yconic - What do the blind see?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

What do the blind see?

A photo of safarhealthsci1 safarhealthsci1
This was always an interesting thought to me. I have been told that people that are blind from birth cannot see anything at all ( not even black). Most research brings the "imagine your elbow and try to see with it" analogy. To a person who have seen even a little bit the idea of seeing nothing is hard to understand. How does it feel to see nothing? I cannot even imagine that feeling.

I know this is a random post but what do you guys think?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of Zion Zion
Well you're not going to get any responses from blind people. Blind people can't read.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
How would people who are blind from birth be able to describe what they see anyway? If what they see is pure black, how would they know it is pure black?

Nevertheless, thinking more scientifically, our brains know that an absence of light = black. Also, legally blind does not necessarily mean completely, 100% blind. A lot of people who are blind do have some sight, so that could be the reason why you think blind people don't just see black.

EDIT: it would really depend on the person and where exactly his or her problem lies biologically.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of luckylion luckylion
This thread reminds me of a philosophical essay by Thomas Nagel - "What is it like to be a bat". If you have not read it yet, I suggest you to go to the following link. Happy reading.

[url]http://instruct.westvalley.edu/lafave/nagel_nice.html[/url]

We will never quite know what it is like to be a blind person...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of grizzly grizzly

@mynameismattgotmlgo wrote
How would people who are blind from birth be able to describe what they see anyway? If what they see is pure black, how would they know it is pure black?

Nevertheless, thinking more scientifically, our brains know that an absence of light = black. Also, legally blind does not necessarily mean completely, 100% blind. A lot of people who are blind do have some sight, so that could be the reason why you think blind people don't just see black.

EDIT: it would really depend on the person and where exactly his or her problem lies biologically.

i think OP was implying 100% blindness
Was this helpful? Yes 0

That does seem to be the case.

Could probably only be achieved with a complete coronal optic chiasm lesion, which is not likely to be present at birth. If it were, then, based on theories of vision, the person should just see black, like if you or I were in a completely dark room.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
If all they have ever seen is black.. wonder what their dreams would be like o.O

When I try to remember dreams, it's just picture slides.. dunno if my other senses have ever been stimulated in a dream.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DoctorLawyerDentist DoctorLawyerDentist
The blind can see everything in their own tile, but can not attack unless vision is provided by another friendly unit.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@Strive wrote
If all they have ever seen is black.. wonder what their dreams would be like o.O

When I try to remember dreams, it's just picture slides.. dunno if my other senses have ever been stimulated in a dream.

That's actually a really interesting question. Do blind people only dream in sounds? And do deaf people only dream in pictures?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

If they're born that way, then I'd imagine so. I'd also imagine that blind people might see colours, possibly even patterns, while dreaming. If you stimulate certain parts of a blind person's brain with an electric probe, they'll see colours and patterns, and your brain is kind of firing randomly during REM sleep (dreaming), so they might on occasion see colours/patterns. Same idea with deaf people.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SUMmer123456 SUMmer123456
I think it depends on the extent of the deficiency; apparently some blind people can see silhouettes of things in their path of vision.
Was this helpful? Yes 0