yconic - What are my chances of getting into Waterloo?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

What are my chances of getting into Waterloo?

A photo of raccoonmoon raccoonmoon
Hi. I'm currently in Grade 11 and I was wondering, what are my chances of getting into Waterloo accounting and financial management or (Waterloo) biotech and chartered accountancy? What about University of Toronto Bioengineering/Biomedical engineering?

As of now, my marks are:

Planning: 99%
Pre-Calc: 77%
Physics: 80%
English: 90%
Socials: 91%
Biology: 97%
Chemistry: 95%
French: 92%

I am aware my Pre-Calc mark is rather low. However, I am positive that I can get it up to at least 86% by the end of the semester.

Next year, I am going to take Pre-Calc math, Calculus, Physics, Biology, Chemistry, Accounting, English, and French. If I take summer school or something and make some room for another course, I will also be taking Statistics AP.

My extra-curriculars are:

Piano, RCM Grade 10 with Honours
Concert Band, 3 years
Jazz Band, 2 years
Swimming, 10 years, Bronze Medallion & Bronze Cross certified
Curling team
Badminton team
Leadership club

Are my extracurriculars good enough? Also, how many volunteer/work hours will I need? So far, I only have 33 volunteer hours.

I will also be taking the Fermat exam this year and the Euclid exam the next.

Do you have any recommendations for me about how much I should boost my marks? Or just about preparing for these programs in general?

Thank you so much!!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of Nick0rz Nick0rz
AFM probably.

BioTech/CA has < 10 people in it. You need a 95% average atleast to get into it. Those people literally have no life outside of school. I wish you the best of luck.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
Do some more research on the programs available to you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
Your marks are fairly impressive (although that 77 is concerning).

As Nick0rz pointed out, it's nearly impossible to get into Biotech/CA. It has the unofficial title of the toughest program to get into out of high school in Canada. I wish you the best of luck as well, but I wouldn't be getting my hopes up. It's no shame to not get in.

As for AFM, it really depends on your AFMAA. You will have a much better shot at Business & Finance than CA, but there's no reason you can't get into either.

As for volunteer hours: quality over quantity. Merely stating you had 1000 volunteer hours does no good- you have to be able to give concrete examples of what you accomplished in those hours. If you solve world hunger in 50 hours it's better than some guy who helped at the soup kitchen for 500 hours.
Was this helpful? Yes 0