yconic - What are some engineering programs if I want a career at a tech giant (ex. Microsoft, Apple)
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

What are some engineering programs if I want a career at a tech giant (ex. Microsoft, Apple)

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Software Engineering at Waterloo or just software engineering in general :/
Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

A photo of rohitsv rohitsv
Software Engineering at Waterloo or just software engineering in general :/
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
System Design Engineering
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
Software Engineering and Systems Design Engineering would be a lot better than Computer Engineering for what you're looking for.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@mathisfun123 wrote
Sadly I did not take ICS3U last year. Would this be a hindrance to Waterloo Software Engineer admission? :pale:

Yes it will since they look for programming experience/projects if I'm not mistaken. You can still apply and if you have good marks may still be accepted.

But yeah, apply to Systems Design and Software Engineering as well as Computer Science if you're looking for big companies like Google, etc. Computer Engineering is more about hardware than the mentioned programs and not about programming although it does still contain some.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ninetyfour ninetyfour
Those are my career goals as well, I applied to the same programs being discussed above, at Waterloo. :)

vvv
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ninetyfour wrote
Those are my career goals as well, I applied to the same programs being discussed above, at Waterloo. :)

vvv

I thought UW only allowed 1 Engineering application per person? Did you mean you put SYDE as an alternate to your Software Engineering?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango
You get 1 Eng application, and you get 2 alternatives that you put on your AIF.
Definitely SoftEng should be your first choice if you want to work with a big tech giant. SyDe and Mechatronics are also good choices if you don't want to learn software development through your studies, but you still want to apply to software companies. CompEng also takes a lot of the programming jobs too.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ninetyfour ninetyfour

@immaculatedx wrote

@ninetyfour wrote

vvv

I thought UW only allowed 1 Engineering application per person? Did you mean you put SYDE as an alternate to your Software Engineering?

Yeah, they're my alternatives, my main app is for Software. I wouldn't mind SYDE either though, but I hardly think that I would get accepted to SYDE if I was rejected from SE...
Was this helpful? Yes 0