yconic - What are my chances for Math/CA?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

What are my chances for Math/CA?

A photo of Powerfoe Powerfoe
I have okay-ish ECs such as student council, peer tutoring, and the prestigious music council. Here are my marks:

Advanced Functions 95
Calculus 94
Data Management 94
Accounting 93
Physics 93
English 89

Average: 93

I think I am pretty good, guys. What do you think?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
13 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Seems good, if only you had i dunno... like 5% higher in all your courses. That would probably seal the deal. Those are some nice EC's, especially the PRESTIGOUS music council, it will help a lot.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
I am a former Math/CA student.

The way UW Math does its acceptances is like this: You have a base mark (Out of 100) and bonus marks based on your AIF and Euclid (Out of 13). They add this up (Totalling 113). Last year the cutoff was 103. The lowest mark most people had were around 94 although there were exceptions.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Rela Rela
Have fun at your alternate program!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SevenFlow SevenFlow

@Rela wrote

LOL you're so mean >.>. Anyway I think a lot is riding on your Euclid scores since your extra curriculars aren't so great (in terms of breadth of activities and quality of positions). Did you do well on the math contests?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Rela Rela

@SevenFlow wrote

@Rela wrote

LOL you're so mean >.>. Anyway I think a lot is riding on your Euclid scores since your extra curriculars aren't so great (in terms of breadth of activities and quality of positions). Did you do well on the math contests?

He did the same thing to a person asking about Laurier and Waterloo programs. If he doesn't try to contribute to the forum, he shouldn't get a good answer either. However, I agree, OP's marks and extracurriculars are sub-par to many other applicants to the Math/CA program, so his chances are pretty low.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jason202 Jason202

@Rela wrote

@SevenFlow wrote

@Rela wrote

He did the same thing to a person asking about Laurier and Waterloo programs. If he doesn't try to contribute to the forum, he shouldn't get a good answer either. However, I agree, OP's marks and extracurriculars are sub-par to many other applicants to the Math/CA program, so his chances are pretty low.

+1
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Jason202 wrote

@Rela wrote

@SevenFlow wrote

@Rela wrote

+1

Oh my bad. I didn't see his other post, pretty sure he's just trolling then...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of apark17 apark17
oh man last year i had 94 average, pretty good extra extracurriculars = no acceptance :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of GainTheHedge GainTheHedge
high average and good ECs are all relative when you are comparing to a field of 100+ applications. Did you happen to write the Euclid? That said, it's still early and Math/CAs is not a program which gives out too many early offers since they like to check out their candidate pool more extensively. No need to panic.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

All the people that I know who have gotten acceptances have 95+ averages and either amazing EC's or very good contest results.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Haru Haru
Lol. Immaculatedx is not trolling xD Big contributor of this forum you could say!

But in my year, there were averages below 94% who got excepted while 95%+ didn't. It all depends on how things add up and they do take into account all aspect of your profile. Euclid is definitely a plus, but doing poorly is better than not doing it. Let's just say it's a bonus, and it can only add to your admissions avg not down.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BrendanSong BrendanSong

@Rela wrote

+1

But anyways, unless this prestigious music council is exclusive to future CA's, ur chances are lookin kinda grim
Was this helpful? Yes 0