yconic - What are you going into?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

What are you going into?

A photo of waazup waazup
Accounting? - which type, chartered I'm guessing?

Finance? - what in finance

Consulting - which type

Retails, Commerce, entrepreneurship, etc.?

I am just wondering what all you smart minds want to be. I mean all the people come on here with 90+ averages. What do you want to do and where would you like to work, at least for the first decade after graduation?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
45 replies

A photo of g93 g93
Accounting- I want to become a CA

I like business and accounting, and I think a CA opens many doors. You can do public accounting, you can work in industry, you can even go into finance, and there is also forensic accounting. Plus once you have the designation you are making pretty good money at the minimum. And within all of the things I named, there's many things you can do (i.e public you can do taxes, auditing, work with real estate, tons of choices)

I want to get into public practice (at least that's the plan right now, we'll see how it goes). Possibly work my way up in a company.

Someday I think me and a couple of my friends may start our own company, combining our uber-awesome skills to create the world's largest conglomerate ever :bounce:

And with a CA, I can always fall back to just say a public accounting firm in a small city, work regular hours, little stress, and comfortably make 100k+
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Alexkesz Alexkesz
Finance- something in the IB division, maybe not specifically IB analyst but something in the division. Sales and trading (especially prop trading), ECM/DCM or analyst. eventually I want to do my MBA and hopefully one day run my own hedge fund
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of IanSharer IanSharer

@Alexkesz wrote
Finance- something in the IB division, maybe not specifically IB analyst but something in the division. Sales and trading (especially prop trading), ECM/DCM or analyst. eventually I want to do my MBA and hopefully one day run my own hedge fund

You've basically described one of my potential career paths. I may replace hedge fund with consulting after completing my MBA, though.

I've also contemplated Accounting, but I think it'll be too boring for me. I want to work somewhere so that I'm continuously learning in an interesting environment, and public accounting is anything but that. However, I'm not giving up the idea of getting my CA if the analyst/trading dream doesn't come true.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Chara Chara
Anyone that thinks they know the exact field they are going into after graduation is very naive and misguided.
It's good to plan ahead though, dream away!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup
I swear I wanted to become a CA but now,
I just think CA is just too "ughh".
I mean people from Ryerson and other schools (that get in with low 80s from high school) do accounting, and become CA's.
Whereas people that graduate from Queen's, Ivey, Schulich (that get in with 90s, mid-high 90s) that get require much more effort and still get the same jobs and become a CA.

Is it really how I see it, or do the Ivey/queens/schulich accountant/CA's get an advantage over the others?

You also reach the 100k mark after 7-8 years!! Man..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@waazup wrote

Go to an all business program, and than you give yourself options. You can learn more about the CA and accounting profession, can learn more about other professions, and then you have moer time to make your decision.

@waazup wrote

I mean people from Ryerson and other schools (that get in with low 80s from high school) do accounting, and become CA's.
Whereas people that graduate from Queen's, Ivey, Schulich (that get in with 90s, mid-high 90s) that get require much more effort and still get the same jobs and become a CA.

Is it really how I see it, or do the Ivey/queens/schulich accountant/CA's get an advantage over the others?

Yes, you can become a CA from anywhere (as long as they have the required courses)

But there are a few reasons why Waterloo/Queen's/Schulich/Laurier/Rotman/Ivey grads get better jobs, in general (no particular order btw, and Brock and UTSC are also good)

1) These schools will have stronger students. Look at the entering averages. These people are competitive and driven.

2) Recruiting: the Big 4 isn't going to recruit from Nipissing.

3) Program: the programs that are institute-accredited are all tremendous programs for preparing you for becoming a CA.

4) UFE: the top schools have some of the best pass rates. You're going to find it much easier than if you go to Algoma or a college.

5) Name: while the name doesn't play a huge factor, it is still there. From speaking with some CAs who hire, it's not a big thing but if you're at a hard program like UofT, institute-accredited and known for producing good accounting talent, they are going to take note of that (and versus a guy at Ryerson). This does not mean that the guy at UofT gets the job because he's at UofT, but you get the point.

Just a few points off the top of my head.

@waazup wrote

Not bad, eh? Some reach it well before that too.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Dyztopia Dyztopia
Hopefully S&T
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@waazup wrote

Don't limit yourself. Set your goals high.

So many people in my business related classes want to become CA's, not because they have some underlying passion for accounting, but rather because they think they aren't fit for some of the more prestigious roles (banking, trading, consulting, etc...) and because they think it's an easy path to a six digit salary. Is accounting something you really want to do? Can you see yourself (at least for the 30 month requirement) working in a public accounting firm, putting in long hours of relatively boring work? What really interests you?

