yconic - What bba/bcomm programs to apply to?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

What bba/bcomm programs to apply to?

A photo of jobro6000 jobro6000
I am currently at utsc going for my bba non co-op, I want to transfer.

My question is what bba/bcomm programs do I have a chance to get into with a 3.0 gpa?

Was this helpful? Yes 0
20 replies

A photo of xxMoonCakezxx xxMoonCakezxx
How hard is it to get good grades at UTSC bba?

Why do you want to transfer?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

well I have nothing to compare it to, but I wouldn't say it was hard or easy. I don't like the feel of the school. I think because it is a commuter school among other reasons.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of asian123 asian123

@jobro6000 wrote
well I have nothing to compare it to, but I wouldn't say it was hard or easy. I don't like the feel of the school. I think because it is a commuter school among other reasons.

then u probly wont like uoft rotman or utm.

how about,

ryerson, ubc, mcgill, concordia?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I've been looking around, and I was considering the bba program at laurier. Anyone know what kind of gpa Laurier needs for transfer students for 2nd year?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Thomas1025 Thomas1025
Anybody know some of the better BBA programs in ontario, I've heard mixed results from everybody. Some say Waterloo, some say Queens, some say York. Any advice?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@jobro6000 wrote
I've been looking around, and I was considering the bba program at laurier. Anyone know what kind of gpa Laurier needs for transfer students for 2nd year?

Min. 8.0 GPA to be considered, probably at least 9.0 - 10.0 +
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Thomas1025 wrote
Anybody know some of the better BBA programs in ontario, I've heard mixed results from everybody. Some say Waterloo, some say Queens, some say York. Any advice?

Queen's Commerce
Western + Ivey AEO
Schulich BBA/iBBA
Laurier BBA
Rotman Commerce
Waterloo AFM- PA/FM (Accounting, not business)
Laurier/Waterloo DD (BBA + CS, BBA + BMath)
Waterloo Math/CA

McMaster- Degroote- BComm
Brock BAcc
UTM Management
Brock BBA
Carleton-Sprott- BComm

As you can see, there is not a whole lot of BBA programs, but there are the BComm programs, plus the accounting programs and specifically CA programs and the Double Degrees. The first group are some of the better programs, in no particular order, although the first three are often considered the best threee business programs in Ontario. Also consider McGill and UBC.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of illuminati illuminati
Transfer friendly schools are Alberta, Concordia and Laurier.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Do you think I have a chance to get into Laurier BBA with a 3.0-3.1 gpa? Also what other schools in Ontario could I get into with that?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Do you think I have a chance to get into Laurier BBA with a 3.0-3.1 gpa? Also what other schools in Ontario could I get into with that?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@jobro6000 wrote

Try McMaster Degroote. To get into Business I (second year?) they require you to have:
1. Completion of 30 units of credit in the Fall/Winter session (September to April)
2. A cumulative average (CA) of 7.0 (70%) or above
3. No failed or repeated courses
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@jobro6000 wrote

Minimum B- with Laurier's GPA Scale, so you will have a chance. I really don't have much of a clue otherwise. Try checking the old forum to see if anyone transferred or knew anything about it. Good luck.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

thanks g93 for the quick replies
Was this helpful? Yes 0

McGill: not much is mentioned about procedures for external transfers, but I would contact their administrative office to get further details.

McMaster: you'll need a 70% and all of the required courses, and you're likely guaranteed.

Laurier: depends on the field of applicants, but 3.0 GPA should be safe.

Concordia: Probably your safest bet as I hear that it is a transfer friendly school.

Queens: No chance. Min. B+ avg needed with A- being the avg GPA of accepted students. Also supp needed.

Sauder: checks your marks (min. C+ GPA) and your supp. From what I’ve heard the competitive GPA range is B+, but you’ll still have a great shot if you produce an amazing supp. You should apply there seeing that it is the only top tier school where you have some chance of getting in.

Rotman: No chance. They won’t even look at your app if you have a GPA lower than 3.7.

Western: For BMOS, 65% avg at least.

Schulich: No chance. A 90% avg from first year studies plus supp.

Ryerson: Guaranteed entry.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of peterv peterv
I've applied to a few of the business administration / commerce programs.

I think Lakehead is pretty good since it has coop with their degrees.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Transferring to McGill for Management:
Based soley on marks as well as the demand or availability of spaces in program.

Requirements:
* One semester of differential calculus
* One semester of integral calculus (second term calculus?)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kaitx kaitx
University of Ontario also has a great commerce program. And i'd say York for the BBA program.
If you had higher grades, definitely Queens should be your top choice or Rotman commerce! You could always stay another year at your current school, increase your grades, and then transfer to a more prestigious university? Up to you. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of vincerz vincerz
I'm not trying to be one of those assholes that are going to be like "MY SCHOOL IS HARD TO GET INTO!!" but with your GPA I wouldn't say you are "safe".

You have the rest of this term to up your GPA so I'd recommend that.

Laurier is very transfer friendly. Being involved and all made me think I recognized about half the population of BBAs in my year but boy was there a huge change in faces this year (2nd year). Turns out there's only about 700 of us left and that's factoring in all the transfer applicants and I know quite a lot (mostly econ students, some from other schools, some with diplomas or associate degrees) meaning a lot dropped out/failed too.

But regardless, the school accepts a lot of transfer students. The minimum GPA I believe is 8.0 which is a 3.0 which is why you're not really "safe". There's also a larger focus on your business classes (BU 111 and 121 equivalents). Personally, all the econ students that transferred in that I know had roughly a 10.0 (3.7) and I know someone else who claims they had a B+ at QC - these individuals are probably above par though since they all got into BBA co-op lol.

Honestly, work hard and up your GPA a bit and you'll have a fair shot. WLU accepts a hella lot to make up for the hella lot of failures. From an academic perspective (ignoring the social reasons) if I could go back in time I'd do first year econ at WLU or a business program at another school and transfer in here for 2nd year. First year is stupid.. large lectures, labs taught by TAs who all mark on different levels causing huge discrepancy, stupid projects.. and BU 111 and 121, which are just a big jumble of like a hundred different business topics thrown together to give you an introduction even though I think it was kind of stupid (from what I know other schools dont do this). Not to mention these courses - more so for the BBA sections with harder exams - was killer on your GPA (B- average across all students).
Second year is A LOTbetter.

edit: if anyone reads that that's looking forward to coming here; sorry it's not THAT bad. Almost all schools are like that in first year - especially UofT (large classes, vague huge content intro courses). 2nd year here (and I'm sure with most schools as well) has smaller classrooms where you bond with your classmates more. The only 2 business schools that I know of that start right off the bat in small class environments encouraging participation/interactive learning are Schulich and Queens.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of truetrue1010 truetrue1010
Hi,

I am a current UTSC student as well, my GPA practically the same as yours and I have applied to laurier... just a question though, cause I was looking up the website and it says that min average is a C however a higher gpa would be better (if I recall correctly) is there a link where is specifies a 3.0+ GPA requirement... sorry just a bit stressed...

OP, how did you find the exams so far?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@truetrue1010 wrote
Hi,

I am a current UTSC student as well, my GPA practically the same as yours and I have applied to laurier... just a question though, cause I was looking up the website and it says that min average is a C however a higher gpa would be better (if I recall correctly) is there a link where is specifies a 3.0+ GPA requirement... sorry just a bit stressed...

OP, how did you find the exams so far?

Minimum B-, which is a 2.70 GPA, and obviously the higher the better.
Was this helpful? Yes 0