yconic - What are my chances of getting accepted by McGill Arts?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

What are my chances of getting accepted by McGill Arts?

A photo of emmah66 emmah66
Hi!

I'm currently a first year student at the University of Waterloo. I attended a prestigious high school and my "top six" average was 96, while my Gr. 12 average was 94 (my average had always been in the 90s). I took seven APs and earned fives on all of them.

Then I decided to go to Waterloo for actuarial science. That's where I screwed up. I started my first term with five courses and completely overwhelmed myself. I ended up dropped one course, and failed three--all of which were math courses. The only one I completed was an English course, for which I earned a mark of 81%.

Now I'm in non-degree and taking all arts courses. I have earned an average of 85% on my midterms. Should I maintain this average, what are my chances of getting accepted by McGill Arts?

Thanks a lot!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of picottj001 picottj001

@emmah66 wrote
Hi!

I'm currently a first year student at the University of Waterloo. I attended a prestigious high school and my "top six" average was 96, while my Gr. 12 average was 94 (my average had always been in the 90s). I took seven APs and earned fives on all of them.

Then I decided to go to Waterloo for actuarial science. That's where I screwed up. I started my first term with five courses and completely overwhelmed myself. I ended up dropped one course, and failed three--all of which were math courses. The only one I completed was an English course, for which I earned a mark of 81%.

Now I'm in non-degree and taking all arts courses. I have earned an average of 85% on my midterms. Should I maintain this average, what are my chances of getting accepted by McGill Arts?

Thanks a lot!

This simply proves that your high school didn't prepare you well enough for university. I highly doubt that your high school is even considered prestigious if kids have approximately 95% top 6 averages.
I go to the #1 BEST high school in Ontario http://ontario.compareschoolrankings.org/secondary/SchoolsByRankLocationName.aspx and only one student in the entire high school had a 90+ average on the honour roll for first semester.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Konn2011 Konn2011
emmah66, I feel your pain. If you've already applied, just sit tight and cross your fingers. I suspect your chance would be pretty slim because of the three failed courses. But hope springs eternal.

picottj001, "I go to the #1 BEST high school in Ontario" - lol. I don't suppose you know what criteria the Fraser Institute uses to come up with those rankings?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of thtbwoii thtbwoii
Going to a 'prestigious high school' is the stupidest thing iv heard in my life, its about the marks and EC's, not whether your school is #1 or #400…maybe if you people stopped being cocky, you wouldn't end up being dumb asses and messing up first year
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of picottj001 picottj001

@thtbwoii wrote
Going to a 'prestigious high school' is the stupidest thing iv heard in my life, its about the marks and EC's, not whether your school is #1 or #400…maybe if you people stopped being cocky, you wouldn't end up being dumb asses and messing up first year

Konn2011: Yes, they use the results of the math and Literacy Test to rank schools, and keep in mind that the tests are all standardized throughout Ontario. Thus, it must be a clear indication as to the material learnt and how well one learns at these high schools.

Well, you must be quite ignorant. Why do you suppose many parents send their kids to prestigious private schools such as UCC, Branksome Hall, TFS, and pay over $20-30K for their education? Parents that can hardly afford it still decide to do so.

I wouldn’t be surprised if you struggle to cope with the fact that you will no longer be at the top of the class in 1st year because you were attending an awful high school. You will most definitively sense the “grade shock” whereas I most likely won’t. :geek:

Most people in the Toronto area are quite amazed when I say that I attend St. Mikes; they all know it’s prestigious and highly regarded by many. Every year, over 200 students audition and only 30 get accepted.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AgriGen AgriGen
No one is amazed or cares
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@picottj001 wrote

@thtbwoii wrote

Konn2011: Yes, they use the results of the math and Literacy Test to rank schools, and keep in mind that the tests are all standardized throughout Ontario. Thus, it must be a clear indication as to the material learnt and how well one learns at these high schools.

Well, you must be quite ignorant. Why do you suppose many parents send their kids to prestigious private schools such as UCC, Branksome Hall, TFS, and pay over $20-30K for their education? Parents that can hardly afford it still decide to do so.

I wouldn’t be surprised if you struggle to cope with the fact that you will no longer be at the top of the class in 1st year because you were attending an awful high school. You will most definitively sense the “grade shock” whereas I most likely won’t. :geek:

Most people in the Toronto area are quite amazed when I say that I attend St. Mikes; they all know it’s prestigious and highly regarded by many. Every year, over 200 students audition and only 30 get accepted.

Are you kidding me? You can do well on the Gr.10 literacy test which is a joke simply by reading books at home. I'm amazed at the advice some high school kids in this forum give based on what they heard.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of rosemariemegill rosemariemegill

@picottj001 wrote

@thtbwoii wrote

St. Mike's as in Kemptville's st. Mike's?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Kareemy Kareemy
Guys, it's silly arguing things like these. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, so let's just move on!

I also applied to McGill Arts by the way, and all I have to go by is that a my friend got into Bio-Med last year with an 87, while I have an 89. I might be wrong, but typically, I think it's harder to get into Science programs because they're much more competitive, so I think 88-ish is a guarantee!
Was this helpful? Yes 0