yconic - WHAT DO I DO!?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

WHAT DO I DO!?

A photo of Element1674 Element1674
I'm going into grade 11 next year and I'm planning to take (I have to change my courses still):
SBI3UI
SPH3UI
MCR3UI
HSP3MI (need a group 2 credit)
ENG3UI (summer school, so a spare during day school)
MDM4UI
SES4UI
SCH4UI

How can I balance out these semesters? MCR3UI must be first semester and MDM4UI must be second semester.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I had more or less the same course load as you in grade 11 but I'm not entirely sure how well you memorize, how much work your teacher will assign you etc. so I'm kind of basing this off of my own experience with the teachers at my school:

Semester One:
MCR 3UI
SBI 3UI
SPH 3UI
HSP 3MI

Math is easy as long as you pay attention to the teacher/take good notes,
Biology is fairly straightforward, wasn't a lot of work at my school, as long as you have a good memory, it should be fairly easy to get a good mark
Physics was a hit and miss depending on the unit. All the physics teachers at my school had retired so they got a chemistry teacher to teach us.........................and she didn't really know anything.......................Most of your time in this particular semester would be easily focused on this course. The applications component is super important to understand.
Anthro/Psych/Socio, SUPER easy course, It was a lot of memorization but not impossible.

Semester Two:

MDM 4UI
SCH 4UI
SES 4UI

Data, SO MUCH WORK. I don't know if this is just how my teacher teaches it but literally every second of free time I had was devoted to data. Not because the math was hard, if you have basic math skills, the concepts for the tests are extremely easy to grasp - but because there were SO MANY projects!! And each project took like a good 2-3 days to complete. As a professional procrastinator, I can tell you that even these were impossible to complete ONLY the night before.
Chemistry, EXTREMELY EASY. The only hard unit was Equilibrium in my opinion. Everything else was pretty fun. The first two units for us were not math based at all, just knowledge-based. Very easy to get good marks in.
Earth and Space, fairly easy if you kept on top of the readings, I don't really have anything else to say about this course. For me it was basically about memorization.

You want your spare during this semester so you can focus on DATA PROJECTS!!!!! Although if your teacher does things a little differently then...lucky you! If you have a good idea of which teachers you'll get, I suggest asking around about how much they focus on application, how much work they give, whether you have to be self-taught or not (we all had to teach physics to ourselves...) because obviously the schedule I just posted is what I would've wanted based on the teachers I had!

Good luck and I hope this helps even a little :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Oh dear... Not loving the sound of data. Grade 12 Chem at my school is notoriously hard so I wouldn't really want the amount of data projects to interfere with that. This throws a wrench in my plans lol :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@Element1674 wrote
Oh dear... Not loving the sound of data. Grade 12 Chem at my school is notoriously hard so I wouldn't really want the amount of data projects to interfere with that. This throws a wrench in my plans lol :(

Only one teacher teaches data at my school so that might be why it's so time-consuming ; he can do whatever he wants! Haha I really suggest asking around about Data at your school. However, all the projects really pay off! Almost everybody (even those who were rendered catatonic by Advanced Functions and Calculus) have 90+ in the course thanks to the projects!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

From the what I've heard (at my school) Data is a bit of a bird course. For lack of a better description its essentially the math for those who can't handle calc (though I'm taking calc too in grade 12). People who take M math in grade 11 take it and do well so I hope I'm okay :( I have a 90 in MPM2DI right now.
Was this helpful? Yes 0