yconic - WESTERN KIN, HEALTH SCIENCE, AND BIOMED ADMISSION CHANCES?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

WESTERN KIN, HEALTH SCIENCE, AND BIOMED ADMISSION CHANCES?

A photo of insidecentre insidecentre
Hey guys,

I've applied to Western for Kinesiology, Health Science, and BioMed. My average applying to those three is an 83.6%. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what my odds are into getting into any one of the above, more specifically the Health Science and BioMed. Is an 83.6 competative or borderline? Also, if i'm fortunate enough to meet the cutoff, does that guarantee me and admission? What are my odds into getting into these programs? Please help me out people, I'm getting nervous because it's May and I haven't heard from anywhere.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
13 replies

A photo of csze csze
I'm not sure about kin, but I know health sci cut off is approx 84% and biomed is approximately 87% cut off this year.

You still have a chance with health science, but I wouldn't count on biomed (sorry!)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

oh, okay. Well how sure are you about the 84% cutoff for Health Science? Does me bring at an 83.6 mean I won't get an offer of admission? Do I still have a shot? Also, does being over the cutoff guarantee and admission?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktlm1 ktlm1
i contatced admission and last year health science was 83.5 and kin was 84.5 ( not sure about biomed) and she told me it should be around the same this year. Are you sure your avg is the same for each program? all programs require different pre reqs that are included in your avg! i have not heard from western yet and i also applied to kin and health science, my avg for kin is 85.2 and for health sci 83.3 because i have to include my advanced fncs mark that brings down my avg :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

well yes, by average applying to Health Science and Kinesiology is 83.6, but for BioMed its 81.6. However, keeping a high GPA and taking the right courses first year will put me in a good position to switch from Health Science to BioMed. Thank you for your help though, it helps. If you're above cutoff are you guaranteed admission? It looks like my 83.6 should be competitive though, do you agree. Good luck to you as well!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of beyondsection17 beyondsection17

@insidecentre wrote
well yes, by average applying to Health Science and Kinesiology is 83.6, but for BioMed its 81.6. However, keeping a high GPA and taking the right courses first year will put me in a good position to switch from Health Science to BioMed. Thank you for your help though, it helps. If you're above cutoff are you guaranteed admission? It looks like my 83.6 should be competitive though, do you agree. Good luck to you as well!

There is no way that the average entry to Biomed was 81% last year. People with 88%s got denied.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup

@beyondsection17 wrote

@insidecentre wrote

There is no way that the average entry to Biomed was 81% last year. People with 88%s got denied.

This.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

A photo of ktlm1 ktlm1
usually the avg for health science is lower than kinesiology, so i believe your mark is competitive! admissions told me my 85.2 was "fairly competetive". I think if you are above the cutoff you will get accepted, they base it solely on marks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

sorry guys, i meant my average applying to biomed was 81, i know i'm not getting in there. I'm just hoping for a health science acceptance, and I hope it'll come with an 83.6. Has anyone heard of the cutoff this year? The admissions people at Western said my 83.6 was "certainly competitive" for Health Science; but i think that's just them being polite.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of rachelvarga rachelvarga
i know two people who go into health sci last year, one with an 84% avg and the other with an 83%, so your avg is pretty competitive by the sounds of it. my avg is 89 and i haven't heard back from kin there yet. BUT acceptances should be out tomorrow! when i called admissions office last month they told me their main round of acceptances with be on may 11th, so keep your fingers crossed!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ledderb ledderb
When did you hear from Laurier...I'm still waiting on acceptance into Kinesiology at Laurier but I've already received an acceptance into KIN at Western...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of rachelvarga rachelvarga
i got my acceptance in mid march, during march break. did you apply to the arts kin or science kin at laurier?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of xxalyssa xxalyssa
Ugh at least you have better chances than I do. My midterm mark is an 80 and I'm applied to Health science. I know that my mark is going to be at least an 85 by final, my English and Religion aren't as high as they are supposed to be since there were not a lot of assessments to put them in. Good luck :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ledderb ledderb
I applied to the Arts KIN
Was this helpful? Yes 0