yconic - What are my chances of getting into Western BioMed?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

What are my chances of getting into Western BioMed?

A photo of stack444 stack444
I have an 80 average, on EINFO it says the grade range is 80%, does that mean i have a good chance? Ive read somewhere that the cutoff has been 85%, is that true?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
13 replies

A photo of Pharger Pharger
It depends whether or not the program is competitive. 80% doesn't necessarily mean that you should only meet their standards. Look at the BMOS program at UWO, it says that the grade range is 80%. HOWEVER, according to the admission officers this year, an acceptance is only possible to those who are able to have an 88% and above. There is no certainty that the info they provide you in EINFO is accurate because the admission ranges change every year due to the inevitable increase in the level of competition.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
Ehhh..
80% is VERY VERY borderline.
I don't think I've read/heard about anyone getting into a science program with only an 80 average.
I don't want to burst your bubble.
Most people would have an 86+ average going into a science program, I would think.
But you never know. I doubt you'll hear anything until late May if you're going to get admitted.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup

@stack444 wrote
I have an 80 average, on EINFO it says the grade range is 80%, does that mean i have a good chance? Ive read somewhere that the cutoff has been 85%, is that true?

Western Biomed does actually reject people in that range...To be safe you need to have a 88+ average based on my friends who got in...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

ya thats what i thought, thanks guys. im actually making this inquiry for a friend. i have received an offer of admission from the biomed program earlier this year. the program (as well as all other programs except music) require the conditional-offer recipient to have a minimum final average of 82% to keep the offer of admission. Do you think that is indicative of what the cutoff will be?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

^
If the condition is 82%, the admission cut off isn't going to be very low.
82 is actually the highest I've heard of from all the universities I've seen acceptances from so far.
Most require only in the mid to high 70s.. except U of T.. no one knows about U of T.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

^
For Mac LifeSci, my conditional offer of admission requires me to keep an 86%, which i thought was extremely high. especially when their admission range for the program is said to be mid to high 80s on einfo if i remember correctly
Was this helpful? Yes 0

^
Okay Mac is just another exception.
Their Health Sci is also ridiculously high too, probably.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
The cut-off is typically about 84-85%. I would be very surprised if you were accepted with an 80% top six average.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of safarhealthsci1 safarhealthsci1

@stack444 wrote
^
For Mac LifeSci, my conditional offer of admission requires me to keep an 86%, which i thought was extremely high. especially when their admission range for the program is said to be mid to high 80s on einfo if i remember correctly

This doesn't make any sense, a friend of mine got in with at 85.6%
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup
The acceptance cut-off could still be higher than the conditional acceptance cut-off...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
It seems unlikely that a person could get in with an 85.6% when most other students who were accepted need to keep at least an 86% average. The school would be accepting you under the condition that you raise your average from 85.6% to at least 86%. That's not usually how it works.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of safarhealthsci1 safarhealthsci1

@mynameismattgotmlgo wrote
It seems unlikely that a person could get in with an 85.6% when most other students who were accepted need to keep at least an 86% average. The school would be accepting you under the condition that you raise your average from 85.6% to at least 86%. That's not usually how it works.

I know what you mean..but my friend did get accepted with FINAL average top 6 of 85.6%. It is his fifth year. Also I went to mcmaster for the life sciences presentation and they said that the cut of for fall 2011 was 83-86%
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jessiexo jessiexo
Yeah... I don't think so :S The condition of an acceptance is that you get rejected if your average falls below 82%. Don't want to burst your bubble but for sciences a top 6 average includes English, 2 sciences, adv functions and calculus. So it pretty much proves how strong you are at those sciences/maths... if you can't easily get a good grade in high school, how are you going to survive university?
Was this helpful? Yes 0