yconic - What are some good backup schools?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

What are some good backup schools?

A photo of Tantrum Tantrum
I have a 93 top-8 grade 11 average with a few EC's (like 2-3 activities that I commit at least 2 hours per week).

I am afraid I won't get accepted into any good universities and it scares the hell out of me. I want to go into accounting but all the schools are so competitive. I went my entire grade 11 year thinking I could get into university but now I am not so sure.

Should I even bother applying to schools like Schulich/Waterloo-AFMPA(dream schools).
What are some backup schools I should consider.

Was this helpful? Yes 0
15 replies

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
Yes, apply to Schulich and Waterloo AFM-PA, if you keep up your marks you shouldn;t have too much trouble getting into both programs.

Generally, the most sought after business/accounting related programs are Ivey, Schulich, Queens, Rotman, Waterloo AFM, Laurier BBA in no particular order.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
As long as you are prepared to work hard this coming year, getting into programs such as Waterloo AFM and Schulich BBA is definitely attainable. You had a 93 Grade 11 average, which shows you have had success and have potential. If your ECs include a leadership position that would help, but still 2-3 ECs with a few hours dedication a week isn't bad. There may be room for improvement, but in no way are you a long shot for top programs. Definitely apply- the worst thing that could happen is you applying to all "backup" schools, overacheiving, and having to settle for a backup school while knowing you could be in Waterloo/Schulich.

Also consider:

Queen's Commerce: another top school, arguably as good as Waterloo/Schulich for accounting (maybe not) but the strongest b-school of the one mentioned in this post (for accounting I would put it below Waterloo and Schulich)

Laurier BBA: if you can get co-op, it is arguably a top-tier accounting program. I really like the school. Easier to get into (high 80s average)

Brock BAcc: another accounting-only program, and has co-op. Might not be quite as good, but is fairly easy to get into and a "good backup" according to many

Also consider UTM, UTSC, and McMater. Rotman and Ivey are excellent programs too but are more money and harder to get into, only apply if they really interest you. Rotman isn't everyones thing, and Ivey is quite expensive for what you will get accounting-wise. Hence why they sit down here.

Look at all factors: cost, social life, atmosphere, campus size, city, class size, rez, whatever.

I hope this helps :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of QCman QCman
g93, i want to know how you came to the conclusion that schulich and waterloo are the best for accounting, and more specifically, why they are better than Queens, or any school for that matter? Queens gets all the recruiters, has good placement, and one of the highest UFE pass rate of any school. I can understand if you said, the other 2 are better value if you want to go into accounting, or if you say that waterloo allows you to complete all your credits in school, but why would it be a better school to go into accounting?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@QCman wrote
g93, i want to know how you came to the conclusion that schulich and waterloo are the best for accounting, and more specifically, why they are better than Queens, or any school for that matter? Queens gets all the recruiters, has good placement, and one of the highest UFE pass rate of any school. I can understand if you said, the other 2 are better value if you want to go into accounting, or if you say that waterloo allows you to complete all your credits in school, but why would it be a better school to go into accounting?

Waterloo has co-op. 35% of AFM-PA students get Big 4 jobs, and roughly 75% get CATO jobs. These number are unrivaled. Being able to work for brand name companies 3 different times during the the busiest part of the year in the accounting world plus one extra time (in the second most busiest 1/3 of the year) is a great opportunity. Plenty of networking opportunities, lots of help sessions, etc. There is a great opportunity to complete the MAcc program (direct entry) and you have an opportunity to specialize, and are able to skip the CKE and SOA. The Accounting and Finance Student Association is a great organization that is a reputable organization, as demonstrated by its list of sponsors. All in all a great program.

Schulich has a great reputation and a great career centre. Many student are able to get excellent jobs. You can complete your designation in 4 years. If you really want to read more about Schulich, read one of MINTOK's long posts or just ask him. He can tell you the reasons better than I can (he seems pretty good at listing them off).

UFE training is done by the employer.

I have looked at the resumes of Queen's students posted online. They are, let's just say... less than stellar. I have been told by Queen's students that most people aren't able to get accounting placements until third year.

Personally I would say Waterloo and Schulich are the two best, and then I would put Queen's next.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of QCman QCman
See, i get why Waterloo is a great choice, but i dont see schulich being as good. It is one of best choices, it is great value but im not seeing it as the same level as waterloo. I think any school that provides a co-op and focus on accounting is a great choice if you want to go into accounting
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@QCman wrote
See, i get why Waterloo is a great choice, but i dont see schulich being as good. It is one of best choices, it is great value but im not seeing it as the same level as waterloo. I think any school that provides a co-op and focus on accounting is a great choice if you want to go into accounting

Perhaps it is because I did less research on it. I did more research on Queen's because I considered going there more- I didn't want to go near the York campus. Exposed more of the faults I guess, where as for Schulich everything still seems perfect.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK

@QCman wrote

Schulich offers a great value: one of the best business program for half the price of most other programs. Last time this info was released, Schulich students were enjoying the highest UFE passing rate which was only matched by Queen's. Schulich doesn't have co-op, but it has one of the best Career Development Centers in North America. I haven't even started school yet, but I already went to a bunch of workshops and networking events from the center and met a lot of people from the accounting industry whom I am staying in touch with. Internships easily replace co-op over the 4 years, but skills Schulich students gain from CDC stay with them forever. ;) There are a lot of other competitive advantages which are unique to Schulich, but the thread is not about that.

