yconic - What courses did you take this year that is helpful in Business?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

What courses did you take this year that is helpful in Business?

A photo of Keiser561993 Keiser561993
Was this helpful? Yes 0
21 replies

A photo of smarty1 smarty1
For Business, I think Data Management, Economics, Accounting, and Financial Securities are very helpful, since we'll cover what we learned from these four courses at one point in University, for what I've heard.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of reirameso reirameso
In high school, I took Data Management, Calculus and International Business - all very useful.

What other courses I wish I took...
- ECONOMICS (!!!!!)
- Accounting
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dankup dankup
Grade 9: Business and Computer Science
Grade 10: Introduction to Business
Grade 11: Accounting, Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Grade 12: International Business, Accounting, Economics, Business Management

All the courses are extremely useful except entrepreneurship and international business, although they both give you a 90% because they're so easy.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of blackjack blackjack
damn the only courses my school offers is data management and int. business.. and int business is pretty useless x.x
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of noxx98 noxx98
No highschool course will help you much past first year. Take courses you'll enjoy.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of smarty1 smarty1

@blackjack wrote
damn the only courses my school offers is data management and int. business.. and int business is pretty useless x.x

+1
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Happy123 Happy123
Math and Business
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@smarty1 wrote
For Business, I think Data Management, Economics, Accounting, and Financial Securities are very helpful, since we'll cover what we learned from these four courses at one point in University, for what I've heard.

I would agree. I wish our school had Financial Securities.

Our school does have Business Leadership (management). It's pretty useless but that could just be the teacher.

There's also an Entrepreneurship course in Grade 11. It was alright. Light workload, summative was kind of cool, learned a little about business. The year before I took it the course was considered one of the better in the school, they used to do all kinds of fun stuff. But I got the new crappy teacher and it wasn't as good.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of g93 g93

@Keiser561993 wrote

@noxx98 wrote
No highschool course will help you much past first year. Take courses you'll enjoy.

Really ? Why ?

You cover what you learn in high school in first year (and often more), so what you do in later years is much more advanced (or at least different) than anything you would learn in high school.

But if you take it in high school, you will do better in first year, and could continue to do well in the following years. For example, first year accounting is basically the same as Gr12 accounting, so if you took it you can do really well in first year, and build upon that for later years.

But, if you don't take the courses in high school, you can still get through university no problem (most likely).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Mar Mar
Math, Calculus and Economics

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of firmament104 firmament104
Is Calculus necessary for business? I'm going to take BCcom pre-requisites in my first year while in the faculty of social sciences. (odd combo, I know. But I need to decide on a career path, so I'm going to take a bunch of courses that interest me and take pre-reqs for business since it doesn't start till third year.) I just dropped calculus because I didn't think I needed it...but does it really help?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jennyau jennyau
Economics, International Business, Accounting, Data Management (Calculus?)

I don't think it will help that much, but they are quite easy and boost up my average so that was the main reason I took it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@firmament104 wrote
Is Calculus necessary for business? I'm going to take BCcom pre-requisites in my first year while in the faculty of social sciences. (odd combo, I know. But I need to decide on a career path, so I'm going to take a bunch of courses that interest me and take pre-reqs for business since it doesn't start till third year.) I just dropped calculus because I didn't think I needed it...but does it really help?

I believe that calculus is madatory in first year university, and typically the fail rates are pretty high, so I'd think it's a good idea.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Abobkaty Abobkaty

@firmament104 wrote

I am in calculus and I hope that it will help me when I study business!
I love math anyway! Sooo much fun for me..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AsianFail93 AsianFail93
Data management
Accounting
Comp sci (according to HS teachers - stats in uni does programming)

Got kicked from finance (they felt like closing a section of it)
Did not take econ
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Serendipity Serendipity
Math IB HL (can skip first year calc)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of slader23 slader23
Advanced Functions, Calculus, International Business(just learned easy terminology".
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of imsyed imsyed
Alevels Economics, Accounts and Pure Math. *for those who dont know its pretty similar to the IB*
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of athrunxo athrunxo
Data, Economics, International Business & hopefully finance next semester
Was this helpful? Yes 0