yconic - What chances do I have of getting a scholarship?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

What chances do I have of getting a scholarship?

A photo of Haala93 Haala93
I'm new to Canada I've only been here for a semester of school and My grades didn't really do that well. My Cumulative Average is 80% after Grade 11(which is really bad). And everything I've worked for in the previous years count for nothing even though I had a 4.0 GPA But I'm fairly confident I can get above 90's in all my classes next year and am concerned about whether or not my grade 11 marks will greatly effect my chances of getting a scholarship because the only volunteer work currently going towards my record is the little I did the past semester.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
14 replies

A photo of vel vel
Grade 11 marks mean crap. Buck up in Grade 12 and hit it out of the park first semester. Watch the scholarships come rolling in (and bitches of course).

Good luck. Write a lot of those essay based ones. RBC also has an immigrant scholarship every year, so you can start working on that one. Chances are less, but it's always worth a shot right?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of vel vel
Grade 11 marks mean crap. Buck up in Grade 12 and hit it out of the park first semester. Watch the scholarships come rolling in (and bitches of course).

Good luck. Write a lot of those essay based ones. RBC also has an immigrant scholarship every year, so you can start working on that one. Chances are less, but it's always worth a shot right?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks but an Immigrant scholarship doesn't apply to me sadly because I was born in Canada just lived abroad since 8th grade. Thank you for the advice though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of vel vel
Aim for QEII and highest entrance award at the universities you are applying to.

On the side apply for those essay and character based ones (the latter only if you have significant leadership and community service merits)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@vel wrote

Grade 11 marks do NOT mean crap. They actually matter, one way or the other.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of vel vel

@econnected wrote

@vel wrote

Should have been clearer.

Grade 11 marks MAY increase your chances of getting early acceptance.

Apart from that, they count for nothing that can't be trumped with one brilliant semester in senior year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup
Ignore the people saying grade 11 marks mean crap.

To the guy above, you say grade 11 marks may increase your chances for early acceptance? Early acceptance = Grade 11 marks or 1st sem. midterms...

They WILL look at, or at least have access to, grade 11 marks. I'm almost sure they do, and it is a good thing for scholarships to see commitment.

Asides from this, a strong grade 11 performance indicates a good base for another strong grade 12 year. You got 80% in grade 11, which is perfectly okay, with a bit of effort I'm sure you can pull that up. Don't go on thinking that grade 11 marks mean nothing and thus it is a year to screw up - no. It builds important experience, skill, and passion - for me at least.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel

@vel wrote

@econnected wrote

@vel wrote

Apart from that, they count for nothing that can't be trumped with one brilliant semester in senior year.

A bunch of the scholarships I received looked at grade 11 marks. I think one looked at grade 10 too
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Meridian Meridian
I think vel was just trying to create a positive position for Haala to work from going forward.

Grade 11 marks were used for all the major awards for which I applied / received. Some schools (ie McGill) even note they are included in Major entrance awards calculations right in the application site.

So your single grade 11 term with an 80% will not help you earn the big bucks. As vel said, you will need to aim for the 90% or 95% plateau in your grade 12 marks for the entrance awards.

You are probably too late / too little on EC's to be considering the Loran/TD/Chancellors/Presidents - unless there is some amazing stuff you did prior to coming back to Canada.

Suggest you focus specifically on your planned University(s) to see what they have to offer in scholarships. Some of them have alot (McGill) where others have almost none (MAC). Some schools like Ottawa/Carleton spread the scholarship around pretty liberally just based on grade 12 ave of +90%.

Also look for local scholarships in your current community/school. They wont be well known or show up on studentawards - but there can be some significant $$ there.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@vel wrote

@econnected wrote

@vel wrote

I was going to reply but waazup and ktel said it. READ what they said. Have I made myself clear this time?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of vel vel
Sure you have. But all of it is irrelevant to what OP wants. I was just trying to inform him that all is not lost because of the marks he has got prior to his senior year.

Sure there are tons of scholarships out there that look at your entire high school career's grades, but on the flip-side there are tons that only care about your senior year grades and whatever essays might be required.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

Oh! Thanks a lot! That clears up a lot for me :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych

@waazup wrote
Don't go on thinking that grade 11 marks mean nothing and thus it is a year to screw up - no. It builds important experience, skill, and passion - for me at least.

Screwing up builds more character and life skills than succeeding.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted