yconic - What are my Chances??
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

What are my Chances??

A photo of Shay7t Shay7t
Hey, I was just wondering what my chances are getting into any one of these programs given my grades and EC's (my grade 11 overall average was 90 on the dot). I want to apply to Western Ivey AEO, Schulich, UofT Rotmans, and Waterloo Arts&Business. And in that order of preference. It's just I have a feeling I'm aiming too high.

Current Grades:
Adv Functions: 82
Data Manage.: 80
Economics: 96
Student Mentorship (random U course to boost my mark(A)): 94

Next Semester (expected grades):
English: 89
Calc: 87
International Business: 95

EC'S:
- D.E.C.A. President
- Girls Volleyball,
- Varsity Slo-Pitch,
- Varsity Co-Ed Ultimate Frisbee
- Member of Lung Association Club
- Member of School Athletic Council
- Member of Student Leadership club
- part-time job with 15 hours/week
- 50 community hours (i know, embarrassingly low :P)

Other Questions:
- Any recommendations for other good business programs (but no Queen's cause they're just too damn expensive)?

Would appreciate any type of feedback :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of aeryn aeryn
Ivey AEO - probably. Depends on your supplementary.
Schulich - low chances, but it could happen. Boosting your top 6 average even half a percent could make a big difference. Right now your top 6 seems to be 90.5 from what info you've given, but a 91+ should be your aim. 92 to be safer, actually.
Rotman/loo - You'll get in. Don't know about Waterloo arts&business but you should be fine.

Random side note - why is everyone saying Rotmans or Rotman's? It's just Rotman! D:

Oh and you mentioned that Queen's is too expensive? But Western/Ivey would be similar in terms of tuition :/
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ren416 Ren416
does the number of community service hours you have actually matter? I mean, when universities look at your profile don't they just see if your 40 hours is complete for not?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aeryn aeryn

@Ren416 wrote
does the number of community service hours you have actually matter? I mean, when universities look at your profile don't they just see if your 40 hours is complete for not?

It matters if you talk about it in your supplementary as one of your extracurricular activities. If it shows dedication/perseverance/the positive impact that you made/your leadership skills/etc, you should definitely include it and it will matter.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@aeryn wrote

@Ren416 wrote

It matters if you talk about it in your supplementary as one of your extracurricular activities. If it shows dedication/perseverance/the positive impact that you made/your leadership skills/etc, you should definitely include it and it will matter.

Well, the actual hours aren't too important. Having 78 hours versus 69 means diddly squat. They are looking for leadership, tangible results, and dedication. If you volunteer somewhere three times a week somewhere and have accumulated well over 1500 hours, that might be something you wish to share, as it definitely shows dedication and is quite impressive. But don't let the hours do the talking, let what you did do the talking. What did you do for those 40, 69, 78 or 1500+ hours?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of RobertTan RobertTan
Ivey/Schulich: Your chances are pretty moderate given your expected position
Rotman: Likely offer
Waterloo Arts&Business: Not sure but you should get the offer

I agree with aeryn, Western Ivey tuition is actually more expensive than Queen's Commerce tuition. Queen's also offers various scholarships and bursaries if you show the financial needs via an application.

Cheers
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ren416 Ren416
hey guys thanks for the info, but my question is does the number of hours you submit to your guidence counsellor actually matter? I only have like 50 hours submitted but I volunteered for lots of other things and bother getting them signed because I thought OUAC only displays whether you have your 40 hours completed or not.

So when I write down the number of hours that I committed to an e/c, do I have to have some sort of proof on paper?

Also, does universities know or ask how many community service hours you have?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sweetcrush sweetcrush
hi
i am a new student to canada & have approx 60% in grade 11 english. other subjects:
advanced functions 80%
international business 90%
global issues 85%

i have done volunteering bt nt tht much.
i had a lot of extra-curricular in my previous school.
I have lots of international experience.

wht could be my chances of getting into afm?

p.s. i have given the cambridge o'level exam in english and got a B in it.
and theres a lot of difference in british & canadian english. but stil i m improving.
Was this helpful? Yes 0