yconic - What are your thoughts on Carleton University?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

What are your thoughts on Carleton University?

A photo of seamusotoole4 seamusotoole4
I'm in grade 12 at a school in Ottawa and want to study criminology in hopes to one day be a detective with the RCMP. I want to go local since it's cheaper, and OttawaU doesn't have criminology degrees. I bought the "Top Universities in Canada" issue of Macleans and it ranked Carleton at #7 in the middle sized category. I thought this was pretty good, but also hear things about it being a poor quality school, infamously known as 'Last Chance U" I have pretty decent grades (85% average first semester) so being admitted to perhaps a different, more prestigious but still somewhat close to Ottawa shouldn't be an issue.
So I was wondering if any Carleton students could give me their honest opinions about the school.
Thanks a lot, your input would be much appreciated.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of clairec21 clairec21
I'm in grade 12 too and I've been accepted to both OttawaU and Carleton.
Carleton definitely isn't the best school out there. The only reason I like it more that Ottawa is because I prefer the program that I applied to at Carleton. But at the same time, I'm 99% sure I wont be going there. Carleton's tuition is also higher than a lot of Ontario Universities, but they do give out generous scholarships.
Personally, if you get the chance to go to a better school than Carleton, I think you should.
Again, I don't actually attend Carleton, so I'm not sure how useful my opinion is.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
People who say Carleton is "Last Chance U" are 20 years behind schedule. Carleton WAS a school with low standards in the early 90's. Now it has several prestigious programs that are constantly ranked as THE best or some of the top in the country.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of zensloth zensloth

@ARMY101 wrote
People who say Carleton is "Last Chance U" are 20 years behind schedule. Carleton WAS a school with low standards in the early 90's. Now it has several prestigious programs that are constantly ranked as THE best or some of the top in the country.

^ Like journalism. One o' the best. My friend's going for crim there.

As I'm heading to an art school, my only opinion is that they have a pretty campus. :D
And I like their train. And cafeteria. The first-year logical philosophy professor is interesting (and hot). [size=3](I just went for a weekend, so this is the extent of my knowledge. :D)[/size]
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I go to western and sometimes i wish i went to Carleton. I'm serious, so don't flame/troll me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of poeticallydemented poeticallydemented

@seamusotoole4 wrote
I want to go local since it's cheaper, and OttawaU doesn't have criminology degrees.

University of Ottawa does do criminology... I know two people there majoring in crim.
Was this helpful? Yes 0