yconic - What courses should I take?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

What courses should I take?

A photo of s1995 s1995
Hi everyone, I'm currently a grade 10 student and I most definately want to attend university after I graduate. I was thinking of going into something computer or business related but I'm stuck on if I should take chemistry or not. My marks for midterms for the following grade 10 courses were:

English (academic) - 83
Science (academic) - 83
Math (applied) - 85 - I am going to summer school so I can transfer to university math next year because applied is too easy for me.

Those are the main 3 subjects that I need for the follow years to come.
I'm stuck on what classes I should take but as of now I took :

Functions - MCR3U
English - ENG3U
Physics - SPH3U
Chemistry - SCH3U
Computer Science - ICS3U (I took this course this year as well)
Comptuer Technology - TEJ3M

*Religion and open media arts dont really matter..

What do you think I should go from here? Do I really need chemistry for computer - related courses because I'm not a big fan of it from grade 10 as we just finished the unit.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
32 replies

A photo of g93 g93
You don't need chemistry to go into business, or computer science, although I think computer engineering or software engineering you may need it. You can check the prerequisites on the university sites. If you are just doing a Waterloo/Laurier Business/Computer Science double degree, you won't need chem, but I think all engineering programs require physics and chemistry (that I have seen).

I took chemistry and did not like it at all, but it was to keep my options open (took physics as well). I decided I was going into business, and dropped chem as a result.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of s1995 s1995
Alright thanks, I heard chemistry is really hard in grade 11 compared to grade 10 (just like any other science) and I got around 78% average in my chemistry unit in grade 10..Would my mark go down significantly? and what if I do bad and get like 70%, will that affect me in grade 12?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@s1995 wrote
Alright thanks, I heard chemistry is really hard in grade 11 compared to grade 10 (just like any other science) and I got around 78% average in my chemistry unit in grade 10..Would my mark go down significantly? and what if I do bad and get like 70%, will that affect me in grade 12?

I found Grade 11 chemistry insanely easy. I never wrote any notes down, never did any homework, never studied, and could count the number of times my textbook was opened on one hand, and managed to pull of a pretty good mark. Most people found it quite easy.

Grade 12 chemistry is a bigger step up.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of s1995 s1995
What do you think about math as well? I'm taking grade 10 applied and I'm getting an 85 and have never done homework once, nor studied and I'm not trying..You think if I do my homework daily and study decently I'll be able to get between an 80-84 in grade 11 university?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@s1995 wrote
What do you think about math as well? I'm taking grade 10 applied and I'm getting an 85 and have never done homework once, nor studied and I'm not trying..You think if I do my homework daily and study decently I'll be able to get between an 80-84 in grade 11 university?

Grade 11 math is usually a big step up for most people. It's nothing impossible, but it's probably not going to be easy. Applied is supposed to be 5-10% lower than academic, and MCR 3U often drops people 5-10%, so it will be tough. If you do all of your homework and focus, go in for extra help when needed, there's no reason an 80 (or higher) is out of reach. Be prepared to get a tutor if things go south- some people end up needing a tutor as they are not ready for it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of s1995 s1995
Alright thank you so much I tink I'm pretty mcuh set on what I'll take next year. I honestly regret not taking academic math..

As of now my courses for next year will be:

eng3u
mcr3u
sph3u
sch3u
ics3u
tej3m
hre3m
asm3o

Is there anything else about grade 11 I should be aware of? any tips or suggestions?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of jelly jelly

@g93 wrote

@s1995 wrote

I found Grade 11 chemistry insanely easy. I never wrote any notes down, never did any homework, never studied, and could count the number of times my textbook was opened on one hand, and managed to pull of a pretty good mark. Most people found it quite easy.

Grade 12 chemistry is a bigger step up.

