yconic - What are the qualities of your favourite teacher?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

What are the qualities of your favourite teacher?

A photo of brady23 brady23
My chemistry teacher was the best. She had so much passion for chemistry, which bored me in grade 11, and made it so much more interesting in grade 12.

That was one of the most important factors for my motivation to succeed in chemistry, and I was never bored in that class.

She also is one of the few science teachers who has EMPATHY for her students. When I came in 20 minutes late for a test because my car wasn't starting, she gave me extra time for her test, and I know if I had a different teacher, that would never happen.

I think those are the two most important qualities of a teacher - passion and empathy.

I wish I had more teachers like her. I'm really going to miss her in university because I know I likely will never have a professor who will make chemistry that interesting.

What teacher has made a difference or important impact on you?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
2 replies

A photo of Cr?meGlac Cr?meGlac
I have had so many wonderful teachers :) They were all very different in terms of teaching style and personality but impacted me in their own way.
Qualities I think are important: dedication, empathy... oh and a sense of humour! But definitely, the most important quality is passion. Teachers who love what they do and teach and care about their students.

I've had teachers who were tough, even teachers who would scold/lecture the class often but it was so obvious that they really cared... They weren't being tough to be mean, and though marks might have been low, they did NOT let us fail, because we were so well prepared.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nalrad Nalrad

@brady23 wrote
My chemistry teacher was the best. She had so much passion for chemistry, which bored me in grade 11, and made it so much more interesting in grade 12.

That was one of the most important factors for my motivation to succeed in chemistry, and I was never bored in that class.

She also is one of the few science teachers who has EMPATHY for her students. When I came in 20 minutes late for a test because my car wasn't starting, she gave me extra time for her test, and I know if I had a different teacher, that would never happen.

I think those are the two most important qualities of a teacher - passion and empathy.

I wish I had more teachers like her. I'm really going to miss her in university because I know I likely will never have a professor who will make chemistry that interesting.

What teacher has made a difference or important impact on you?

I hate it when teachers don't have any empathy regardless of the circumstances so I totally agree with you there.

Anyway, for me, the best qualities for a teacher is fairness and passion.

My Grade 12 English teacher (who I will be saying goodbye to soon since I have her this semester and my exam is on Monday) is the first teacher who comes to my mind when I think of this. Everyone agrees that she is a hard marker. Barely anyone is getting above 80 in her class, but no one's complaining because she's passionate, does show empathy, and is very fair and justified in her marking. She doesn't have favourite students and clearly loves all the books she's teaching.

No other examples really come to mind though. My Grade 11 Bio teacher comes close since she was very empathetic and fair but she didn't seem too involved in what she was teaching.

Was this helpful? Yes 0