. Western math is overall weak compared to schools like Waterloo and UofT. However, with a compliment to Ivey, I think strong math skills could really be the difference.

If you really want to get into financial/analysis and trading however, Western is not the best place - its more for banking, - ibanking, consulting, etc... if you want trading and other quant stuff, Waterloo would be the place for you. With that being said, if you want to keep banking open, a Fin Mod. Degree with Ivey would definitely be a great choice simply because its a target school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Matthew Matthew
Oh, I know waterloo is best for all the math stuff, I just really liked the Western campus and general atmosphere.

I know its more for banking and stuff, but is financial modelling from there looked on badly by employers?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
Extra degrees/skills can never hurt lol. If you have Ivey + financial modeling, It will obviously look better than just Ivey.
Was this helpful? Yes 0