I'm a grade 11 student, and I also found grade 11 chemistry fairly easy. My final was an 85, but I blame that mostly on my communication mark, which was in the mid-low 70s. My teacher was very strict on significant digits/writing units properly. I was getting a ~90 during the midterm, and the communication section really killed my marks. I didn't do any homework either, only studied to review formulas (didn't get a formula sheet), and we only got an electronic copy of the text book, which I used like... once. My grade 10 science final was also an 85, where I did extremely well on all the tests (around 95 on each of them) but my teacher managed to give me 70s on stuff like the CPT. Oh well. Grade 11 chemistry is way more mathematical than grade 10, so if you're at least decent at math, pulling an 80 should be no problem at all.

I really hope you can handle academic/university math, I'm not going to lie, I'm not particularly impressed by an 85 in applied math. I found that MCR3U was not a hard course at all, but it is harder than grade 10 academic math. I went from 93 in grade 9 to 88 in grade 10 to 83 in grade 11 lol. Never did a piece of homework in those courses, but did study through reading the book before tests for ~30 minutes. Doing all your homework should easily ensure >80 as mentioned. Unit 1 and 6 were my worst units in functions, got a 58 in unit 1 and 63 in unit 6 haha. Had plenty of 95s+ in between.

If you already took Computer Science (ICS3U) I would suggest taking grade 12 computer science (ICS4U) or another grade 12 course. Most commonly, you could take data management or advanced functions if you are somewhat confident in your math skills.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of s1995 s1995
85 in applied math is garbage, the course is too easy and I feel like I'm a little child in that class, as I said though I havn't done homework nor studied once and next year in the 3u course I will be putting my main focus on the course..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Grade 11 stuff is in general very easy compared to grade 12 stuff.
In any case, it depends on how much you tried for grade 10. If you didn't try at all or not that much and still got an 80+, then it's fairly certain you'll do well in grade 11 and 12 also. If you tried really hard in grade 10, then you'll have to try even harder for grade 11 and even more for grade 12.

My advice? You're not going into sciences, so don't take sciences or take physics and not chemistry because chemistry is much harder than physics(unless you love chemistry). If I was in your position, I would take grade 12 bird courses(geography/history) in grade 11 so you have less pressure in grade 12 because you'll have a bigger pool of marks to choose from for your top 6. I didn't have this luxury of getting advice from older grades when I was in your position, so I took all 3 sciences in grade 11, and I did exceptionally well in them, but when time came and I had to choose, I realized I hated the sciences and wanted to go into business, but I had already chosen my grade 12 courses so I had to go through the agonizing process of dropping/adding courses with guidance.

If you're still undecided, go with the sciences and see whether or not you like them.

Good luck.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of s1995 s1995
But I still may go into something that involves science pre req like computer - related in university (like computer science, engineering)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango
hey there. I really want to put this out there: since you are not 100% sure on what you want to go into for uni yet, definitely take phys & chem just in case. i assume you dont like bio due to memorization. and there is no point in taking only 1 sci because its better to have 2 of the 3. the course list you listed earlier are good. btw is hre a requirement for your school (catholic)? or are you just interested in it?

good luck with upgrading to academic. i know some1 who upgraded from a college english to a univ. level english and succeeded, he did it without having to take an extra year. as long as you put in the initiative, youll be fine. idk about applied gr 10 but academic gr 10 was a joke. even with enhanced. gr 11 a little harder but its very straight fwd stuff. i think i dropped 2% from gr 10 to gr 11 but it honestly depends on the teacher.

chem gr 11 was actually pretty easy since they focus a lot on calculations and formulas. just get your basic stoichiometry down and youre good for the rest of the course. gr 12 is definitely a large step up there, i still did well (actually better cause my teacher did a small mark increase for people who he felt deserved it); but yeah definitely get your foundations down for gr 11.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MYDARKHEALTHSCIFANTASY MYDARKHEALTHSCIFANTASY
I'm going to be straight up and tell you that anybody who brags about "not studying" and saying that they achieved like an 80-85 and who seem to be satisfied or "think they can do better" are kidding themselves.

Let me give you the straight facts.