Tantrum, everyone gets anxiety, so you're not alone. My average in grade 11 was 63% and no ECs. I had to work a lot on myself in grade 12, but I did it. You're in a much better position than I was and I am sure you get into all of the schools you will apply. Make sure to visit all campuses and talk to students in your program. Those are going to be the people who will surround you for 4 years (or 5 if you chose Waterloo). Make sure you like them. :)

For back-up, consider Brock, McMaster and UTM. ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of QCman QCman
Its those unique advantanges that i want to hear about, most of the things you mentioned, apart from schulichs great tuition costs, are things you can get else where. Im going to be honest, i dont know much about schulich as i didnt finish applying and had no intent of going, and i dont even want to go into accounting, im asking these questions for my own curiosity plus having actual reasons apart from most peoples arbitrary rankings makes the forums much more valuable for others.

On a completely unrelated note, do you still work at hugo boss and will you give me a great discount :p
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cliffhanger33 cliffhanger33

@QCman wrote

On a completely unrelated note, do you still work at hugo boss and will you give me a great discount :p

+1

How much are Boss green label track pants with your staff discount :compress:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK

@QCman wrote
Its those unique advantanges that i want to hear about, most of the things you mentioned, apart from schulichs great tuition costs, are things you can get else where. Im going to be honest, i dont know much about schulich as i didnt finish applying and had no intent of going, and i dont even want to go into accounting, im asking these questions for my own curiosity plus having actual reasons apart from most peoples arbitrary rankings makes the forums much more valuable for others.

Haha I do work there and I will PM you. ;)

Aside from other great things top business schools offer (alumni, jobs, etc), here are some of the main advantages, which are unique to Schulich, I was considering when I applied.

Location. Schulich is in Toronto. Staying in the business center of Canada allows students to network more with professionals, work at decent, non-campus jobs while they study, and be able to take summer school & intern at professional firms. In addition to low tuition costs, a lot of people can save on residence by staying off campus and easily commuting to school via TTC, especially once the subways station opens up at York.

CDC. Other school have their own Career Center, but CDC @ Schulich is known to be one of the best in North America. It employs very big staff with good experience in every industry. Aside from workshops and advice career counselors provide, CDC employees throw amazing and frequent recruitment & networking events and I am sure I don't need to explain the power of networking to someone from Queen's. ;)

Global perspective. The way business is conducted is rapidly changing, as more and more companies become international. So far, Schulich is the only school in Canada which offers a truly global perspective to its studies. I am not even talking about the iBBA program. Regular BBA is integrated with great global outlook. I think this is going to be a great edge to have, especially by the time we graduate from university. ;)

Extra small class sizes. Many of the top schools offer small class sizes. In Schulich they are extra small. :D Even in the 1st year, average class size is less than 50 students per class. Additionally, the classes itself are very small. 100 students in iBBA and 280 in BBA. This allows to form very close bonds with students in the program and venture out into our lives with each other's support. :)

Royal Treatment. This is a weird one. Basically, Schulich students are treated super well at York. We have our own super cool building. Our own lockers. Our own executive dining restaurant. Our own gift shop. Our own super awesome library. I have a list of 16 people (Schulich staff) I can call or email if I have any questions about my program, time table, career, etc. The parking is next to the Schulich building and is connected inside. We even have our own financial office, so we don't have to wait in line with the other 50ish thousand students from other programs at York if we have a questions about OSAP.

Student body. When I applied, I didn't have this point on my list. I thought my fellow students are either going to be snobby or nerdy. However, I've already met with most people from the class of 2015 through numerous dinners, lunches, BBQs and other hangouts. Thee get-togethers were not organized by the school, but by students themselves (including me ). Everyone turned out to be super fantastic and I cannot wait to study with these people, win case competitions with them and build our careers in the future. Attached is a picture of our awesome student body from a recent hangout:

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK

@cliffhanger33 wrote

@QCman wrote

+1

Practically free :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cliffhanger33 cliffhanger33

@MINTOK wrote

@cliffhanger33 wrote

@QCman wrote

+1

Seriously? hook me up dude ;):cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@cliffhanger33 wrote

@MINTOK wrote

@cliffhanger33 wrote

@QCman wrote

+1

Seriously? hook me up dude ;):cheers:

Jealousy is hitting me hard ;p

To the OP, with your grades the top schools are all within reach if you can keep up those and good EC's. I'd apply to: McGill, Schulich, Waterloo, Queen's, Ivey, Laurier (good school, great back-up) and UofT if you feel like it lol.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Tantrum Tantrum
I never got to read this until today, thank you very much for the responses :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of onlymatthew onlymatthew
Western is a great back up school. There are enough people here that got rejected from their top school that everyone pretty much pretends that Western was their first choice all along. Western's irrational sense of school spirit will wipe away that cognitive dissonance and make you forget how little you cared about Western before hand. There are enough keeners here that make you feel better about coming here, but enough slackers you don't lose that superficial feeling of self-importance. In terms of business, it's pretty well rounded overall, so you have flexibility in what you want to do. Its strength may not be accounting, but it's perfectly adequate if you want to sell your soul and become a CA.

It's not particularly difficult to get into, and with a 93 and decent EC's, you're pretty much guaranteed a spot as an AEO. Also, how can you be so blind (or so desperately seeking an ego boost) to think that you wouldn't get into university? If people like you didn't get into university, our society would likely revert back to a hunter-gatherer based economy.
Was this helpful? Yes 0