yconic - What are my chances...
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

What are my chances...

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I would like to apply to Ryerson for computer science. Thing is, I really f'ed up this year and my grades are not competetive at all. In fact, my Gr 12 english is in the 60's. =( I know, but I just despise creative writing =(

The prerequisites for Computer Sci is:
English/Anglais (ENG4U/EAE4U preferred)
Advanced Functions (MHF4U)
One of: Physics (SPH4U), Chemistry (SCH4U), Biology (SBI4U)
One of: Calculus and Vectors (MCV4U) or Mathematics of Data Management (MDM4U)

Here are my marks:

Physics: 77
Chemistry: 79
Advanced Functions: 85
Calculus and Vectors: 84
English: 64!

I cannot retake english in night school or sumemr school, so my only option is to apply with my current grades. My question is, what are my chances for getting in? I know universities take your top 6 grades (which i'm guessing my average would be around 80% for all 6), but including your prerequisites. I'm scared they might look at my english mark and decline :/
Was this helpful? Yes 0
2 replies

A photo of veemath veemath
I think you'll be fine! Your prerequisite marks are good so they'll definatly focus more on those than your English mark. Though if there is an English mark that you haves to obtain in order to get into the program you might have a problem. But work really hard on exams, especially your English to try to raise your total average. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ohseedee Ohseedee
I copied and pasted this from the Ryerson admissions page:

Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent with a minimum of six Grade 12 U or M courses including the following program specific requirements (a minimum overall average of 70% establishes eligibility for admission consideration; subject to competition individual programs may require higher pre-requisite grades and/or higher overall averages):

English/Anglais (ENG4U/EAE4U preferred)
Advanced Functions (MHF4U)
One of: Physics (SPH4U), Chemistry (SCH4U), Biology (SBI4U)
One of: Calculus and Vectors (MCV4U) or Mathematics of Data Management (MDM4U)

The minimum grade(s) required in the subject prerequisites (normally in the 65-70% range) will be determined subject to competition.

So it seems like if your overall average is above 70, then you should be OK. However, there is the mentioning of a minimum 65-70% average in the prerequisites. My take on it? Work your butt off on English until it's over, regardless of whether or not you like the subject, to make sure you'll get in.
Was this helpful? Yes 0