Fact: The only reputable marks are 90+.
Fact: An 80 is a terrible mark
Fact: An 85 is a mediocre mark
Fact: If you don't do your homework, you will get stomped by grade 12. You know why universities don't look at anything except for grade 12? Because everything before then is just practise. Practise for studying and time management. Everything up until grade 12 is so that when you get to grade 12, you will know how to study.

I know people who didn't study up until grade 12 and when grade 12 hit still did not study. You want to get into university for sure? Do your homework every night, no matter how tedious or trivial it seems, no matter how much you think you "know it already". Don't lose a single mark because of laziness.

Nerds like the people in this thread who talk big about "counting the amount of times I opened a chem textbook on one hand" or who "never did any homework" are laughable. I did my homework every night, I studied, and I rolled big with a 95% average. Anyone who tells you otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about. Grade 11 is a huge step up from grade 12. In grade 12, you will get hosed by concepts, and by homework. If you don't keep on top of it, finish it all no matter how stressful or boring it is, no matter how much you want to cut corners, and you'll be staring at an 85 at midterm. It's fine if you want to go to a mediocre university for engineering or comp sci, but if you want to play big in UofT or Waterloo, you'll need that 90.

Oh and yeah you'll need chem for ANY engineering program pretty much anywhere in Canada.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of chatmike chatmike

@MYDARKHEALTHSCIFANTASY wrote
It's fine if you want to go to a mediocre university for engineering or comp sci, but if you want to play big in UofT or Waterloo, you'll need that 90.

Not true. A good supp App and a low 80 is all you need for most engineering streams.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@chatmike wrote

It's fine if you want to go to a mediocre university for engineering or comp sci, but if you want to play big in UofT or Waterloo, you'll need that 90.

Not true. A good supp App and a low 80 is all you need for most engineering streams.

I don't know anyone who got a "low 80" and went to big boy universities like UofT or Waterloo for engineering

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@chatmike wrote

I don't know anyone who got a "low 80" and went to big boy universities like UofT or Waterloo for engineering

I got an early conditional offer in march for mechanical at UW with an 83.

P.S. I'm one of those people you love. Y'know, the ones who say they do no homework and aren't at their full potential.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of s1995 s1995

@aimango wrote
hey there. I really want to put this out there: since you are not 100% sure on what you want to go into for uni yet, definitely take phys & chem just in case. i assume you dont like bio due to memorization. and there is no point in taking only 1 sci because its better to have 2 of the 3. the course list you listed earlier are good. btw is hre a requirement for your school (catholic)? or are you just interested in it?

good luck with upgrading to academic. i know some1 who upgraded from a college english to a univ. level english and succeeded, he did it without having to take an extra year. as long as you put in the initiative, youll be fine. idk about applied gr 10 but academic gr 10 was a joke. even with enhanced. gr 11 a little harder but its very straight fwd stuff. i think i dropped 2% from gr 10 to gr 11 but it honestly depends on the teacher.

chem gr 11 was actually pretty easy since they focus a lot on calculations and formulas. just get your basic stoichiometry down and youre good for the rest of the course. gr 12 is definitely a large step up there, i still did well (actually better cause my teacher did a small mark increase for people who he felt deserved it); but yeah definitely get your foundations down for gr 11.

Yes unfortuneately it is mandatory (catholic school)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of s1995 s1995

I'm going to be straight up and tell you that anybody who brags about "not studying" and saying that they achieved like an 80-85 and who seem to be satisfied or "think they can do better" are kidding themselves.

Let me give you the straight facts.

Fact: The only reputable marks are 90+.
Fact: An 80 is a terrible mark
Fact: An 85 is a mediocre mark
Fact: If you don't do your homework, you will get stomped by grade 12. You know why universities don't look at anything except for grade 12? Because everything before then is just practise. Practise for studying and time management. Everything up until grade 12 is so that when you get to grade 12, you will know how to study.