Also, as much as the ICAO promote themselves as the best of the best, CAs that aren't driven aren't going to become successful. There is an ever growing amount of new CAs and the gap between them and the other accounting designations is slowly closing (CGA's being able to sign off audits, etc...). The real money is using your CA title in the same token as getting your MBA: an employer attraction, something that allows you to gain valuable knowledge and experience. Don't make a CA designation your goal, rather a stepping stone to a much bigger picture.

...Too much Studentawardsing, I sound like some kind of motivational speaker.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup

@g93 wrote

@waazup wrote

Not bad, eh? Some reach it well before that too.

No, I meant it as in that is too long. Freaking engineers make that much earlier from what I hear...

Plus, to reiterate on your other points, the recruitment was the only "plus" I thought of when thinking about the better school. The other points you mentioned are just who is better prepared for the job. Once you pass, you pass. You do the same job - it's all performance and judgement by your employer now. I am pretty sure someone who got in with mid 80s in high school, got out with accounting + CA has the ability to do the same and earn just as much as a person who got into schulich with mid 90s in high school, out with accounting and got his CA designation. Sure, the schulich student might be smarter and better prepared but your knowledge wont be tested everyday on the job - it becomes WORK, which by practice, the other student can do just as well.

Do you agree with me? Please correct me if I'm wrong. The only thing that's holding me back is the freaking 45k salary of the starting accountant, like almost every university in canada, no matter how easy it is to get into, has that sort of opportunity. I am not saying I am superior, but getting into the top business schools in canada is HARD work, and pays off the same as others? This is only regards to accounting. These top schools definitely dominate the finance sector of recruitment which I am considering.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@waazup wrote
No, I meant it as in that is too long. Freaking engineers make that much earlier from what I hear...

Plus, to reiterate on your other points, the recruitment was the only "plus" I thought of when thinking about the better school. The other points you mentioned are just who is better prepared for the job. Once you pass, you pass. You do the same job - it's all performance and judgement by your employer now. I am pretty sure someone who got in with mid 80s in high school, got out with accounting + CA has the ability to do the same and earn just as much as a person who got into schulich with mid 90s in high school, out with accounting and got his CA designation. Sure, the schulich student might be smarter and better prepared but your knowledge wont be tested everyday on the job - it becomes WORK, which by practice, the other student can do just as well.

Do you agree with me? Please correct me if I'm wrong. The only thing that's holding me back is the freaking 45k salary of the starting accountant, like almost every university in canada, no matter how easy it is to get into, has that sort of opportunity. I am not saying I am superior, but getting into the top business schools in canada is HARD work, and pays off the same as others? This is only regards to accounting. These top schools definitely dominate the finance sector of recruitment which I am considering.

The problem is you're viewing University as a job finder. The purpose of a good school isn't for employers to come hand you a job, it's for you to evolve as a person. Do you honestly think you'll make anywhere near 100k if you view work as "work"? You have to have new ideas, be enthusiastic and have a good business acumen to make money. The people earning six digit salaries aren't those who stick to audits for 10 years, it's for those you start off in auditing, learning more and more about the industry and moving on to managerial positions. You have to be an innovator, not a follower. You can't expect to stop learning after your 4 years in University or you're going to end up not even making the 70k average starting pay of a CA. Hopefully your lack of ambition is due to you still being in grade 11...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup
True. I'm overthinking it.

The only concern was that I blocked off my ways into science and computers.

science - i don't like anyway, so thats alright

computer/software - i am okay with it, never taken programming but have done a bit. this was a possibility but i didn't take any physics, chem or programming course. i only took computer engineering in grade 11.

so yeah well I don't think i made a mistake but looking back at it, this was possible.
if i want to make the switch it would require a lot of work (summer school, night school) and would probably affect my average by a significant amount. but I am 99.9% sure I won't do that.

With all regards, business is my field. There is no point in worrying about it as I will decide what to do in 3rd year. Thanks for your time bro.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
I won't really reply, because IanSharer pretty much already said everything. Very good points.

Just to reiterate, you are going to have to work hard to acheive success in any field. This includes CAs and enginners.

As IanSharer said, use the CA designation as a stepping stone. It's not like "oh, I have my CA, I'm set. 100k easy".

I intend to use my CA to become an executive in a company (a goal) or maybe to use my knowledge to start my own company.

If it is your goal to work in public practice helping out small business clients, then use your CA to get there. I know a CA who does exactly this and he loves his job. He has worked hard to get where he wants to be and makes excelelnt money. He likes being able to help small businesses run more effectively. Pretty much 40 hours a week which is good with a family (although more in tax season, less in summer).

And the point of going to a school is to prepare yourself to reach your goals, to be the best. I did not think Ryerson would do this for me, so I chose Waterloo and Laurier for this.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup
^ Did you apply to Ivey, schulich or Queen's?

