yconic - Western Residence - How are you ranking them?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Western Residence - How are you ranking them?

A photo of Jeffhe Jeffhe
This thread is for those who will be attending Western this fall and living on residence.

On the residence questionnaire, you are asked to rank the residences in order of preference. I know that as business students, our suggested residence is Saugeen since the Social Science/BMOS learning floors are there and it's in close proximity to the Social Science Faculty Building. However, I've heard from senior Western students that Saugeen is the party residence, that "it's not unusual to hear fire alarms go off at 2 am in the morning on weekends". As a result, I'm a little concerned about choosing Saugeen and instead considering Medway and Delware. The thing with me is, I like parties, but there is no way I can survive living in a party zone for 8 months straight. BTW, I'm an AEO with my first 2 years in social science, so maintaining that 80% is my top priority.

My rankings are:

1. Perth - close to Recreation Facility, semi private washrooms, but more expensive
2. Delware - second closest to the Social Science Faculty Building
3. Medway - no reason in particular

Post away!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
24 replies

A photo of Jeffhe Jeffhe
Oh and I forgot to mention, if you are a senior Western student who've lived on residence before, please feel free to share your knowledge and experience with us. It will be greatly appreciated!

One last thing, please provide a reason along with each ranking. And if you are in need of a good roommate, PM me :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mvplayur mvplayur
I'm in the exact same position as you. I'm AEO, so maintaining an 80% average, is obviously my top priority too, but I'm sociable and am looking to meet/party with people next year.

I ranked my residences

1. Medway-Sydenham
2. Delaware
3/4. Saugeen/Essex
5-8. Don't care (Probably London and Elgin 5 and 6 though)

As to why I ranked Med-Syd first, it's because I've yet to hear anything bad about it. I've heard people say that it has a great sociable atmosphere, but that atmosphere doesn't interfere with your studying. One friend of mine says that after 11:00PM, pretty much most people stop working and just chill in the local lounge. Which is a nice alternative to getting hammered and being unproductive the next day. But I'm sure, that aspect isn't exclusive to Med-Syd. Also, I just LIKE the residence and its facilities.

I ranked Delaware second, because of it's close proximity to everywhere. I want to be close to where most of my classes will be, and the Rec Centre.

I'm still undecided on this. Just because I want to live in traditional style, but I'm weary about living in Saugeen. I have heard that Saugeen is exaggerated though, so I won't KILL myself if I land in it though. Essex is a possible 3rd choice because i love it's location. Right beside the gym :) (Yes, I want to go to the gym kind of often)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jeffhe Jeffhe
Yeah, most of the people from my school heading to Western is ranking Medway-Sydenham either first or second. But given that it only houses 400ish people, it's very likely we will end up in Saugeen either way, which is by far the biggest residence. Oh, it's not an exaggeration from what I've heard. Saugeen definitely lives up to its name :)

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Jeffhe wrote
Yeah, most of the people from my school heading to Western is ranking Medway-Sydenham either first or second. But given that it only houses 400ish people, it's very likely we will end up in Saugeen either way, which is by far the biggest residence. Oh, it's not an exaggeration from what I've heard. Saugeen definitely lives up to its name :)

LOL oh man. I'm sure people won't go out of their ways to pull you out of your room and make you party though? I guess it just comes down to how much discipline you have. the library is always an option to study :)

I've selected my roommate so hopefully, that doubles my chances :D

If you end up in Saugeen, would you request a learning community floor? if so, which one?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jeffhe Jeffhe
Yeah, I'd probably pick the Social Science/BMOS learning community floor, despite me being in purely Social Sciences. The reason is because I feel that there is a higher chance I'll be around other AEOs who I can identify with, socially but more importantly, academically :) I don't want to be stuck with a floor that puts partying ahead of all else. I'd rather have the 'choice' to attend parties rather than to be forced to :)

You're right that it comes down to the individual and self-control, but seeing parties often will certainly be distracting and tempting. Also, things like fire alarms going off is not something the individual really do anything about, so there are somethings that are out of our control.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of speedy48 speedy48
My rankings were:
1. delaware
2. med
3. saugeen
4. Perth

The reason I chose tradition style residences is because my buddy and I are rooming together. We both like the old school feel of residences with stone exteriors rather than the newer ones. Feels more genuine to us lol. We both plan on using the rec building but we're not sure about the Perth rez because we just don't like the layout.

