yconic - What do people mean by "Favourite Schools"
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

What do people mean by "Favourite Schools"

A photo of iRamie iRamie
I saw on another thread someone was saying that Waterloo has a list of "Favourite" high schools and if you come from there you have another chance?
Do all universities have something like this LOL?
Is this a fact or myth?
What are some of the schools :\
Was this helpful? Yes 0
26 replies

A photo of g93 g93

@iRamie wrote
I saw on another thread someone was saying that Waterloo has a list of "Favourite" high schools and if you come from there you have another chance?
Do all universities have something like this LOL?
Is this a fact or myth?
What are some of the schools :\

It's on their website somewhere if you want to read it, but what they say is that they look at how former graduates of all the schools perform once they get to Waterloo. (And I think they only say it is for math/engineering, but I wouldn't be suprised if it was for all programs)

So if one school has students that always do well at Waterloo, they are going to want those students. I think they apply some sort of calculation that influences your mark. A 70 student is not going to get into a top engineering program even if they are from a "favourite school", and a person with a 98 average and amazing ECs isn't going to be rejected if they're from a crappy school.

In a way it accounts for inflation somewhat, and how well you're taught. I don't know why more schools don't do it (or maybe they don't say they do??? ha ha)

I don't know any of the "favourite schools" off the top of my head, but I'm assuming a lot of the schools with IB/AP etc. will be, some of the legit top-notch private schools, some random others. I am pretty sure that I have heard Waterloo likes my school (don't know for sure, but not only do we have a ton of people going to Waterloo, but it is a high-ranked school and we have some pretty good graduates, and our students always seem to do well at uni), but I'm not naming it :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ecabby ecabby
Certain universities have a list of "favored high schools" whose students have performed well at their university. This is not the case for all schools though, and often it is just here say and rumors
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iRamie iRamie
Thats dumbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
Not fair how we have to suffer for the mistakes past graduates did.
SHIT LOL
And how do you know your school's rankings? Fraser institute rankings only did up to 2009 and my school was 26th :\
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@iRamie wrote
Thats dumbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
Not fair how we have to suffer for the mistakes past graduates did.
crap LOL
And how do you know your school's rankings? Fraser institute rankings only did up to 2009 and my school was 26th :\

Well, if your school's graduates do well then it will benefit you. Two ways to look at it.

If you look at it another way, it might be accounting for inflation. A school may have people with high marks getting in, but then they do poorly because they didn't deserve the grades they got. So now Waterloo would not like the people from their school- completely making this up, but say they take 5% off of their marks (don't know if they do this), in effect they are removing the inflation factor. Could be good, could be bad.

All I know is that my school has consistently been ranked top-25 (at least) by Fraser for many, many years. Our schools has won many awards for various things and in various disciplines, and we have a large number of famous/successful graduates. The students at our school think it's a dump, but it's actually really good. Many of the university reps have also said that our school is good, I don't know if that means too much, but w/e. (Not meaning to boast or anything, as long as I get into university I could care less about my high school).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ecabby ecabby
Fraser Institute don't include private schools in their rankings, do they?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of arviny arviny

@ecabby wrote

Trust me, don't look at the Fraser Institute rankings, they're complete BS.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iRamie iRamie

@arviny wrote

@ecabby wrote

What else is there to look at then? LOL
Or are they private that only universities can look at?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@iRamie wrote

@arviny wrote

@ecabby wrote

Of course universities aren't going to tell you which school they favour. Can you imagine the endless complaints and lawsuits they would get?
This kind of information is so confidential that when my teacher called them on my behalf, they refused to say anything useful to her and told her that everything she asked was private.

I go to a school with AP students. So I hear a lot more things than I should.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@iRamie wrote

@arviny wrote

@ecabby wrote

They're nothing to be taken overly seriously, but is pretty much the best we got.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
My teacher told me representatives from Waterloo did in fact say they have favourite high schools so yeah.

And yeah g93 is right, I read it on the site as well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Haru Haru

@immaculatedx wrote
My teacher told me representatives from Waterloo did in fact say they have favourite high schools so yeah.

link?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of arviny arviny
Overall they look at how well the departments in the school teach you and push you. I mean they need to take into consideration if school A has a very hard chemistry,math, and english department where getting a 90 or a mid 80 is almost unheard of and school B you can do nothing and get 95 in every class. It's only fair and the other reason is that they want to take people who they know will likely graduate. I know for sure two of UW's fav schools since I went to one and attend the other now :D
Kids with low 80s and even high 70s (if they have good ec) get into UW. But don't get the picture wrong, it's hard to get good marks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of g93 g93

@Haru wrote

@immaculatedx wrote

link?

[quote]Does the Faculty of Engineering at Waterloo rank high schools?
We do not rank high schools, but we use an adjustment factor based on historical student performance (first-year university average minus final high school average) from a given school, over the past 8 or more years. This helps us to choose applicants with the highest likelihood of success in our program.[/QUOTE]

http://www.eng.uwaterloo.ca/admissions/Faq/Faq_Admissions.htm
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango
I don't think it's too big of a deal, that's why they have the AIF or else marks would be the only thing that mattered. I know a few people that DID end up dropping out after 1st term simply because they couldn;t handle the difficulty or they weren't used to the workload/party too hard etc.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup
No, they probably don't. What they mean by this is probably that they favour the kids that score the highest on their contests. Now, they don't FAVOUR them, they take into consideration the curriculum, and even if they don't meet the requirements, they can definitely cut them some slack...It's basically the same thing, they are trying just as hard as you.