I said I never do homework and didnt study for APPLIED math. As stated before, I feel like the class is too easy and I shouldn't be there..I study for english and and science though and do my homework daily for those two classes. And in my opinion, an 80-85 is a decent mark, not terrible..maybe an 80 but around 83-84 is decent.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

Nerds like the people in this thread who talk big about "counting the amount of times I opened a chem textbook on one hand" or who "never did any homework" are laughable. I did my homework every night, I studied, and I rolled big with a 95% average. Anyone who tells you otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about.

So nerds are people that don't do homework now? That's new.

The only reason I mentioned that is to show that it is an easy course. In physics, you are not going to be able to get above 90 without opening your textbook. Chem you can do it in (not everyone can), so it is easier.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of clairec21 clairec21

@g93 wrote

@s1995 wrote

Grade 11 math is usually a big step up for most people. It's nothing impossible, but it's probably not going to be easy. Applied is supposed to be 5-10% lower than academic, and MCR 3U often drops people 5-10%, so it will be tough. If you do all of your homework and focus, go in for extra help when needed, there's no reason an 80 (or higher) is out of reach. Be prepared to get a tutor if things go south- some people end up needing a tutor as they are not ready for it.

I actually found MCR 3U to be really easy. I went from a 78 in Grade 10 math to a 92 in MCR 3U.

And yeah, Grade 11 chem is pretty easy. Easier than 11 bio, I would say. I can't vouch for grade 12 though. The only grade 12 science I took was bio.

But really, don't stress about what grade 11 courses to take. As long as you have a general idea of what you want to do in University, you'll be fine for picking courses.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of s1995 s1995
Alright, thank you so much for all the input guys..If I finish grade 11 with an 84-87 average is that decent for grade 12?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@s1995 wrote
Alright, thank you so much for all the input guys..If I finish grade 11 with an 84-87 average is that decent for grade 12?

You have two options with grade 11:

A) Do the bare minimum and enjoy your year. (HOWEVER, MAKE SURE YOU KNOW ALL THE MATERIAL)

B) Try hard and get 5-10% above the cut off for your grade 12 applications so you'll get early acceptance. (so usually >90%)

There is zero point in compromising. Either do one or the other.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote

Nerds like the people in this thread who talk big about "counting the amount of times I opened a chem textbook on one hand" or who "never did any homework" are laughable. I did my homework every night, I studied, and I rolled big with a 95% average. Anyone who tells you otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about.

The only reason I mentioned that is to show that it is an easy course. In physics, you are not going to be able to get above 90 without opening your textbook. Chem you can do it in (not everyone can), so it is easier.

So studying hard and putting in the necessary work required to achieve your goals and dreams is "nerdy", a negative term?

That's logical.

How about this: "Idiots like the people in this thread who talk big about "counting the amount of times I opened a chem textbook on one hand" or who "never did any homework" are laughable. I did my homework every night, I studied, and I rolled big with a 95% average. Anyone who tells you otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about. "
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote

So studying hard and putting in the necessary work required to achieve your goals and dreams is "nerdy", a negative term?

That's logical.

How about this: "Idiots like the people in this thread who talk big about "counting the amount of times I opened a chem textbook on one hand" or who "never did any homework" are laughable. I did my homework every night, I studied, and I rolled big with a 95% average. Anyone who tells you otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about. "

You make it sound like its actually hard to get a 95% average lol.

Our education system is garbage. Quit bragging. Any random kid from China or India will floor a "rolling big 95% average" guy.

lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@g93 wrote

That's logical.

I didn't say that studying hard and working to achieve one's was nerdy (although some people may think that way, but I would not say that, nor would most on this forum). But saying that not studying or doing work or going to class, etc. is nerdy seems a little ridiculous. Since when is that considered nerdy?

I think many people consider people who do well and study nerdy, and most that do well consider nerdy people to be those that play video games all of the time and weird fantasy games and never socialize and never see the sun, etc.

How is it that because I did not put any effort into the course, I cannot tell people that it is easy? That's not logical.

Take me out of the picture for a minute, and I will say that people who tried hard in the class generally found it easy, especially when compared to physics.

Was this helpful? Yes 0