I swear I read somewhere you had a 94 average and amazing EC's
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of gassergasser gassergasser
Accounting- CMA, CA, or CGA(Preferably CMA) Why? I like the idea of not just auditing, but managing the money of a company or client. The weird thing is that I never knew I liked business until recently. I've always had an interest in business, I just never acknowledged it. I also know people in the business world(My step-brother owns a food equipment company, my step-uncle is an investment banker, my sister also owns her own company...) I am aware I don't get as high averages as some people(Thats why I'm not applying to Queens, Ivey, UofT, Laurier etc....) But that's just the way I currently am...hopefully I will get a higher average in grade 12....

Wazzup, you sound like me; A confused grade 11. I had been juggling careers too. At first I thought I wanted to be a teacher, but the job market sucks these days, the pay isn't great, and I feel I won't make a memorable teacher. But now I want to be an accountant and I now feel this is what I want to do and I'm really interested in learning more about business and how to manage money.

If you have a passion for business and wish to work with money and audits, then a CA is probably a good idea.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@waazup wrote

No, I did not apply to either of those.

Ivey I don't like the 2+2 and it's not as dominant in accounting, plus I'd have to pay for rez
Queen's I considered but I'd have to pay rez
Schulich I'd have to pay rez and I hate their campus

And Waterloo and Laurier I really liked, so I felt no need to apply to the others.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote

@waazup wrote

Ivey I don't like the 2+2 and it's not as dominant in accounting, plus I'd have to pay for rez

And Waterloo and Laurier I really liked, so I felt no need to apply to the others.

Unless you're literally 10 minutes away from Laurier/Waterloo, residence (at least for 1st year) is still a great choice. You won't be able to fully take advantage of all the great resources your school can offer (conferences, networking events, extracurriculars, etc...) if you have to worry about commuting. I also think it's easier to develop soft skills (if you're generally a shy/quiet person) if you're forced out of your comfort zone.

I live like 20 minutes away from UTSC and York but still plan on living in residence as I doubt the extra few thousand (depending on how long I decide to stay there) will mean much to me in the long run, and I could potentially meet people with great contacts, meet future managers/partners, and finally - and most importantly for me - break out of my comfort zone.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@IanSharer wrote

@g93 wrote

@waazup wrote

Unless you're literally 10 minutes away from Laurier/Waterloo, residence (at least for 1st year) is still a great choice. You won't be able to fully take advantage of all the great resources your school can offer (conferences, networking events, extracurriculars, etc...) if you have to worry about commuting. I also think it's easier to develop soft skills (if you're generally a shy/quiet person) if you're forced out of your comfort zone.

I live like 20 minutes away from UTSC and York but still plan on living in residence as I doubt the extra few thousand (depending on how long I decide to stay there) will mean much to me in the long run, and I could potentially meet people with great contacts, meet future managers/partners, and finally - and most importantly for me - break out of my comfort zone.

I am really close.

And it'll be easier for other obligations.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Thatguy Thatguy
DUDE. I'm going into the profession of being AWESOME. Which I intend to completely rule. Like dude... you don't understand. I will get my degree in BTAM (Baeatcschloer of Total Awesomeness Management) to be come the most mildly epic person EVEEERRR.

It's okay dudes, its normal to feel a insecure when talking to a bro with such high entilligence.

Peace out, and keep it real man!:batman:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Thatguy wrote
DUDE. I'm going into the profession of being AWESOME. Which I intend to completely rule. Like dude... you don't understand. I will get my degree in BTAM (Baeatcschloer of Total Awesomeness Management) to be come the most mildly epic person EVEEERRR.

It's okay dudes, its normal to feel a insecure when talking to a bro with such high entilligence.

Peace out, and keep it real man!:batman:

... and in other news, water supplies in some municipalities in south western Ontario were found to be tainted with LSD.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LampShade LampShade

@Chara wrote
Anyone that thinks they know the exact field they are going into after graduation is very naive and misguided.
It's good to plan ahead though, dream away!

+11111111
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mikey12y mikey12y
I just don't want to write the uniform exam x.x
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@mikey12y wrote

I hope you're a CA student who has passed the CKE and SOA and is now worrying about the UFE so you can get a bonus at your company and not a high schooler who doesn't even know what CA's do and just want to become one because you think you'll make a six digit salary.

Long sentence is warranted.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@IanSharer wrote

@mikey12y wrote

I hope you're a CA student who has passed the CKE and SOA and is now worrying about the UFE so you can get a bonus at your company and not a high schooler who doesn't even know what CA's do and just want to become one because you think you'll make a six digit salary.

What about option 3? Goes to Waterloo and is in the MAcc program and exempt from the CKE and SOA and is worried about the UFE.

Really, was it even worth asking?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AZK AZK

@IanSharer wrote

Why are you so judgmental? when you are just a "high schooler who doesn't even know what CA's do".
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mikey12y mikey12y
That's nice. I dunno buddy just likes to comment on everything I post? lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0