yconic - What am I doing wrong?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

What am I doing wrong?

A photo of A23C A23C
Honestly,

I dont get how people get 95s in test like economics.. I mean most of you here have fairly high averages... I mean how do you approach a test?

I tried everything from typed notes, to writtin, to spreading out the knowledge.. sleeping earlier..

Still.. I always dont get all the content...

+ I always get distracted and end up taking breaks = hours and hours of studying for a test...

ALL of you with high marks 90 or higher.. how do you approach and test and get that high mark.. please all suggestions highly appriciated. Im around that mid - high 80s range.. and I want to push it...

I see people typing they study like an hour for a test and get 90s easily.. are these kids just trolls or serious?

So how do YOU approach a test? Say you had a test on accounting Friday, today is Tuesday.. what do you do? NO TROLLS (I set myself up didnt I)

(PS Dont call me stupid or anything)

Thanks SO MUCH :bball:

Was this helpful? Yes 0
21 replies

A photo of g93 g93
Well, there is such a thing as inflation (or in some cases deflation).

For your accounting test example, today is Monday, not Tuesday. For me, I try to study Thursday night but typically don't and then Friday at lunch do some last-minute studying with my friends who are also in accounting. Seemed to work on the last test (98% :bounce:).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of A23C A23C

@g93 wrote

For your accounting test example, today is Monday, not Tuesday. For me, I try to study Thursday night but typically don't and then Friday at lunch do some last-minute studying with my friends who are also in accounting. Seemed to work on the last test (98% :bounce:).

This doesnt help at all lol. And your school = inflation then :P. My school covers everything in the textbook, and tests us really hard on the concepts too..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
Honestly, good memory. I have a very good memory that even for application-based courses (econ, math etc), I just memorize examples (there's only so many different things they can throw at you) and I'm set for the test/exam.

Also I'm a visual learning so drawing lots of diagrams/charts really helps, and I always teach the material to myself and explain concepts without looking at my notes to make sure I know it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sarahq93 sarahq93
like inthemaking said, just memorize. write down examples or notes 5-8 times. it will get to a point where you hand will just know what to write.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of A23C A23C
Thanks for the informative reply!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of clairec21 clairec21

@inthemaking wrote
Honestly, good memory. I have a very good memory that even for application-based courses (econ, math etc), I just memorize examples (there's only so many different things they can throw at you) and I'm set for the test/exam.

Same here. For anything that involves math, I go through my binder and re-do every example the night before a test. Then I memorize everything else. I find that's what I have to do-simply memorize as much as I can.
I rarely start studying any sooner than the night before a test. For an exam I usually start 2-3 days before.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of A23C A23C
Thanks man, but for math I know practice is key, but for key memorization subjects..

Like say for theory in economics..

Do you make notes ( hand writtin, typed) Study in one sitting? Do divide into several days? Thanks!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of A23C A23C
Thanks man, but for math I know practice is key, but for key memorization subjects..

Like say for theory in economics..

Do you make notes ( hand written, typed) Study in one sitting? Do divide into several days? Thanks!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of saber33 saber33

@A23C wrote

This doesnt help at all lol. And your school = inflation then :P. My school covers everything in the textbook, and tests us really hard on the concepts too..

In your opinion.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of A23C A23C
Maybe so.. since you're applying to major universities, can you share some tips?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@A23C wrote

@g93 wrote

Ha ha, I find this funny, my school = hardcore deflation. Average for classes are quite low, anything in the 90s is insane, highest maverage is a 94/95 and the kid is a genius (perfect scores on his SATs), great school rep, a lot of smart kids coming out of our school over the years. I don't have a 98 average, or anything near that. An example of how hard my school is is my AF class average- 59/60/61 (can't remember fully). Grade 12 physics class this year has a 62 average. We don't have bird courses, Business Leadership class has a 70 average.

Accounting- we get tested on everything in the textbook plus some other stuff that is not in the textbook. Any assignments are marked REALLY hard. It's not fun :pale:.

The most studying I do is the review. Then before the test I do some last-minute cramming. I find it works. Studying the entire week before for a total of 6-10 hours seems like a huge waste to me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of saber33 saber33
I barely study and get good marks. I doubt I'm the kind of person you would turn to for advice.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@saber33 wrote
I barely study and get good marks. I doubt I'm the kind of person you would turn to for advice.

Same here. But maybe the OP needs to study less. maybe the problem is they're studying too much :bball:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kevinlei8 kevinlei8
Sometimes I think it really depends on what teacher you have; a bio teacher at this school may give out marks more easily than a bio teacher at another.

Anyway, I always feel more concentrated and ready to soak up info after a nice workout session. To keep focused, sometimes I even do just 10 pushups, shake my head a few times and get back to it. I think it works well! Haha, try it!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of safarhealthsci1 safarhealthsci1
I have noticed that i study better last minute. When i study a week in advance I find it hard to take it seriously so it becomes ineffective. On the last day before the test because you HAVE TO study, I do a better job.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of A23C A23C
Thanks for all the great replies..

Now for a subject say like biology, or economics, a lot of memorizing... would you guys make notes, or just study straight from textbook?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
^ Read the textbook, skim over notes. Never write anything out. The odd time I read the notes aloud. Or if we're studying at lunch we read stuff from the textbook that sounds important and that we should have studied but didn't know, and I find it sticks.

Don't know if that helps...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of A23C A23C
Surely does!! Thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of RyanLePage RyanLePage
Have someone quiz you on the content. That helps.

I generally look over things the day before though
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of onlymatthew onlymatthew
It's all about using your resources... ask people who have taken that specific course (or even better, that specific teacher) for tips or their old notes. Old notes are actually EXTREMELY helpful, and although you may not know the exact questions that are going to be asked, it's good seeing the thought process of other students. Try to find someone with a similar ambition and academic level so you can measure the amount of time you study with them. You'll know you're spending your time unwisely if you study way more for a particular test than your peers but end up with a worse mark.

Ask the teacher personally what the outline of the test is going to be like and study accordingly. I.e. multiple choice, be prepared to know general facts. More comprehensive essay questions? Browse through wikipedia or books to make sure you understand all the broad umbrella topics that could be asked. Also, for things like sciences or maths (i'm thinking physics, chem, math specifically), you'll usually get some marks just for stating the necessary variables and writing down the write equations.

Unfortunately, sometimes doing well on a test isn't always about knowing the most, it's about beating the school system and giving teachers "the answer the textbook wants" instead of exhibiting an educated thought process. Teachers look for specific things when marking, and sometimes it's entirely about regurgating random facts, lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0