yconic - What are my chances of getting into Waterloo AFM-PA?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

What are my chances of getting into Waterloo AFM-PA?

A photo of tgibbonsss tgibbonsss
Here are my marks:
-Advanced Functions 88
-Accounting 89
-Data Management 84
-Calculus 91 (midterm)
-English 80 (midterm)
-International Business 92(midterm)

Here are my AIF particulars:
- Part time job at Swiss Chalet
- Referee for the BYHA
- School Football Team
- School Ball Hockey Team
- Out side of school Ice Hockey Team

What are my chances of getting in, based on if I had an average AFMAA?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of SkylarNoeL SkylarNoeL
Overall average: 87.3%

AIF: How well you wrote your AIF matters as well, specifically the free-response essay sections. Extracurriculars seem about average. Not outstanding, but not lacking either.

-

Based on this, I'd say you're more likely to get deferred into B/F than get your original choice of CA.

However, the AFMAA will at this point alone probably decide whether you get into CA (with above average performance), B/F (with average performance) or not at all (with poor performance).

Basically it's all up to the AFMAA, which is every applicant's unknown. Kinda unnerving, eh? I think you have a reasonable shot though, for either CA or B/F depending on your AFMAA :)

Gluck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

What if I do not get accepted, is there a chance of getting accepted in the summer or once the acceptences are out its final? What about the people that decline the AFM offer? Are those spots replaced?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SkylarNoeL SkylarNoeL

@tgibbonsss wrote
What if I do not get accepted, is there a chance of getting accepted in the summer or once the acceptences are out its final? What about the people that decline the AFM offer? Are those spots replaced?

You have to make your choice of which OUAC university offer to accept by June 1. So no, there is no opportunity for a delayed offer or acceptance in the summer.

AFM will send out an estimate of the number of offers which it believes will result in it's goal of a class size of 300, with 85 in CA and 215 in B/F. Some say it's 500 offers, others 600, only AFM knows. Every university does this since not everyone who receives an offer will accept; most people apply to several universities and get several offers, but only accept one.

But once these offers go out on May 11, none will be retracted, nor will any be added. If it turns out 400 people accept, they will accommodate the extra 100 students that accepted the offer. If it turns out only 200 people accepted, then they will simply have a class that is of size 200; they will not send out additional offers to "fill in" the 100 missing spots. It seems unlikely that such a competitive program would actually have fewer than expected offer acceptances, anyway.

So cross your fingers and wait for May 11. All offers will be sent out on that day, so it's basically do or die. Good luck! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of WillyLuong WillyLuong
It does not look good for you at all.

Your marks aren't competitive enough, and judging solely on your English mark, your AFMAA was most likely not outstanding.

You may get an FM defferal though. Maybe.

Also, I've never heard of a competitive program like AFM taking in people in the summer, so you're probably out of luck there.

And universities ALWAYS give out more offers than spots. The chances that there aren't enough PA's that they need to send out more offers is slim.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AdJan AdJan
** AFM does wait list a small group of applicants (in prior years).
I knew two people who were last year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Would it of been better of me to have applied directly to the FM stream?
Was this helpful? Yes 0