I'm doing social science (BMOS) and AEO, and my friend is doing kinesiology so technically Saugeen would be the best for the two of us just because of the floor. But like you said, party reputation is awesome but not something I want to jeopardize my AEO status with. I ranked the leadership floor as my number 1 choice at saugeen just cause it seemed pretty cool lol.

Med seems like the best of both worlds. A chill place, nice aesthetically, a social atmosphere but not too distracting (i hope haha). No matter where we go, we'll have a good time and it comes down to the individual like you guys said before:)

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ott93 ott93
1st Choice: Medway-Sydenham Hall - attractive, very traditional, Faculty of Science floor
2nd Choice: Delaware Hall - attractive, very traditional, great location
3rd Choice: Elgin Hall - best location for suite-style
4th - 7th Choice: don't care whatsoever
8th Choice: Saugeen- Maitland Hall - I love partying, but need to keep an 80% average.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of goldmansachs goldmansachs
What is the deposit that we have to make for residence? 600? Do you guys know by when?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mxfire mxfire

@goldmansachs wrote
What is the deposit that we have to make for residence? 600? Do you guys know by when?

Yes, the deposit is $600. Log into your account at the residence website to make sure, but I believe your deposit and questionnaire should be in by June 6th. That being said, it usually takes 2-3 days for the money transfer to go through so you should aim for around June 2nd.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

@goldmansachs wrote

Bro, send in your residence deposit asap. Online banks take 2-3 days to process transactions. The deadline is June 2nd. If you don't live close to London, you might be screwed if you're not guaranteed residence.

@mxfire: the deposit is due June 2nd, the questionnaire is due June 6th.

@jeffhe and speedy4_: yeah, I agree. I really hope I get med-syd. Even though it's a mission, it could definitely be worse (when I plan to move into off-campus housing in later years). I hope we all get our first choices :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jlithium Jlithium
Sup Jeffhe! I wanted to make a thread but I noticed yours today :)
I'm considering buying a house in the 60k-100k range in London, so that I can basically live for free, and even gain a little money from rent. I know it's not common for first years to live off res, but I have reasons for doing so:

1. I want to make my own small business, and according to Western rules, unauthorized commercial businesses are not allowed on res.

2. I'd not only be living for free, I'd also be earning a bit of rent

3. No residence regulations, more room, etc.

Of course, a big con would be missing the opportunity to connect with a lot of other students. Also, I would need to ride a bike/take the bus. Managing tenants and bills would also be a hassle.

If you've lived off residence, what is your experience? Can you live off campus and still be in the loop? How important is it really to live on res first year?

Any input would be appreciated :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of pengupengu pengupengu
I lived off campus first year. It has its pros and cons but it wasn't a terrible experience.

houses in london are not 60k-100k unless you are planning to buy a house really far from the university (in which case you won't be able to find uwo tenants to get free rent from) but if you mean that you have 60-100k to put towards a downpayment, youll be able to find lots of houses for sale. Just a warning -- the houses close to UWO are pretty expensive. Further away from the university (a bus ride away) it's cheaper but wayyy less convenient. you want a place with a direct bus route to the university, with a GROCERY STORE nearby. good god i cant exaggerate how important the grocery store is.

Living off campus isn't bad! sure you don't have that network of people as in rez but as long as youre sociable, making friends should not be a problem for you.

Living on rez makes you spend around 20k on your education for for first year. Although that sounds exaggerated, with a meal plan, cost of rez and tuition, alcohol money, bus rides to your hometown, eating out, entertainment... the reality is that $20,000 is about as much as youll be paying for the year. Since I missed the rez deposit day I was forced to live off campus, at first it was pretty sad since I like parties but after I realized how much money I was saving and the peace of mind I was getting by not living in a party place, I actually came to enjoy my freedom and experience.

