yconic - What are the chances of getting into university if you upgrade?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

What are the chances of getting into university if you upgrade?

A photo of blockblock455 blockblock455

@blockblock455 wrote
I'm planning on upgrading a few courses but wondering what the impact is for, for instance University of Toronto, and the University of Waterloo?

By "upgrade" do you mean retake? Unless there were exceptional circumstances during your first attempt at the course, UT and UW frown upon retaking courses and it will not help your chances. Email/Phone both admissions offices with your exact circumstances and they can tell you if retaking the courses is worth your time.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of plato plato

@blockblock455 wrote
I'm planning on upgrading a few courses but wondering what the impact is for, for instance University of Toronto, and the University of Waterloo?

By "upgrade" do you mean retake? Unless there were exceptional circumstances during your first attempt at the course, UT and UW frown upon retaking courses and it will not help your chances. Email/Phone both admissions offices with your exact circumstances and they can tell you if retaking the courses is worth your time.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of KidA KidA
I'm certain that UofT only considers the first attempt at a course. It is even stated somewhere on their website. Sorry.

Do you count repeated grades?

While we do not discourage applicants from repeating courses, it is the policy of the University of Toronto Engineering Admissions Committee to consider only first attempt marks. The Admissions Committee in general does not consider repeated course marks.

http://www.discover.engineering.utoronto.ca/admissions/questions.htm#IP54
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of krankd krankd
If by upgrading you mean retaking the course, read what the people above wrote.
But if by upgrading you mean going back to school to take some required courses that you didn't take in high school before; I think they allow that. You may have to write to them to tell them why you're applying later than normal; or why you didn't take it when you were in high school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of blockblock455 blockblock455
What do you mean by exceptional circumstances?

Have people who upgraded ever gotten accepted?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of KidA KidA
Most likely the circumstances are if you had medical problems that made you miss many classes, thus affecting your performances.
Was this helpful? Yes 0