yconic - What are my chances? :(
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

What are my chances? :(

A photo of findtheshit findtheshit
Applied to Mac Business and Laurier BBA as my first choices.

English - 75 (upgraded from 35, dropped course fail -_-)
Religion - 77
Advanced Functions - 69 (currently upgrading, 85 probable)
International Business - possibly 80 midterm
Accounting - possibly 75 midterm
Calculus - possibly 85 midterm

My avg with the 3 courses is only a 73...

What do i Need to do to get a chance to be accepted?

Any help is appreciated. In a bad position..
Was this helpful? Yes 0
23 replies

A photo of Blistex Blistex

@findtheshit wrote
Applied to Mac Business and Laurier BBA as my first choices.

English - 75 (upgraded from 35, dropped course fail -_-)
Religion - 77
Advanced Functions - 69 (currently upgrading, 85 probable)
International Business - possibly 80 midterm
Accounting - possibly 75 midterm
Calculus - possibly 85 midterm

My avg with the 3 courses is only a 73...

What do i Need to do to get a chance to be accepted?

Any help is appreciated. In a bad position..

Hm you need to work quite a bit. For Degroote you need an average of ATLEAST an 82-83, and Laurier requires high 80's ( The exact number I'm not sure of, but I'm sure someone has mentionned this on another thread ).

If I were you, get your math marks to a 90 and try getting atleast an 80 in Accounting or an 83-85 in IB.

Work hard, and you're sure to make it :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
No chance at Laurier BBA. You might get an alternate offer to Honours Economics, which is an underrated program.

If you can get a low 80, you have a chance at Mac, otherwise no.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Blistex Blistex
Whoops forgot to mention, what I said would most likely get you into McMaster.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Gucci Gucci
How do people get higher marks in calculus than english? Seems odd to me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BBABOSS BBABOSS

@Gucci wrote
How do people get higher marks in calculus than english? Seems odd to me.

English is very judgmental, you could be a genius and if your teacher doesn't like the way you write, then you won't get a good mark. Where as math has a correct answer, so if your right, then your right.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Gucci Gucci

@BBABOSS wrote

English is very judgmental, you could be a genius and if your teacher doesn't like the way you write, then you won't get a good mark. Where as math has a correct answer, so if your right, then your right.

I see,

But I don't fully agree with your statement. It isn't so much if the teacher likes your writing or not, it's if it follows the general guidelines of writing.

I have a 95 in english, and it's mainly because of the fact there's this thing called completion marks. When you're entitled to write an opinion on a topic, there isn't a right or a wrong, therefore, if you have the ability to write properly then your bound to get an above average mark.

You agree?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Gucci wrote

@BBABOSS wrote

I see,

But I don't fully agree with your statement. It isn't so much if the teacher likes your writing or not, it's if it follows the general guidelines of writing.

I have a 95 in english, and it's mainly because of the fact there's this thing called completion marks. When you're entitled to write an opinion on a topic, there isn't a right or a wrong, therefore, if you have the ability to write properly then your bound to get an above average mark.

You agree?

To addEnglish is very hard marking at my school (and many others).

My Grade 11 English teacher was really hard marker. Hated to give 90s. 80 was considered good. He showed us an essay from a few years past. It wasn't that good, yet he said it was the highest mark he had every given- a 96 I think. We were all kind of puzzled. After writing our essays, we felt many of ours were better than that other one (typically doing well in other Eng classes) and yet ended up with 80s and 70s. Blah.

Opinionated.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BBABOSS BBABOSS

@Gucci wrote

@BBABOSS wrote

I see,

You agree?

Somewhat, but what if your teacher doesn't like how you argued your opinion? or feels the opposite way of your opinion? They will still give you a bad mark, and there's no way to prove you should of gotten more marks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@BBABOSS wrote

@Gucci wrote

@BBABOSS wrote

I see,

You agree?

Somewhat, but what if your teacher doesn't like how you argued your opinion? or feels the opposite way of your opinion? They will still give you a bad mark, and there's no way to prove you should of gotten more marks.