Plus, you think the meal plan costs alot of money? My friend had a large meal plan and it ran out in February so he had to put an extra 1200 on it for the rest of the year (he's by no means fat -- just has a large appetite)

If you are really academically oriented you should consider OC living -- the horror stories of not being able to sleep and parties during times when people have midterms was a reality for many of my rez friends. London is full of parties -- making friends is not difficult at all and it's definitely better to seek the party instead of being forced into it by your environment. Rent for the year for me was only $4000 and i lived a ten minute walk away from UWO. I'm an AEO going into second year got any questions? just ask!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Saugeen-Maitland holds 30% of the students live on rez so don't be too surprised if you end up there.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jlithium Jlithium
Awesome response PenguPengu! I'm an AEO too, but I'll be going into my first year of BMOS this fall. I've got two questions:

1. How did you get to know other people while living OC? Was it in class, extracurriculars, parties, etc?

2.How common (to the best of your knowledge) is it for first year students to live off res?

Thanks again!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of joeyzs2 joeyzs2
Quick question. I just paid the $600 deposit. I was just wondering if they send you an email for the questionnaire or is it on the site or something...?

If anyone can answer, it'd be appreciated!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of onlymatthew onlymatthew
What sort of things can I say on whatever questionnaire to ensure that I'll get a single room? :cat:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Subtle Subtle

@joeyzs2 wrote
Quick question. I just paid the $600 deposit. I was just wondering if they send you an email for the questionnaire or is it on the site or something...?

Once they receive the deposit they will send you the questionnaire.

Hey if you don't mind me asking how did you pay the deposit? When I log into the residence site I don't get any options to pay the deposit.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of joeyzs2 joeyzs2

@Subtle wrote

@joeyzs2 wrote

Once they receive the deposit they will send you the questionnaire.

Hey if you don't mind me asking how did you pay the deposit? When I log into the residence site I don't get any options to pay the deposit.

Oh okay thanks! I hope they send it promptly, I wouldn't want to miss the deadline.

Go to http://www.residenceatwestern.ca/payment.cfm and click into the option you want. For example, I clicked online banking and used my TD savings account.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jeffhe Jeffhe

@onlymatthew wrote
What sort of things can I say on whatever questionnaire to ensure that I'll get a single room? :cat:

Unfortunately nothing. The most you can do is indicate that you want a single room, the rest is all lottery. Just note that applying for a single room doesn't guarantee you one, even if it's in your least preferred residence building.

@Subtle, You don't pay the deposit through their website. Rather you do it through online banking or mail. Online banking is the quickest method and since the deadline is June 2, I recommend this option. All you have to do is add University of Western - Housing as a payee to your bank account and send them the 600 dollar deposit. For example, I'm with TD, so I used easyweb (TD's online banking service) to make my deposit. Expect a confirmation email in a day or so.

FYI, all payment methods are detailed at residenceatwestern.com under the "fees" section.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Subtle Subtle

@Jeffhe wrote

@onlymatthew wrote

Unfortunately nothing. The most you can do is indicate that you want a single room, the rest is all lottery. Just note that applying for a single room doesn't guarantee you one, even if it's in your least preferred residence building.

@Subtle, You don't pay the deposit through their website. Rather you do it through online banking or mail. Online banking is the quickest method and since the deadline is June 2, I recommend this option. All you have to do is add University of Western - Housing as a payee to your bank account and send them the 600 dollar deposit. For example, I'm with TD, so I used easyweb (TD's online banking service) to make my deposit. Expect a confirmation email in a day or so.

FYI, all payment methods are detailed at residenceatwestern.com under the "fees" section.

Okay thanks, but how would they know that it was you who paid? Do they match the bank account information with your Western student id or something?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Subtle Subtle
nvm i got it, thanks everyone
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mxfire mxfire

@joeyzs2 wrote

Once they have recieved your deposit, you should recieve an email from Western verifying your payment. After which, you need to go to the residence website, login and then start the questionnaire.

@onlymatthew wrote

There's a box you can check on the questionnaire that makes your primary choice a single room.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of beyondsection17 beyondsection17

@Username81 wrote
Saugeen-Maitland holds 30% of the students live on rez so don't be too surprised if you end up there.

+1

And really, it's nothing like the horror stories. It's just a res.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Dyztopia Dyztopia
I'm an AEO as well

1. Saugeen
2. Doesn't matter
Was this helpful? Yes 0