yconic - Western U main campus - Pros and Cons
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Western U main campus - Pros and Cons

A photo of TH3U TH3U
pros and cons of university of western ontario
also how is the social enviroment there...is they ppl there really smart and sophistaated , how bout the coloured ppl are they accepted too and is it easy to make friends
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of sherrybloosm sherrybloosm
There aren't many colored people here. Such disappointing aberration for me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo

@sherrybloosm wrote

In other words, you are from Toronto and have no idea what the rest of the world is like. Western does have quite an ethnically diverse student population; not as diverse as Toronto's general population but diverse nonetheless.

However, that was not the OP's concern. I didn't see any blatant racism in my time at Western; it's a pretty accepting community. Canadians are raised to believe that discussion of race and discrimination based on race are essentially cardinal sins, so you don't see much of either. Hence the reason I say "blatant" racism is because subtle racial discrimination occurs all the time, and it is not at all entirely on the behalf of white people (if anything, I find East Asians to be most discriminatory, as they are usually discriminatory to nationality too). People tend to hang out with only people of their race. This is true at Western, and it's true pretty much everywhere where there is a diverse population.

Are the people really smart and sophisticated? I'd say so, but, again, not in a blatant fashion. If you walk around campus, you're much more likely to hear students talking about how drunk they got on the weekend than how they prefer consequentialist libertarian municipalism to the direct democracy political systems typically found in the Western world. Admissions standards are high at Western though, so the students were typically at the top of their classes (85%+ averages) in high school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel

@mynameismattgotmlgo wrote

@sherrybloosm wrote

In other words, you are from Toronto and have no idea what the rest of the world is like. Western does have quite an ethnically diverse student population; not as diverse as Toronto's general population but diverse nonetheless.

Having recently moved from Edmonton to Toronto this made me laugh. First of all, I feel like nobody speaks English, there are always 10 different languages being spoken when I'm in public. Second of all, there are probably no more than a few thousand Jewish people in Edmonton, obviously not the case in TO. Third of all, there are WAY more black people in Toronto. I could go on...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
There are a lot more Jewish people in Toronto than in Edmonton, that's for sure.
Was this helpful? Yes 0