yconic - What are my chances?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

What are my chances?

A photo of Atelophobia Atelophobia
I have an average of 80%

The average to getting into applied science at UBC is mid to high 80's. But the average for just Science at UBC is mid 80s to low 90s.
https://you.ubc.ca/ubc/counsellors/averages.ezc#3

However, UBC offers: "Students at the low end of this range may be invited to submit a personal profile to strengthen their application for Broad Based Admission." ---- I think this is only for the Science program though.
https://you.ubc.ca/ubc/vancouver/bba.ezc?pageID=1568

Does this only mean if I had an 85? Or is 80 OK?

Because I also have extra curricular's and am graduating from top university prep school in Canada if that helps

EC's: Cooking Club, Amnesty Club, 1st Girls Basketball, Part of a Magazine, Athletic Physiotherapy Activity

And what's the difference between science and science one?
https://you.ubc.ca/ubc/vancouver/bba.ezc?pageID=1568

Other schools on my list are:

UBC
McMaster
University of Queens
University of Western Ontario
Unviersity of Waterloo
University of Alberta
University of Ottawa

Thank you!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
20 replies

A photo of kkaski kkaski
I think you should just come to Western! It's on your list, it's a great school with a lot to offer and depending on where you're from its pretty central to a lot of things
Right now I'm in Physics and Earth Science at Western and it's an amazingly smart program with a lot of interesting things to learn about.
The admission average is also not the highest it's ever been, and that will benefit you
Figure out what you like and make your choice! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Ahhh but UBC's my dream school :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lisafedorchuk lisafedorchuk
If you're wanting to seriously consider UBC, despite your marks, I would say still apply. Make sure to do the extra writing portion to boost your possibility of getting accepted. The amount of people and their grades vary from year to year, and there may end of being a spot for you. Your mark isn't drastically below the standard so I say it's worth a shot. It's better to try before ruling it out as a possibility. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
if u of a is on your list.. apply asap hahah.. with an average of 80%.. you're pretty much set for early admission into science.. ^^

as for UBC.. i heard that the average cut off for this year is a minimum of 90%.. it's the highest average amongst all the faculties.. :X
but if it's your dream.. as it is a lot of people's from the west coast.. apply!
and MAKE SUREEE you do the supplemental (BBA)! with all the ECs you have.. even if they don't admit you based on your marks.. you may still be admitted based on your supplemental.. i know a few people who had averages barely up to par but still got in because they had some pretty good ECs and a good supplemental.

as for science one, it's a pretty competitive program, and it follows a more.. structured schedule, i guess.. your class sizes are much smaller so you get to know others a lot better and your profs a lot better too.. for science one.. deff need a high average haha
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cyynthiia wrote
if u of a is on your list.. apply asap hahah.. with an average of 80%.. you're pretty much set for early admission into science.. ^^

as for UBC.. i heard that the average cut off for this year is a minimum of 90%.. it's the highest average amongst all the faculties.. :X
but if it's your dream.. as it is a lot of people's from the west coast.. apply!
and MAKE SUREEE you do the supplemental (BBA)! with all the ECs you have.. even if they don't admit you based on your marks.. you may still be admitted based on your supplemental.. i know a few people who had averages barely up to par but still got in because they had some pretty good ECs and a good supplemental.

as for science one, it's a pretty competitive program, and it follows a more.. structured schedule, i guess.. your class sizes are much smaller so you get to know others a lot better and your profs a lot better too.. for science one.. deff need a high average haha

Yah I know it's super high so I'm worried. :/

Also, does it help if my dad is an alumni there? Because he did his PhD there.

And does the supplementary application include an essay?

And does UBC take your top 4 grade 12 courses (english, 1 science, math and the next subject with your highest mark) or top 6 including prerequisites?

Because I read both 4 and six on their website for science :S
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Atelophobia wrote
Yah I know it's super high so I'm worried. :/ But what if my dad studied there and became a t.a. should I add that in my supplementary? Or would that be a bad impression?

And does the supplementary application include an essay?

And does UBC take your top 4 grade 12 courses (english, 1 science, math and the next subject with your highest mark) or top 6 including prerequisites?

Because I read both 4 and six on their website for science :S

With regards to the supplementary, there won't be room to include that your dad studied there/became a TA. It's really irrelevant to you anyhow. Just because your dad studied there does not mean that you will too. You are not your dad.

But no, the supplementary doesn't include an "essay", per se.
There's a section that you can list your extracirricular activities, a section for awards/achievements, a section for 3 personal references..
And then there's a section that asks you two questions, and they require you to answer in a long paragraph kind of form.. about 500 words?

For science, UBC requires English, Math, a Science 12, and your next highest grade 12 mark that is credited as an "approved grade 12 course," they have a list on the youbc site of you're not sure whether it's "approved" or not.
West coast schools aren't like east coast schools, we don't require 6 courses for admission average calculation. :P

Wow, that was lengthy, hope it helped!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Okay thank you!

