yconic - Western or Waterloo Engineering?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Western or Waterloo Engineering?

A photo of Shahep Shahep
I'm really confused! Western offers a chance for students to get a degree in computer science + electrical engineering (or computer engineering) while Waterloo doesn't. Would it be more suitable for me to go to Western? Is having two degrees from Western better than having one engineering degree from Waterloo?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
14 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Not necessarily. If you want to go into computer engineering your better off going straight into computer engineering. Im not an employer but from what ive gathered from engineers i know is that once you have the engineering degree its more about experience then anything else. A dual degree is a lot of work on top of an engineering degree which is already a lot of work to begin with so be weary of that.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Shahep Shahep
Thank you very much. It looks like Waterloo is a much better choice for me compared to Western.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of misSxWartooth misSxWartooth
Waterloo also has a better reputation than Western. Their coop program is much better too, so you will be getting experience (and money) while you learn!!
It is also much easier to get a job out of uni if you went to waterloo. Apparently Steve Jobs only hires canadians who graduated from waterloo, but that might be a bit of an exaggeration.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nai Nai
Yeah the combination of Waterloo's reputation and co-op program, along with it being ranked so high in Maclean's magazine's rankings actually made me drop Western out of my choices for applying when I contrasted the two.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Waterloo is definitely the better option engineering-wise. However if you really can't decide on one engineering course, you're better off going to the general course at Western first, then switch to Waterloo later when you decide which one you want.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of bijanv bijanv
I have to say if I had to redo it I would seriously consider Western just because of the social lifestyle :) Waterloo and UofT are both going to drain you mentally and physically for 4 years, not the best of atmospheres but if academics is really important to you then UW is the way to go between the two.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of danselikeme danselikeme
I'd say waterloo. it has a better reputation and it has one of the best coops program, which means you could pay off your debts :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JT22 JT22
Western FTW!!! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of terry7866 terry7866
What about mcmaster University?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of terry7866 terry7866
What about mcmaster University?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Patrick3 Patrick3
go Waterloo, its the best school in Canada for engineering, so people will like to see a degree for Waterloo. Best rep!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Patrick3 Patrick3
go Waterloo, its the best school in Canada for engineering, so people will like to see a degree for Waterloo. Best rep!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
Waterloo Engineering >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Western Engineering
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DadeMurphy DadeMurphy
Waterloo Engineering all the way. I applied to Waterloo nanotechnology engineering, but decided to opt for the Engineering Science program at UofT instead.

Software engineering was also one of my choices, but I felt that coding was something that I could learn better on my own (as I have been doing for my whole life as far back as I can remember)
Was this helpful? Yes 0