yconic - What are your study tips for a Grade 11 student
Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

What are your study tips for a Grade 11 student

In grade 9 and grade 10, I had fairly bad study habits where I would just listen to the teacher in class but still managed to get easy 90's.
I had also switched schools now to a new school, but now its not working out the same for me, I am taking all 3 sciences and with the bad habits, in the beginning of the year I hadn't started off too well, although now I've managed to change my habits up a tad bit.
Now, I go ahead of the class as much as I can and rewrite notes from the textbook, whatever seems important, and focus a lot more rather than waste my time procrastinating.. oh god procrastination will be the end of me.

I want to know what are your personal study tips, and also what would you suggest I start to do?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
You shouldn't even need any motivation to study given that your parents will beat you with naan if you don't come home with the A.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Ur so mean
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Where the lie though lool
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Hi there! In addition to reading the textbook and writing notes, I would suggest that you try and explain what you're learning to someone else. If you can make someone else who have not taken the course or may not know anything about the topic understand what you're talking about, it means that you've encoded the information well into your brain and that you know the content really well.

Alyssa
yconic Student Ambassador
Was this helpful? Yes 1

don't study test last minute like I do.
I have a advanced functions test tomorrow and I just started studying now
its 1:55 am.
If you want a 90+ study a day or two ahead or right when you hand in ur homework the same day when u come home study even if they teacher did not announce the test yet.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Rip I have an advanced function test tomorrow too.. Trig identities are so annoying lol.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Ahaha, ill make sure to keep this in mind, thanks :)-- hope you did fine of the test
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Try to study and go over ur notes everyday. Even if u don't have homework. Just reread what u did in class and try example problems u did in class for math. If you struggle in math then don't just do the questions assigned. Do more. And do it the day of. Don't save it for last min then u will not get to study everything u want. If you struggle in the sciences make sure u keep up on ur work never ever slack as it will bite u in the ass later in the year. Learn it now when u have the time because grade 12 you will not have time. Get good study habits and figure what works for you to study. Cause come grade 12 every damn test matters. Get ur crap together and build a durable routine. Always stay on top of ur stuff and if u can ahead. Ik u gotta life so do relax and chill. Get ur crap down right after school so u can do extra stuff or just chill near the end of the day. Yes ur phone is prob so much fun and it's distracting to text ur friends. Distractions will always be there. But u screw up in grade 12... you will not get where u want for university and u will not be able to go back and fix it. Work hard now.  Good luck (:
Was this helpful? Yes 2

thank you so much :) !!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This is an odd one but if you are somebody who can't help but do assignments last minute like me, double check your class' late submission policy! Often (moreso with written assignments like essays but this could apply to others!) if you take the extra day to really perfect your assignment, then you can make up for any penalties given/the mark you would've gotten if you had rushed it just for the sake of handing it in.
That wasn't really a 'study' tip, but also I find that being able to teach a lesson or a concept to somebody else when studying is REALLY beneficial. It helps you to put things into your own understanding, making sure that you actually do understand the topic. And last one, don't be afraid to get help if you don't understand something! Invest in a good tutor (math/science)! Getting a tutor helped boost my mark 22% in just a few weeks. 
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Ah, thank you!!!

Just to let you know, I do indeed have a tutor, I used to teach my classmates concepts but I recently stopped :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0