And does UBC only take the average of your term two marks?

Because people here are saying that:
http://forums.studentawards.com/yaf_postst22203_UBC-Science-chance.aspx

There's another thread about whether to report term 2 grades or term 1+2 average and we came to the conclusion that BC student report only term two grades.
(The topic starter confirmed it by sending an e-mail to UBC staff)

And I go to a university prep school so we have three terms instead of two. So would they only take my term two marks?

And does UofA also just take your math, 1 science, english and then your next highest mark as your overall average?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yeah i'm at a linear school too so we have 3 terms instead of two semesters.

I know UBC doesn't allow applicants to self-report grades until term 2, so they'll only look at your term 2 marks when offering admission, but at the end of the year when they receive your transcript, they'll look at your term 3 marks to calculate your final average.. but you only need to keep a certain percentage to still qualify for your offer of admission, not too sure what it is though.

As for U of A, I do believe they require 5 marks.. English 12, Math 12.. 2 science 12 courses.. or 1 science and (AP) calculus 12.. and then there's a 5th.. either another science.. or history 12, or a language 12.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Qq Qq

@cyynthiia wrote
Yeah i'm at a linear school too so we have 3 terms instead of two semesters.

I know UBC doesn't allow applicants to self-report grades until term 2, so they'll only look at your term 2 marks when offering admission, but at the end of the year when they receive your transcript, they'll look at your term 3 marks to calculate your final average.. but you only need to keep a certain percentage to still qualify for your offer of admission, not too sure what it is though.

As for U of A, I do believe they require 5 marks.. English 12, Math 12.. 2 science 12 courses.. or 1 science and (AP) calculus 12.. and then there's a 5th.. either another science.. or history 12, or a language 12.

You still sicken me, I must let you know that once per day
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Qq wrote
You still sicken me, I must let you know that once per day

And you, my friend, make me jump from joy.
At least I know that for one second, I've crossed your mind every day when you let me know that you hate me once a day.
:cheers:
I despise you, too, don't worry.
At least we'll never cross paths.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

You need calculous to apply to UofA?!
AHHHHH :/ Because I only took one math: advanced functions.

These are my courses:

English
Chemistry
Biology
Exercise Science
Philosophy
Advanced Functions
Was this helpful? Yes 0

These are my courses:

English
Chemistry
Biology
Exercise Science
Philosophy
Advanced Functions
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Ahaha re-read what I wrote more clearly..
I said either 2 science 12 courses OR 1 science 12 and calculus 12..
so you would be okay.. with bio and chem.
I don't think you can use philosophy.. let met just check..
Nope, can't use philosophy.
and I have NOOOO clue what Exercise Science is, what on Earth is that?!
Don't think that can be used either...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cyynthiia wrote

and I have NOOOO clue what Exercise Science is, what on Earth is that?!
Don't think that can be used either...

Lol exercise science is basically a kinesiology course, you just study about bones, muscles, stuff like that.

And thank god those are the requirements for uofa, I apply today
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Ohhh okay, that actually doesn't sound too bad.. wish we had that course here.
Good luck with your applications!
Make sure you have all your pre-reqs.. 'cause from the list that you wrote in an earlier post..
you have..
eng, bio, chem, math, but you still need one more course.
:bball:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cyynthiia wrote
Ohhh okay, that actually doesn't sound too bad.. wish we had that course here.
Good luck with your applications!
Make sure you have all your pre-reqs.. 'cause from the list that you wrote in an earlier post..
you have..
eng, bio, chem, math, but you still need one more course.
:bball:

:| The only other grade 12 courses I have are philosophy and exercise science :S

Is that a problem? Lol

and what other schools should I apply to as backups that are relatively well-known/respected?
What about university of calgary? It's in the G13 and is a top school in the world :P

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ashleymacedo ashleymacedo
It depends on how many people apply to the program, if theres more applications than the amount of spots they have, they'll obviously choose the highest marks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jyu123 jyu123

@Atelophobia wrote

These are my courses:

English
Chemistry
Biology
Exercise Science
Philosophy
Advanced Functions

I think it depends on which program you are applying to. Most programs at U of A do not need Calculus, only Math 30.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of megans35 megans35
WIth an 80 average I would probably fill in a supplemental application, especially if your looking to get early admission ( hear from them before May)
It seems like you have strong extra curricular activities, which is awesome=) I think it would definitely benefit you to tell UBC that, as they do actually pay attention to your supplemental should you choose to submit it.

Last years science admission average was a 90.

I'm currently in their science program and chose to opt out of science one. Last july they sent letters to everyone that they pre-approved for science one and you just selected a special schedule on registration day. I have friends in the Arts one program who absolutely love it because it makes it easier to get to know your peers. Thats definitely a plus if your not from vancouver.

Hope that helps=)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Hug Hug
i wish u the best luck but dont apply for applied science because u are not taking physics right now
Was this helpful? Yes 0