You may be working the same as other kids. You might have an average of 90. Others may have 88 at your level. Others may have 92 at your level. Keep in mind that the averages do not differ a lot, it'll only be by 2% or so based on teachers, environment, etc. The Ontario curriculum is the Ontario curriculum. However, I HAVE heard private schools give relatively easier marks since the tuition is paid for.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@waazup wrote
No, they probably don't. What they mean by this is probably that they favour the kids that score the highest on their contests. Now, they don't FAVOUR them, they take into consideration the curriculum, and even if they don't meet the requirements, they can definitely cut them some slack...It's basically the same thing, they are trying just as hard as you.

You may be working the same as other kids. You might have an average of 90. Others may have 88 at your level. Others may have 92 at your level. Keep in mind that the averages do not differ a lot, it'll only be by 2% or so based on teachers, environment, etc. The Ontario curriculum is the Ontario curriculum. However, I HAVE heard private schools give relatively easier marks since the tuition is paid for.

If you read the posts, we clearly concluded they do favour certain schools.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
What you have to remember too is that only a few high schools will send enough people to Waterloo for the stats to truly be useful. Only one person in my graduating class went to Waterloo for eng; he would be an unfair representation of how inflated/deflated my high school marks its students or how well we were taught. Just too small of a sample size.

Ultimately, Waterloo's system is going to favour big high schools (2000 students at least) that aren't too far from K-W (because people tend to not stray too far from home) and unfairly give a disadvantage to small to medium-sized high schools and/or high schools that are far from K-W that truly are good schools that mark fairly. That's probably why most universities don't take into consideration which high school you come from: they know that statistics are almost always deceiving. Same reason why you can't get much info from the Fraser Institute rankings: ALL it tells you is which schools' students score highest on the standardized exams Ontario high school students must complete. Your score on any one of the standardized exams is a display of your elementary education (maybe a bit of your secondary education) and your intelligence. Really doesn't say much about the quality of your high school.

Personally, I thought I was much better prepared than most of my university classmates in biology and English and about equally prepared in everything else, and my high school typically ranks in the 400s. And I found that my high school marked pretty fairly. The poor Fraser Institute ranking was really probably a result of my high school's reputation as an athletic school and its position in the crappier part of town. Of the 400 or so students who were in my grade 9 class, probably only 200 were still around in grade 12, 150 of whom graduated in my year, and maybe 40 of whom went to university. All the idiots in my school didn't affect the quality of my pre-university education nor did they cause my grades to be inflated. They were too busy taking C and W courses to bother me in the U/M courses I was taking. And their daily lunchtime fights were nothing but entertaining.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hey mynameismattgotmlgo, (Offtopic but) I posted a question in the UWO Questions, res edition and would like to hear your opinion!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
I'll check it out. All I can probably offer, though, is a historical perspective.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Just thought I'd provide some relevant information:
My brother did U of T track one eng a while ago
The first day they gave everyone a test composed of high school material
All the students did the test and had to write only what school they came from

With this they can compare the results of students compared to their entering HS averages, compensating for inflation when assessing future applicants from different schools.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of amoled123 amoled123
Don't know if I should be saying this, but I'm under no obligation not to :P:

One of my teachers from high school said he called Waterloo about this high school thing. He found out that the person on the phone was coincidentally a former student. So she "answered" his questions.

From what is told, there is a +/- 6 point score that they have for high schools. Most high schools have a 0 score because they don't have enough applicants/students to give "statistically reliable information for". Schools that send lots of students to Waterloo almost for sure have a score. The school's score is then added(or minused) on the percentage average of the student coming in.

Don't take it has truth, but this is what they "apparently" use for the school ranking system. And from what I know only engineering does this, but maybe other faculties do now as well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jzliu jzliu

@amoled123 wrote
Don't know if I should be saying this, but I'm under no obligation not to :P:

One of my teachers from high school said he called Waterloo about this high school thing. He found out that the person on the phone was coincidentally a former student. So she "answered" his questions.

From what is told, there is a +/- 6 point score that they have for high schools. Most high schools have a 0 score because they don't have enough applicants/students to give "statistically reliable information for". Schools that send lots of students to Waterloo almost for sure have a score. The school's score is then added(or minused) on the percentage average of the student coming in.

Don't take it has truth, but this is what they "apparently" use for the school ranking system. And from what I know only engineering does this, but maybe other faculties do now as well.

I heard it was +/- 5
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup

@immaculatedx wrote

@waazup wrote

Well, you concluded that. I gave my opinion.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@waazup wrote

@immaculatedx wrote

@waazup wrote

Well, you concluded that. I gave my opinion.

So you're saying that you don't think they do even though Waterloo says they do :scratch:
Was this helpful? Yes 0