yconic - What do civil engineers do??
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

What do civil engineers do??

A photo of RedOrbit RedOrbit
i dont want to go down this path with the wrong idea of what the job actually is...
Was this helpful? Yes 0
12 replies

A photo of Phase Phase
If you have to ask, then it isn't for you.

Do you know what an engineer is and does to begin with?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Phase wrote

what do they do?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TigerBlood TigerBlood

@Phase wrote

stop being so arrogant, how will a person a know what civil eng is if they dont ask questions? you weren't born knowing that YES, a computer engineering job descriptions&duties include this, this&this.

& to answer OP's question http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/2006/ProfileKeyword.aspx?val=2&val1=2131&val11=civil+engineer&val12=0&val13=0&val14=&val15=0&val16=0

The average annual income for civil engineers in Canada is somewhere in the range of $75,000 to $82,000. Most civil engineers earn between $45,000 and $120,000 a year, depending on their level of expertise and experience. However, those who reach senior engineer or management positions can earn more than $200,000 a year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Phase Phase

@TigerBlood wrote
stop being so arrogant, how will a person a know what civil eng is if they dont ask questions? you weren't born knowing that YES, a computer engineering job descriptions&duties include this, this&this.

First of all, I was not arrogant in my post; just realistic. There is a plethora of valuable information on the internet that would answer all of the OP's questions on engineering. Too many students go into engineering not having the slightest clue of what an engineer does, but do so out of prestige or parental pressure and only to find out that engineering is not for them. If anything, I am doing the OP a big favor.

@TigerBlood wrote
The average annual income for civil engineers in Canada is somewhere in the range of $75,000 to $82,000. Most civil engineers earn between $45,000 and $120,000 a year, depending on their level of expertise and experience. However, those who reach senior engineer or management positions can earn more than $200,000 a year.

Citation needed.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Phase Phase

@RedOrbit wrote

@Phase wrote

what do they do?

Not trying to be condescending, but what really got you interested in civil engineering in the first place? Do you enjoy and are semi-competent in math and physics? Can you see yourself applying the knowledge learned in those fields in your everyday job? Do the real-world applications of math and physics to structures (buildings, dams, wind-mills, etc.) fascinate you?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sllencer sllencer
Lol, it's true you should get a good understanding in civil eng's work. Reading the description off websites, gov't or university... doesn't really answer my question "what does a civil eng do?".
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Phase wrote

@RedOrbit wrote

@Phase wrote

what do they do?

Not trying to be condescending, but what really got you interested in civil engineering in the first place? Do you enjoy and are semi-competent in math and physics? Can you see yourself applying the knowledge learned in those fields in your everyday job? Do the real-world applications of math and physics to structures (buildings, dams, wind-mills, etc.) fascinate you?

well, i was and still am interested in construction and building roads/buildings since i was a kid and thought a civil engineer would be the right path, without aiming too low.

the main thing im worrying about is how much time do i actually like see the project being built up before my eyes instead of sitting in a cubicle doing math calcualtions all day
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@TigerBlood wrote

@Phase wrote

& to answer OP's question http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/2006/ProfileKeyword.aspx?val=2&val1=2131&val11=civil+engineer&val12=0&val13=0&val14=&val15=0&val16=0

link doesnt work for me :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
My boyfriend is a civil engineer and he makes site visits almost every day.

There are SO many paths you could go down as a civil engineer. Use Google, that's a good start. Look at some job postings and see if they sound interesting to you.

@Plethora wrote
Too many students go into engineering not having the slightest clue of what an engineer does, but do so out of prestige or parental pressure and only to find out that engineering is not for them. If anything, I am doing the OP a big favor.

So what? What's exactly wrong with that? People can choose to go into a field for whatever reason they wish. Whether they really like it, just want a stable job, etc. it's not your problem. I really had no clue what engineering really was until I got into it, and turns out I liked it. If I didn't I could've figured out something else
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Phase Phase

@RedOrbit wrote
well, i was and still am interested in construction and building roads/buildings since i was a kid and thought a civil engineer would be the right path, without aiming too low.

the main thing im worrying about is how much time do i actually like see the project being built up before my eyes instead of sitting in a cubicle doing math calcualtions all day

Have you considered civil engineering technician? It's more applied and practical than civil engineering. As for sitting in a cubicle crunching numbers, a computer does all of that although you need a solid understanding of the mathematics. You're mostly going to work in a team of engineers and working on design projects or solving problems, well from my experience of spending a couple of days in a civil engineering firm.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Phase Phase

@ktel wrote
So what? What's exactly wrong with that? People can choose to go into a field for whatever reason they wish. Whether they really like it, just want a stable job, etc. it's not your problem. I really had no clue what engineering really was until I got into it, and turns out I liked it. If I didn't I could've figured out something else

I never said there was anything wrong with it, but I've seen too many students who have regretted ever going into engineering, trapping themselves into thousands of dollars in debt only to dropout and find out that engineering is not for them. They would have really appreciated if they were showed that engineering is not really what its cracked up to be.

Engineering may have worked out for you, but how many of the students in your first year classes graduated with you?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel

@Phase wrote
I never said there was anything wrong with it, but I've seen too many students who have regretted ever going into engineering, trapping themselves into thousands of dollars in debt only to dropout and find out that engineering is not for them. They would have really appreciated if they were showed that engineering is not really what its cracked up to be.

Engineering may have worked out for you, but how many of the students in your first year classes graduated with you?

There's really no way to show people what it's "cracked up to be" without putting them in the situation. You have to try something to figure out whether you like it or not

Probably at least 75% of my 1st year class graduated or will graduate next year, judging roughly on how many people I know who have dropped out.

And you don't need to be a technician to get more applied work, you just need the right kind of job.
Was this helpful? Yes 0