yconic - What are my chances of getting into UWO Biomed???
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

What are my chances of getting into UWO Biomed???

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
K so I'm kind of worried... I want to Biomed at UWO, but my biology mark is...well let's just say it's really bad.

So this is my top six

English - 90
Econ - 94
Chem - 70
Adv Func - 80
Calc - 80
Studies in Lit - 95

Final Average is 84.8

What do you think my chances are of getting into Biomed???
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of FiresinX FiresinX
I'm pretty sure they include your biology mark in your top 6...meaning your average is below 84.8%. I had around 84.5% average last year when I applied and I got no rejection or reply from them for their biomed program...so i would assume last year it was 85%+.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@FiresinX wrote
I'm pretty sure they include your biology mark in your top 6...meaning your average is below 84.8%. I had around 84.5% average last year when I applied and I got no rejection or reply from them for their biomed program...so i would assume last year it was 85%+.

Thanks for the reply. But I read on their site and pamphlet that the only requirements are english, advanced functions and two of the following: chem, bio, calc, data, physics, comp sci and earth w/e. So... with an 84.8% do you think I can get in? Oh and they might consider the fact that I'm IB...?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
If you're an Ontario student, they won't look at your IB marks unless you request them to look at your predicteds in lieu of your Ontario marks.

Generally biomed sci is pretty competitive so while you do have a chance of getting in, it's not a guarantee. A "safe" average would probably be 87-89%.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of FiresinX FiresinX
Inthemaking is right. 87-89% is a safe average and I'm pretty sure 87% would be enough. Also, i'm pretty sure being an IB student doesn't help you at all to get into to program.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@FiresinX wrote
Inthemaking is right. 87-89% is a safe average and I'm pretty sure 87% would be enough. Also, i'm pretty sure being an IB student doesn't help you at all to get into to program.

Thanks for the response. Okay well I know they look at my average, but is 80s in math good enough to get in given the fact that my average is in the high 80s range?

And they might consider the fact that I'm IB... I mean I know someone who got admitted into the program with an 84 and he was in IB. And then I know another kid with an 88 who didn't get in and he wasn't IB... So that's why I asked that question. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Everyone I know of who got accepted, and are already going there had marks above 85 for sure...so I'm not sure. I also know someone who did have 87 and did get rejected, which I thought was weird. So, I would say 89% is the safest average. I got in a week or 2 ago with a 92 avg. a lot of my friends right now have 89 or like a bit lower and still are waiting...I guess its a lot more competitive than people give it credit for!

But if you're doing so 'badly' in bio, plus the fact that your math and chem mark are the lowest in what you listed, why would you want to go into biomed? (not judging, actually just wondering). But good luck! :)

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lost123 lost123
[quote=unibound888]K so I'm kind of worried... I want to Biomed at UWO, but my biology mark is...well let's just say it's really bad.

So this is my top six

English - 90
Econ - 94
Chem - 70
Adv Func - 80
Calc - 80
Studies in Lit - 95

Final Average is 84.8

Did you get accepted yet? im on the same level and have the same mark? do you know?!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Commando3200 Commando3200

@unibound888 wrote
K so I'm kind of worried... I want to Biomed at UWO, but my biology mark is...well let's just say it's really bad.

So this is my top six

English - 90
Econ - 94
Chem - 70
Adv Func - 80
Calc - 80
Studies in Lit - 95

Final Average is 84.8

What are your predicted grades?
Was this helpful? Yes 0