+ 1
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Gucci Gucci
Whatever teacher gives you a low mark because they don't agree with what you're saying isn't doing their job properly. How about you ask your teacher why you didn't get a 90 on so and so, then work on whatever he said you didn't do (An Idea). There are around 2-3 kids in my class with over 90's in english, everyone else is floating around high 70's to mid 80's.

Many kids in my class do not know how to properly structure their ideas and their work. I was reading some of my classmate's short stories and half of them wouldn't even know when to put periods at the end of their sentences. I was reading their entire stories without taking a breath LOL.

Structuring sentences properly, following general english guidelines when writing essay's, stories etc and getting on the good side of your teacher will get you over a 90 if you're capable. Trust me, I'll go to your school's english course and most definitely get a 90.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mikey12y mikey12y
I hate english teachers. foreal. Hardest class to get a good mark in.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Gucci Gucci
I must have a really forgiving english teacher then, or maybe I'm just a wonderful student.

probably the second one.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Gucci wrote
Whatever teacher gives you a low mark because they don't agree with what you're saying isn't doing their job properly. How about you ask your teacher why you didn't get a 90 on so and so, then work on whatever he said you didn't do (An Idea). There are around 2-3 kids in my class with over 90's in english, everyone else is floating around high 70's to mid 80's.

Many kids in my class do not know how to properly structure their ideas and their work. I was reading some of my classmate's short stories and half of them wouldn't even know when to put periods at the end of their sentences. I was reading their entire stories without taking a breath LOL.

Structuring sentences properly, following general english guidelines when writing essay's, stories etc and getting on the good side of your teacher will get you over a 90 if you're capable. Trust me, I'll go to your school's english course and most definitely get a 90.

And they are getting 70s and 80s? Definitely inflation.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Gucci wrote
Trust me, I'll go to your school's english course and most definitely get a 90.

In my Grade 11 English class, there was zero 90s. My friend who scored perfect on his SATs could only pull of an 89.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Gucci Gucci

@johnnycanuck wrote

@Gucci wrote

You act like getting a 70 is hard.

Maybe my brain works differently, ya, that must be it.

g93, I don't understand your logic. I have friends who have over 97 averages in all their advanced math classes and they barely study. They're obviously fairly smart, but they all have low 80 english marks. Think of english as abstractive art. Most people that I have met that were gifted writers and could think outside the box were below average at math but substantially well at english.

Although the fact that you think I couldn't get a 90 in the english class you atteneded bewilders me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Gucci wrote

@johnnycanuck wrote

@Gucci wrote

g93, I don't understand your logic. I have friends who have over 97 averages in all their advanced math classes and they barely study. They're obviously fairly smart, but they all have low 80 english marks. Think of english as abstractive art. Most people that I have met that were gifted writers and could think outside the box were below average at math but substantially well at english.

Although the fact that you think I couldn't get a 90 in the english class you atteneded bewilders me.

Oh, his english ability is just as good, if not better than his math ability
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Gucci wrote

@johnnycanuck wrote

@Gucci wrote

By high school, if you can't remember to put periods at the end of your sentences, you should not be passing, let alone getting a 70.

And getting a 70 is moderately hard. Class average often in the 60s, so 70 is good.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Gucci Gucci
Am I missing something? is your fking teacher JK Rowling?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Gucci wrote
Am I missing something? is your fking teacher JK Rowling?

No, although they have wrote a few books.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This was my teacher's method, mark the dumb kids easy and mark the smart kids hard.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Gucci Gucci

@mikey12y wrote
This was my teacher's method, mark the dumb kids easy and mark the smart kids hard.

That all make sense, I must be dumb!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

lol nah easy meaning giving them 75's when really they are 50's.

You don't go to my school anyways hah.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Pharger Pharger
My school's english teachers mainly mark essays based on ideas and analysis more than grammer and technical corrections.
For example, if your teacher is a woman and you're a genius arguing about how "the feminist movement was wrong," YOU WILL DIE regardless of your arguments, ideas, sources etc.(instant 70,71, or below)
Was this helpful? Yes 0