yconic - Western Residences Thread!!!!!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Western Residences Thread!!!!!

A photo of xxMoonCakezxx xxMoonCakezxx
Hello there!

I applied to UWO, and now if I seriously consider going there, I'd have to pick a residence!

So...let us all chat about residences, party floors, apartment styles, roommates, and proximity to classes!

Begin!

Those who are presently at Western: what's your rez and why do you like/dislike it?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
19 replies

A photo of Kyhaara Kyhaara
I'm hoping to get into Western as one of my choices... I'm thinking of getting a single room, though, because I'm particular about neatness and don't want a messy/party-animal roommate who might touch my stuff.... but I am hoping that Western has a nice atmosphere for making friends. I went on their Campus Tour, and gosh, the campus is stunning.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

Do any of the residences have private washrooms for just yourself?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 123abcuwo 123abcuwo

@xxMoonCakezxx wrote

Nope. Even if you get suite-style residence, you still have to share it with 1 other person. (your 3rd & 4th roommate will share the 2nd bathroom in the suite)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@123abcuwo wrote

@xxMoonCakezxx wrote

Nope. Even if you get suite-style residence, you still have to share it with 1 other person. (your 3rd & 4th roommate will share the 2nd bathroom in the suite)

Chances of getting suite-style res?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Okay everyone! After the open-house yesterday, who wants to stay where?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup
Try to get Elgin, Essex, or Lambton. Just don't get Saugeen. I heard that at Saugeen, they play beer pong @ 4am everyday and that it's super loud there...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of PoorraniM PoorraniM
Went to both the November and March Open House! Went to the March one for the sole reason of finding residences I liked...

So far it seems to me that London and Perth are my top two... anyone know the chances of getting in to either residence? I know they are no where near as big as Saugeen but I also know that Saugeen is NOT the place for me, :/
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mmmmmmmn mmmmmmmn
I'm still deciding whether I should get a single room or double...:s and suite or traditional :compress: ahhhh

also for the meal size how small is the smallest....is it like eating maybe below average? gahh all this payment and stuff is just crazzzy:bounce: so much money involved :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of matt1212 matt1212
I kinda want to get saugeen to be honest. I've been living in rez since grade 10 and why wouldn't you want to be where all the fun is? My residences were always loud, that's why you get noise cancelling headphones for when you want to study.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Good question - is it totally unreasonable to get the smallest meal plan?

Also, is it worth getting a suite style? They are a lot more expensive but for the privacy and ability to cook 0 is it worth it?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TheLaw TheLaw
I'm from MedSyd and I love it here. There are always parties to be found, but its not always very loud. I havent had any trouble sharing bathroom and shower with 15 other ppl.

and for the meal plan, I got a medium, and that will last you the entire year if u budget it properly.

traditional has a friendlier environment than suit style and is more fun.

ps. Saugeen is not as crazy as ppl say, but the rooms are tiny.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Chelbear Chelbear
I just returned from the open house last week. I was only able to get to two residences to tour them. I thought that I would check out Saugeen to see what the issues are with the famous residence. Overall it seemed pretty typical and not run down. Still quite a few students housed in one residence though. I also toured Elgin. The suite style was nice but given that I will be a first year student I would think that it would be better to be in a traditional style residence. With Delaware being the closest for the science buildings, what do people think of that residence?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of rendell23 rendell23
Ive never seen any residence other than Saugeen. Im leaning towards Elgin and Essex Hall mainly because I want my own room. Which of those two would be the better choice?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of stack444 stack444
is there any advantage to accepting an offer of admission to western before june 2nd? does it give you advanced choice of residence?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup

@rendell23 wrote
Ive never seen any residence other than Saugeen. Im leaning towards Elgin and Essex Hall mainly because I want my own room. Which of those two would be the better choice?

You can't go wrong with both. Many say Essex is a bit better...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Penguineer Penguineer
Does Western have a complete lottery system for rez, like everyone is pooled together after the deadline and its chosen that way or does the earlier you accept the offer give you an advantage?

Just wondering so I know how much time I have to consider my choices :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ecabby ecabby

@Penguineer wrote
Does Western have a complete lottery system for rez, like everyone is pooled together after the deadline and its chosen that way or does the earlier you accept the offer give you an advantage?

Just wondering so I know how much time I have to consider my choices :)

No they wait until everyone has accepted their offer so they know how many people they are dealing with and then assign the lottery numbers.

Does anyone know how many residences you have to put down as choices on your form? Is it 7?
Was this helpful? Yes 0